Marlins in Broward?

Lane1974

Judging by what I've seen from downtown stadiums, I hate them. PETCO Park is located in the worst possible place. You cannot park at the stadium. You have to park at Qualcomm / Jack Murphy and park and ride the trolley 20 minutes to get to the game. The only other option is going into the downtown area and spending hours looks for an open Ace parking lot and spending 20 bucks to park for the game.

Going on this and the fact of how horrible a sports town San Diego is, I'm very surprised the Padres are still able to sell games out.

whats wrong with PETCO? you park your car at a trolley station and take the damn train to the game. The trolley is pretty convenient, so why would you want to drive when theres a trolley?

and if the idea is SO awful, then why do they sell out? :blink:

Oh please...the stadium is on the countyline... I think it's like 8 blocks from Broward. Kendall, South Miami, those areas further south may be in Miami-Dade but Palm Beachers can get to the Stadium quicker than they cna.

Exactly. DS is much more convenient to Broward residents than Dade, and Dade still is the largest draw of the 3 counties.

If you put the stadium in Pompano or some other piece of sh*t city in Broward, youll just have a stadium that isnt convenient to anybody

Yawn.

Is Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park convenient for anyone? Or Shea?

What does Miami want, it put right under their nose so they can fall out the door? Good teams in good markets draw fans, regardless of the "convenience."

For the life of me, I still can't understand why anyone thinks rain, heat or traffic exist only in Miami.

Yankee, Fenway, and Shea are all on transit lines. Not to mention that sports cities dont get much better than New York and Boston, so of course theyll show up...and people would do whatever it takes to make it to a game at Fenway and Yankee

also, you really cant underrate the weather factor in Miami. its one of the most (if not the most) uncomfortably hot cities in the US. Phoenix might be worse...but they have a dome and we dont.

fact is, Miami is a sh*tty sports town and people wont show up unless a) it becomes popular to do so (2003) or b) its convenient as hell to show up. putting the stadium in Broward would be an awful idea

Fine, then Dodger stadium.

Traffic is 100000000000000000000000000X worse, there's no public transportation of note, it's out of the city proper, day games are hotter, much hotter (heat issues are a common occurance) and there are a million things to do in LA, yet people still show up and the tickets still get sold.

Fact of the matter is, Miami always tells people why it won't support the team, but doesn't really do anything except whine about the way things should be, and what they're asking for is impossible, and they're expectations are so out of whack with other major cities it's obscene.

Don't forget Miami-Dade leads the 3 counties in attendance. I know this little fact blows your "Miami doesn't support the team" argument into little pieces but I still wanted to bring it up.

THE STADIUM IS IN MIAMI FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THEY BETTER SUPPORT THEM THE MOST.

To quote Chris Rock:

"I'm a good parent, I take care of my kids...WHAT DO YOU WANT...A COOKIE!?!?!"

These "great" fans supported them to dead last in attendance. Keep up the good work. :thumbup

BUT ITS NOT IN MIAMI BUDDY. f*** its barely in Miami-Dade county

the majority of people in Miami live around Coral Gables, South Miami, and Kendall...in other words, nowhere near the stadium. why is this so hard to grasp?

especially people who the Marlins are trying to sell tickets too... they're not looking to get a fanbase from fans in Opa-Locka, Carol City, Miami Gardens and those areas. The Dade fan base is generally, with a few exceptions, located way south of there.

Judging by what I've seen from downtown stadiums, I hate them. PETCO Park is located in the worst possible place. You cannot park at the stadium. You have to park at Qualcomm / Jack Murphy and park and ride the trolley 20 minutes to get to the game. The only other option is going into the downtown area and spending hours looks for an open Ace parking lot and spending 20 bucks to park for the game.

Going on this and the fact of how horrible a sports town San Diego is, I'm very surprised the Padres are still able to sell games out.

whats wrong with PETCO? you park your car at a trolley station and take the damn train to the game. The trolley is pretty convenient, so why would you want to drive when theres a trolley?

Oh please...the stadium is on the countyline... I think it's like 8 blocks from Broward. Kendall, South Miami, those areas further south may be in Miami-Dade but Palm Beachers can get to the Stadium quicker than they cna.

Exactly. DS is much more convenient to Broward residents than Dade, and Dade still is the largest draw of the 3 counties.

If you put the stadium in Pompano or some other piece of sh*t city in Broward, youll just have a stadium that isnt convenient to anybody

Yawn.

