Free the Fish

RipkenisGod8

Er, what?

What good will that do to our players? I know you're talking about the ownership/stadium issue, but it's not as if we're a horrible franchise who always comes last, the Marlins fans should never pull anything like that out of respect for the players/manager/office staff. Get the message across another way.

I'd take the Marlins ownership over most in baseball.

Seriously.

Well you, RFerry and Marlins2003 don't have to come. :p Unlike most here who complain the loudest about Loria and company, I'm a season ticketholder and will be in 2007, so I'll be there watching a small band of malcontentents and know-nothings make fools of themselves.

Seriously.

Go back to your room. Take your meds. You are embarassing yourself.

Because everything wrong with the Marlins is Loria's fault. Riiight...

I mean we've had nothing but losing seasons since he came in. And then after all the unpredictable success of the 2005 Marlins, he threw almost the entire team away and replaced them with no-talent rookies, not even trying to get anything decent back. And he's only retained cronies like Beinfest who know nothing about baseball to make sure they run this team into the ground.

Seriously.

Well you, RFerry and Marlins2003 don't have to come. :p Unlike most here who complain the loudest about Loria and company, I'm a season ticketholder and will be in 2007, so I'll be there watching a small band of malcontentents and know-nothings make fools of themselves.

You sure told me!

Have season tickets, will continue to have them. :thumbup

2003 was something that 99% of the Baseball fans out there never expected. Other than that, we have not had a winning season with Loria. Loria owes his soul to the front office. Beinfest and the scouts have kept him from being the laughingstock of baseball, thus far. In the 4 years that he has been owner, he will have his 4th manager. Jeff has forced the Marlins fans to suffer through the emabrressment of having uncoordinated Dolphin cheerleader rejects shake their ass between innings. Jeff has ruined what could've been a season of marvel, by his actions towards Girardi. His attitude and actions have overshadowed the on-field success of the team. His personal issues with Joe coulda been kept quiet until the off-season. Instead, our boys are forced to chase the wild card while rumors swirl about who will be calling the shots next year. Morale killer? We should be a mid-market team. Loria did not deal with the proper lobbyists upon taking ownership of the team, thus crippling any chance we have for a new stadium. If this team could play in a facility similar to what they have in Tampa, we would draw the crowds in swarms. All in all, I guess if Loria is not willing to spend the money necessary to stimulate interest in the team, he should leave it in the hands of someone who CAN and WILL.

2003 was something that 99% of the Baseball fans out there never expected. Other than that, we have not had a winning season with Loria. Loria owes his soul to the front office. Beinfest and the scouts have kept him from being the laughingstock of baseball, thus far. In the 4 years that he has been owner, he will have his 4th manager. Jeff has forced the Marlins fans to suffer through the emabrressment of having uncoordinated Dolphin cheerleader rejects shake their ass between innings. Jeff has ruined what could've been a season of marvel, by his actions towards Girardi. His attitude and actions have overshadowed the on-field success of the team. His personal issues with Joe coulda been kept quiet until the off-season. Instead, our boys are forced to chase the wild card while rumors swirl about who will be calling the shots next year. Morale killer? We should be a mid-market team. Loria did not deal with the proper lobbyists upon taking ownership of the team, thus crippling any chance we have for a new stadium. If this team could play in a facility similar to what they have in Tampa, we would draw the crowds in swarms. All in all, I guess if Loria is not willing to spend the money necessary to stimulate interest in the team, he should leave it in the hands of someone who CAN and WILL.

Makes a lot of sense to me. :thumbup

However we did have a winning season last year (83-79) albeit that was way below expectations.

Maybe I'm just naive, or maybe you're just cynical. But the fact is that the Marlins had problems long before Loria came into the picture, at least going back to the 97 firesale.

And whether anyone expected it or not, we did win a championship in 2003. But he didn't do like Huizenga and turn around and sell. Hell, he went out and did spend extra to bring in Delgado. But go ahead and blame Loria for the 2005 Marlins' consistently slumping offense. Blame him that the State doesn't think the Marlins should get any tax money. Hell, blame the attendance on him too. Blame Loria when Girardi has Hanley trying to bunt with 2 strikes and 2 men on when down in the ninth inning.

