Report: Frank Robinson Done as Nats Manager

FutureGM

ESPN.com:

WASHINGTON -- Frank Robinson's run with the Nationals might be coming to an end.

The Nationals are preparing to tell the 71-year-old Robinson that he will not be asked back as manager next season, sources told the Washington Post on Wednesday. Robinson's one-year, $650,000 contract expires after this season.

Frank Robinson on the possibility of returning to the Nats: "If management wanted me to come back, I'd love to come back."

Team president Stan Kasten declined to comment, the newspaper reported, but partners in the club's ownership group met Wednesday with Kasten and general manager Jim Bowden.

A meeting between Robinson and team officials could happen as soon as Thursday. It wasn't clear whether the manager will be offered another position.

"We are not where we need to be," Kasten told the Post. "But we do have a plan, and I'm really excited about that plan."

Robinson, whose Nationals lost 8-7 to the Phillies in 14 innings on Wednesday night, said he's "not going to dignify any reports out there."

"You guys have been writing that for quite some time now," he said. "Nothing new."

With only a few days remaining in Washington's season, Robinson says he hasn't been approached by the front office about his status.

"If management wanted me to come back, I'd love to come back," Robinson said. "If they didn't want me to come back, I'd understand that."

The Nationals are 70-88 and last in the NL East.

Robinson, a Hall of Fame player in his 16th season as a major league manager, has said he would like a three-year contract to stay with the Nationals. But, he says, "It's not in my hands."

He's in his fifth season with the Expos-Nationals franchise. The team began 2005 -- its first year in Washington -- with a 50-31 record and was in first place in July, before finishing 81-81 and last in its division.

Asked about the report, catcher Brian Schneider said: "No reaction at all. Right now, Frank's still our manager. ... He's a great man and knows baseball very well."

It's official. Kasten made the statement. In his remarks he said they were not prepared to offer an assessment of a replacement as they believe that's a private matter.

Honest. However, it's something quite a few fans (certainly not me) would be outraged over. Imagine if Loria or Beinfest said that when they fired Girardi or McKeon or Torborg or a lame duck lottery winner. Some fans would demand to know who was on the short list and all their qualifications for the job. Whether the decision had been made or not, whether it hurt negotiations or not.

It's official. Kasten made the statement. In his remarks he said they were not prepared to offer an assessment of a replacement as they believe that's a private matter.

Honest. However, it's something quite a few fans (certainly not me) would be outraged over. Imagine if Loria or Beinfest said that when they fired Girardi or McKeon or Torborg or a lame duck lottery winner. Some fans would demand to know who was on the short list and all their qualifications for the job. Whether the decision had been made or not, whether it hurt negotiations or not.

Apparently the Nationals may want to to hire Girardi if/when he is fired. Personally, I'd rather see Girardi out of our division if he is fired. This was written in today's PBP:

Nationals high on Girardi: If Girardi is fired, his next stop could be Washington.

Members of the Nationals' front office think highly of Girardi and are likely to consider him if he is available. Manager Frank Robinson is not expected to return next year.

Lou Piniella, Tony Pena and Atlanta third-base coach Fredi Gonzalez also are expected to get consideration to be the Nationals' new manager.