What does Miami want, it put right under their nose so they can fall out the door? Good teams in good markets draw fans, regardless of the "convenience."

For the life of me, I still can't understand why anyone thinks rain, heat or traffic exist only in Miami.

Yankee, Fenway, and Shea are all on transit lines. Not to mention that sports cities dont get much better than New York and Boston, so of course theyll show up...and people would do whatever it takes to make it to a game at Fenway and Yankee

also, you really cant underrate the weather factor in Miami. its one of the most (if not the most) uncomfortably hot cities in the US. Phoenix might be worse...but they have a dome and we dont.

fact is, Miami is a sh*tty sports town and people wont show up unless a) it becomes popular to do so (2003) or b) its convenient as hell to show up. putting the stadium in Broward would be an awful idea

Traffic is 100000000000000000000000000X worse, there's no public transportation of note, it's out of the city proper, day games are hotter, much hotter (heat issues are a common occurance) and there are a million things to do in LA, yet people still show up and the tickets still get sold.

Fact of the matter is, Miami always tells people why it won't support the team, but doesn't really do anything except whine about the way things should be, and what they're asking for is impossible, and they're expectations are so out of whack with other major cities it's obscene.

Don't forget Miami-Dade leads the 3 counties in attendance. I know this little fact blows your "Miami doesn't support the team" argument into little pieces but I still wanted to bring it up.

To quote Chris Rock:

These "great" fans supported them to dead last in attendance. Keep up the good work. :thumbup

the majority of people in Miami live around Coral Gables, South Miami, and Kendall...in other words, nowhere near the stadium. why is this so hard to grasp?

And Yankee and Shea stadium are not in Manhattan, and Dodger stadium is barely in LA.

WHAT THE f*** DO YOU MIAMI FANS WANT, A PERSONAL HELICOPTER TO THE GAME, A FOOT MASSAGE BY FREDI GONZALEZ AND LORIA TELLING YOU WE REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS FOR YOU TO BE HERE?!?!??

SUCK IT UP!

I drive an hour or more 50 times a year to see the Marlins at home, and then take a subway for 30 to 40 minutes to see them 5 or 6 other times a year. Fans deal with it.

A new arena in the heart of Miami couldn't get fans out for the Heat, it took Shaq...why is it going to be any different for the Marlins?

Yawn.

To quote Chris Rock:

And Yankee and Shea stadium are not in Manhattan, and Dodger stadium is barely in LA.

WHAT THE f*** DO YOU MIAMI FANS WANT, A PERSONAL HELICOPTER TO THE GAME, A FOOT MASSAGE BY FREDI GONZALEZ AND LORIA TELLING YOU WE REALIZE HOW HARD IT IS FOR YOU TO BE HERE?!?!??

SUCK IT UP!

I drive an hour or more 50 times a year to see the Marlins at home, and then take a subway for 30 to 40 minutes to see them 5 or 6 other times a year. Fans deal with it.

A new arena in the heart of Miami couldn't get fans out for the Heat, it took Shaq...why is it going to be any different for the Marlins?

I know facts tend to get in the way of your arguments against Miami-Dade fans but according to Ira Winderman (who is the the best sports writer in town) 70% of the Heat fans come from Miami-Dade.

SUCK IT UP!

f*** man...ive said it all already

since when are Broward or PBC fans any good? you keep calling out Miami, but you fail to give us any reasons why people will show up if the stadium is put in the urban sprawl known as Broward County

you support the Marlins. so do i. i understand. do i wish the rest of the people in Miami were more like you and me? of course. but thats just not the way it is. In South Florida, the best option is Miami, not Broward

SUCK IT UP!

I know facts tend to get in the way of your arguments against Miami-Dade fans but according to Ira Winderman (who is the the best sports writer in town) 70% of the Heat fans come from Miami-Dade.

When did I say they didn't?

All I said was that they didn't show up until Shaq did. 2 years ago, you couldn't give away playoff tickets, now you can't get a ticket.

Does Miami supporting 70% of the team now change the fact that the AAA was damn near empty all the time until Shaq came to town?

I know logic comes in the way of your argument, but...

Yawn.

To quote Chris Rock:

SUCK IT UP!

can I get it changed to foot massage by the mermaids :) Skip the helecopter I dont mind driving an Hour and a Half to games right now.