This isn't Montreal and it sure isn't Baltimore, where they pay a mid-level payroll and can't do better than being 20 games back by the time the get to Sept. We've had winning & competetive seasons since Loria has been here. It hasn't gone our way the last few years, but at least our games in September have still meant something.

What is it that you all hate so much about him really? Do you honestly believe he's trying to sabotage any new stadium plans? Do you think he was wrong to trade away everyone last offseason? Even after you've seen the new Marlins for a year?

Honestly, short of being able to finance the entire stadium on his own, what do you want from the guy? He's tried to hire the best people he could and the best talent he could. You can't blame for not wanting to lose millions to do it if he doesn't have to.

My problem with Loria is that he embraces a business aproach built around passing blame to the consumer and the venue. Never has one person attempted harder to alienate the consumer in the name of success than Loria. Just for fun, any of you who work, try telling anyone who comes into your store and buys a candy-bar or book that they should just be ashamed they don't support you more, and that goddamn it your store is terrible...why on Earth would you want to shop here, and see how far it gets you, or how many come back.

Furthermore, Loria deemed contracts he negotiated too expensive a mere year later. Simple business acumen clearly eludes him. Someone like that has no business owning a professional sports team, much less in a market clinging to life support.

First off, the only one that has been a goon here is Mr. Loria, but not even. He shed money from HIS pockets to get us All-Star catcher Pudge Rodriguez in that magical 2003 season. He has been the only owner to keep this team competitive even though everyone knows that baseball is not just a game and about winning, it's a business aswell. Yes, he didn't up payroll this season to bring us the relievers we needed for this run, but when have any of you ever heard of small market teams (although we live in a big market) raising the payroll and trading the pieces (OUR FUTURE, as in screwing our tomorrow!!) we have for a short term run during a rebuilding year. Remember when we did it in 2003? We already had a FUTURE set (our farm system was expendable), the guys we had were young and in their prime, but we ended up losing guys like Adrian Gonzalez in the process. Some of you have failed to see that we are still in the rebuilding process, three years from now who knows which one of these young guys will still be in a Marlins uniform. We didn't need to go that high this season, we did GREAT. Take it slow, let's keep the pieces we have, and remain competitive, and just pray that we can strike a deal for a brand new stadium!

First off, the only one that has been a goon here is Mr. Loria, but not even. He shed money from HIS pockets to get us All-Star catcher Pudge Rodriguez in that magical 2003 season. He has been the only owner to keep this team competitive even though everyone knows that baseball is not just a game and about winning, it's a business aswell. Yes, he didn't up payroll this season to bring us the relievers we needed for this run, but when have any of you ever heard of small market teams (although we live in a big market) raising the payroll and trading the pieces (OUR FUTURE, as in screwing our tomorrow!!) we have for a short term run during a rebuilding year. Remember when we did it in 2003? We already had a FUTURE set (our farm system was expendable), the guys we had were young and in their prime, but we ended up losing guys like Adrian Gonzalez in the process. Some of you have failed to see that we are still in the rebuilding process, three years from now who knows which one of these young guys will still be in a Marlins uniform. We didn't need to go that high this season, we did GREAT. Take it slow, let's keep the pieces we have, and remain competitive, and just pray that we can strike a deal for a brand new stadium!

I'd really like to say something, but I'd just be wasting my time.

He's pocketing 3/4 of the revenue sharing check he's getting from MLB that is meant to be invested on this team.

I'm not going to give you a history lesson since I have neither the desire, nor the patience, but Adrian Gonzalez was very expendable at the time.

Fair enough about the contracts, but you have to admit that it is kind of ridiculous that the state still fights against helping with the stadium after two championships, and I'm sure some of the expectation for more to happen than did was a factor in that.

But I've never heard Loria saying the fans should be ashamed. And I would imagine I would see it quoted everywhere here if he did. I heard silly ol Matt Treanor-May say the fans should be ashamed, which I thought was laughable. But if Loria said it somewhere I'd agree with you on that. I have no problem blaming the venue though.

He's pocketing 3/4 of the revenue sharing check he's getting from MLB that is meant to be invested on this team.