If those in miami cant do it for 30/45 minutes right now it wont change unless they are in the playoffs. I am used to seeing that. Someday it might be different, someday.

as for the stadium, build it in key west, in jupiter, wherever. I will try to go to as many games as possible as always :) But, I am one of those few palm beach county fans, whom are the farthest away and have the longest drive currently.

SUCK IT UP!

When did I say they didn't?

All I said was that they didn't show up until Shaq did. 2 years ago, you couldn't give away playoff tickets, now you can't get a ticket.

Does Miami supporting 70% of the team now change the fact that the AAA was damn near empty all the time until Shaq came to town?

I know logic comes in the way of your argument, but...

to be fair, they did suck royally before Wade showed up (02-03), and fans wont show up to support an NBA team that bad anywhere.

and the fans did come out towards the end of the 03-04 season, after they turned things around and made the playoffs. i think youre overstating how "you couldnt give away a playoff ticket", i dont remember things being that way

Why has this thread turned into yet another argument about where the best site would be? This has been discussed before. It was an irrelevant argument then, and now.

It's not like Loria has his choice from the 3 locations. He'll take the first one where a deal can be done without it costing him more than a new pair of shoe-lifts for mini-me.

Wherever the stadium is we'll all have to deal with it.

This thread is about the possibility of a deal in Pompano. It's not about whether Pompano would be the perfect spot.

MLB, the Marlins and everyone else have done the studies and whether the Broward and Palm Beach fans like it or not a stadium in the ECONOMIC and CORPORATE center of the South Florida metropolitan area is the best option for this team. NOT the geographic center. They came to these conclusions via educated and scientific methods and studies by people who get paid a lot of money to crunch these numbers..

The Heat did not draw before Shaq because they SUCKED. No one goes to watch a BAD team, PERIOD.

Whether some like it or not, getting to Dolphin Stadium from Southern Miami-Dade is a totally different adventure than it is going from North Broward to Northern Miami-Dade. Anyone who is part of the working class and actually makes the hellish trip everyday will tell you this. So please, don't throw the Miami-Dade fans under the bus, because truthfully the Broward fans have it easiest. When you look at the whole Northern and NE Miami-Dade area you see that this area is ALL GHETTO, these people cannot afford going to games.

The Marlins when they could actually sell tickets to corporate entities and didn't have such a sh*tty image with the community actually drew big crowds. So Miami's viability as a market really should not be in issue. If MLB had any concern about this they would have campaigned in WPB and Broward County more than they have to date.

Please, it does not make sense to compare the fanbase of a New York or Boston team to South Fla. They have had a team for a 100 years, at any given point time in a stadium there are several generations of fans (and many corporations who buy season tickets because these teams are family traditions, yada yada yada). Can we really say that with a team that has been around since 1993?

I'm not going to go into the issues with the stadium because we all know them well.

Second, MLB will not let a RACINO or ANY establishment that involves gambling contribute money towards a stadium. The sport is very sensitive about the gambling issue. We as "educated" baseball fans should realizea and know this.

END OF MESSAGE

Second, MLB will not let a RACINO or ANY establishment that involves gambling contribute money towards a stadium. The sport is very sensitive about the gambling issue. We as "educated" baseball fans should realizea and know this.

END OF MESSAGE

"Educated" baseball fans in the past also thought that MLB would never allow "negros" to play. And they also never thought that MLB would allow for a designated hitter or a wild card. Times change.

END OF MESSAGE

"Educated" baseball fans in the past also thought that MLB would never allow "negros" to play. And they also never thought that MLB would allow for a designated hitter or a wild card. Times change.

:lol :thumbup

END OF MESSAGE

Talk about apples and oranges. :rolleyes:

The founders of the leagues spent nearly 50 years ridding the sport of gambling interests between 1870 and 1920, they will not "allow them back into the game" over a stadium site that doesn't make much sense in a single market. Come on really.

END OF MESSAGE

The founders of the leagues and their predecessors spent nearly 50 years ridding the sport of gambling interests between 1870 and 1920, they will not "allow them back into the game" over a stadium site that doesn't make much sense in a single market. Come on really.

You're comparing gambling in this country's society from 1870 to 1920 compared to gambling in 2006. And you accuse me of comparing apples and oranges?

Personally, would any of you out there have a problem if this gambling company paid for a new stadium for our Marlins? Do any of you have a problem with this gambling company paying for a new arena for a professional hockey team? If so, why?

What we have to consider:

- Pro basketball is an urban sport. It is vital for them in the long run to have venues located where there is greater density. The Cavaliers used to play at Richfield Coliseum, a Cleveland suburb and then moved back into Cleveland because it they needed to be closer to their fans. The Washington Bullets/Wizards once played in Landover, Md. and then relocated into the District because it was too inconvenient for their fans to go to Landover. The New Jersey Nets first began as a NJ franchise, then went to Long Island for a while, then going back to NJ at the Meadowlands, and now is trying to relocate to either Brooklyn (1st choice), Queens or (likely last resort) Newark. The Los Angeles Lakers used to play at Inglewood but now play in downtown L.A..

So it makes complete sense for the Heat to stay in Miami.

- Pro Hockey is a bit different. Ideally, an urban location is nice but not necessary. Let's face it. People who go to hockey games aren't urban people. Put a hockey arena in the cornfields in Minnesota and people will show up. So the Panthers moving out of Miami is not so mindnumbing as some people think. The Panthers actually moved closer to their fan base by going to Broward. Now the location of the hockey arena is another matter. They would've better off in Fort Lauderdale or Pompano, locations more accessible to a wider scope of Broward residents. That's where Huizenga failed to do his homework.

- Pro football does not care as long as people show up 8 games a year. So let's leave that one aside.

So we get to pro baseball and this becomes a bit murky. I think people here fail to realize that the Tri-Counties is a lot unlike all the other places in the country. Nowhere else is a geographical area so elongated over 100-200 miles and competed between the ocean and a swampland. In the older cities, there is a nerve center, a spot of critical mass, surrounded by bedroom communities popping up dependent on the economic output of the core area. This was before the phenomenom called Edge Cities. Arlington County, Va. is a huge example of an edge city, in that while conveniently located next to Washington is not overly dependent on the federal government or the District's economy. Edge Cities can, theoretically, support a pro franchise depending on several factors. Arlington County almost got the Nationals/Expos before local politics put a stop to that. However, there is another Arlington that does have a team: Arlington, Texas, home of the Rangers. Now I don't know the latest attendence figures but considering that they've never gone to a World Series they've done decently, some years better than others. Arlington is also a classical Edge City, near Dallas but not dependent on Dallas that much. It is it's own city.

Now we get to Broward County. How dependent is Broward on the economic activity in Dade? I know that many Broward people live in Broward and work in Dade. But that's not nearly the majority. You have Fort Lauderdale, which many would agree is the main hub in Broward. Would you agree that Fort Lauderdale can, more or less, remain functional if, all of a sudden, Miami stopped functioning? Now, I'm not saying that they're completely independent of what happens in Dade or viceversa. But Broward have proven to have its own self-sustaining economy regardless of what happens elsewhere. To suggest that Broward is a suburb of Miami makes as much sense as saying that Dade is a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, which is saying it makes NO SENSE. Broward and Dade are two different entities sharing the same geographical region called South Florida.

What's actually holding Broward back a bit is the political leadership and the attitude of the voting public. There is still this mindset that the county should remain this boring, unassuming, tourist-dependent locale when the discretional income is there to allow the county to become more attractive to high tech firms, international banking institutions, high finance, etc. Currently, that activity is more concetrated in Dade but Broward could easily take that activity away from them except for the retrograded conservativeness of many Broward people. Still, however, Broward (+ PBC) can definitely support a pro baseball franchise given better location and ownership. The question is where in Broward is best. I still maintain that Fort Lauderdale would've been the ideal location but that's no longer possible. Pompano might work but it would take a mature look at things and cooperation at all levels of government.

Forget about Boca or any other PBC location. You might as well go to Port Saint Lucie.

END OF MESSAGE

The founders of the leagues and their predecessors spent nearly 50 years ridding the sport of gambling interests between 1870 and 1920, they will not "allow them back into the game" over a stadium site that doesn't make much sense in a single market. Come on really.

You're comparing gambling in this country's society from 1870 to 1920 compared to gambling in 2006. And you accuse me of comparing apples and oranges?

Personally, would any of you out there have a problem if this gambling company paid for a new stadium for our Marlins? Do any of you have a problem with this gambling company paying for a new arena for a professional hockey team? If so, why?

Okay Mr. Selig.........as soon as you accept that gambling money for a new ballpark, what are you going to tell Pete Rose the reason is for his continued banishment from the sport?

You guys can FORGET about gambling money paying for a ballpark. The politicos that made this announcement arent stupid, but they know it isnt going to happen. The reason for the announcement, I would guess, is because they are looking to further some type of political agenda.