Pocketing....I am pretty sure there are a whole lot of other expenses involved with running an MLB team besides the actual players' payroll. I'd still be suprised if he's even making a profit, considering attendance and all.

I'd really like to say something, but I'd just be wasting my time.

I'm not going to give you a history lesson since I have neither the desire, nor the patience, but Adrian Gonzalez was very expendable at the time.

Granted, we had both Derek Lee AND Jeff Conine with Stokes waiting in the minors while Adrian was hurt he was indeed EXPENDABLE, and we never planned to do the firesale, we all know. He's pocketing the revenue sharing, but as I said before, baseball is a business! He needs to make money from somewhere. The stadium is not selling out, and if it did O' Wayne gets a huge chunk of it. The Marlins don't make money off of parking, where does their money come from really? Does it come from the TV Deals? Uhh no. The guy has a life outside baseball. If you owned the team would you throw 3/4 of the revenue sharing for nothing? Something has to give! If We get the stadium expect this man to create a power house, I promise you. Think outside the bun for a second. I know what it's like, me and my family have had our own business for years now. You can't invest when the fans (customers) don't come. No INTELLIGENT businessman would do such a thing, it's idiotic (See: John Henry!) Winning brings people to the table, but something tells me we are already getting there without spending all that money. Jeffrey is pocketing the revenue as winnings, as more fans come he'll invest more on this club. As much as it hurts I would do the same, it might even be the factor to why we are even still called the FLORIDA Marlins. Our franchise is heading towards the RIGHT direction. Expect good things to come.

Fair enough about the contracts, but you have to admit that it is kind of ridiculous that the state still fights against helping with the stadium after two championships, and I'm sure some of the expectation for more to happen than did was a factor in that.

But I've never heard Loria saying the fans should be ashamed. And I would imagine I would see it quoted everywhere here if he did. I heard silly ol Matt Treanor-May say the fans should be ashamed, which I thought was laughable. But if Loria said it somewhere I'd agree with you on that. I have no problem blaming the venue though.

Pocketing....I am pretty sure there are a whole lot of other expenses involved with running an MLB team besides the actual players' payroll. I'd still be suprised if he's even making a profit, considering attendance and all.

Two Championships or zero! Florida politicians can care less about baseball! This town has one of the highest crime rates in the nation! They need to address this as a priority. Tellling them to invest on a 350-550 million dollar project is like telling them to fire 10,000 Police officers. If we even think that the state of Florida will put out that kinda of money, you my friends are living a DREAM! We already have what we were going to get, the rest of the project needs to be financed in a way that does not interfere with the states true concerns. An agreement will come, be patient.

There are a lot better reasons for my defense of Loria but here is a relatively simple one:

If you were a fan of the following teams how would you feel about its direction and ownership?

Orioles

Royals

Pirates

Devil Rays

Cubs

Rockies

Mariners

And to a slightly lesser extent:

Phillies

Red Sox

Diamondbacks

exactly...those are all clubs who spend a hell of a lot more money than we do that are going nowhere at 800 mph...and for all the loria bashers out there...what exactly do you have against winning? which he has done...oh yeah...and maybe...maybe if you all chip in some cash, you can put together 1/150th of what it will take to get a new stadium done...and who is paying for most of it...LORIA...thats right...JEFF LORIA...our marlins' owner...he is going to the savior of baseball in south florida

There are a lot better reasons for my defense of Loria but here is a relatively simple one:

If you were a fan of the following teams how would you feel about its direction and ownership?

Orioles

Royals

Pirates

Devil Rays

Cubs

Rockies

Mariners

And to a slightly lesser extent:

Phillies

Red Sox

Diamondbacks

With the exception of the two I scratched off, all have owners at least attempting to give their teams a chance to win, or are spending money (and in the case of the O's and Royals, they're spending money misguidedly).

They all have far better "owners" than Loria, they've just been stuck with crummier general managers.

Loria's been handed dynasties and screwed them up by crying poor, NONE of the owners would botch something like that. None.

Those teams spent their money improperly, most (like the Phillies) admitted to making a mistake and purged or tried to purge.

Loria had dominant talent and cried poor. HUGE difference to me. HUGE.