And I watch with amusement the way you guys argue about how far of a drive it is for you to x,y, z locations. Us Texans are used to driving long distances. I make the 1 hour and 15 minute drive every week during football season to see the Longhorns play. Hell......I drive 30 minutes to work each day. The types of distances you guys are talking about would be nothing for most Texans. Amusing I tell you.

END OF MESSAGE

Okay Mr. Selig.........as soon as you accept that gambling money for a new ballpark, what are you going to tell Pete Rose the reason is for his continued banishment from the sport?

You guys can FORGET about gambling money paying for a ballpark. The politicos that made this announcement arent stupid, but they know it isnt going to happen. The reason for the announcement, I would guess, is because they are looking to further some type of political agenda.

And I watch with amusement the way you guys argue about how far of a drive it is for you to x,y, z locations. Us Texans are used to driving long distances. I make the 1 hour and 15 minute drive every week during football season to see the Longhorns play. Hell......I drive 30 minutes to work each day. The types of distances you guys are talking about would be nothing for most Texans. Amusing I tell you.

Hell I unfortunately live in Texas for the moment. And these long drives is nothing to be robust about, this is just one of the reasons why Texas sucks. Whats wrong with wanting the stadium near you?

END OF MESSAGE

We have reason to complain.

Couldn't find a more recent report but the Miami-Hialeah area is the 10th most congested area in the United States, with Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood-Pompano following close behind.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855647.html

for the Marlins?[/b]

The arena is where only Miami-Dade rsidents can get to it. Why wouldn't they have the most fans there? And where were they in the pre Shaq days? Caught in traffic?? If that arena was built in central Broward or further north would 70% of the fans be from Dade???

I really don't think anyone is talking distance. When people say too far they mean time wise. It takes us over an hour now. I rarely look at the odometer, I always look at the clock. 30 minutes to get from downtown to Joe Robbie?? Where is every body then? This is the fan base everybody is bragging and counting on???

Traffic flow is irrelevant. Flow going out from downtown now?? But how can anyone disagree that there won't be traffic flow going into downtown if a stadium is built there? People will all of a sudden want to take the extra time to take mass transportation?? Something that never has gone over real well in South Florida. But because a few want the stadium built in their back yard all of a sudden mass transportation is going to be a big hit? I really doubt that. I can forsee a traffic nightmare going in and out of downtown. Probably why that deal has gone sour. That and the parking.

yeah, because the current fan base is supporting the team so well. move closer to Dade fans, and theyll show up more. its that easy

i guess youve never been to a Heat game...because if you went, youd realize that there isnt much parking for them, and a good amount of people take Metrorail to the game, and it isnt an insane parking nightmare like you say it is

Yea. Those Heat games were really packed before Shaq and a championship year.

None of this is going to matter. The Miami-Dade fans will complain if it is Hialeah or Pompano because then it will take an hour to get there. The rest of the people will complain if it is downtown Miami because then it basically is going to be a team just for Miami fans. If it gets put in downtown Miami and there are not 20-30K people in the seats after the first couple years then the Miami-Dade fans will have other excuses of why they don't go. Bad team seems to be the excuse for the Heat in the pre Shaq days. Such good fans.

Traffic flow is an excuse. Nothing more. Say we don't understand it is nonsense. The truth is we don't care about it. Ask somebody that lives north of downtown WPB about traffic flow and gridlock either on 95 or the turnpike. Ask someone in PBG how long it takes them just to get on the turnpike and then south of Lake Worth about gridlocked traffic.

Right now the stadium is pretty central. We in PBC drive over an hour there and over an hour home and don't complain about it. Miami fans drive 30-45 minutes TO the stadium and less on the way home and complain about the traffic flow. Can't figure out that how that traffic flow thing affects the week end "crowds" but I'm sure they will soon be letting us in on this one as well. Broward fans have been pretty quiet. So you people that live south of the stadium right now have an hour or so round trip and complain. Wow. My heart breaks for you and your traffic flow problems. While we drive 2 1/2-3 hours round trip every game. Every day, every game. The time it takes most Miami-Dade county fans to get to the stadium in their traffic flow is the same amount of time it takes me to just get out of PBC. And we live south of the worst of the rush hour traffic.

Just get the job done. We will deal with it when it happens one way or the other. And those that will refuse to deal with it?? Well...

END OF MESSAGE

Hell I unfortunately live in Texas for the moment. And these long drives is nothing to be robust about, this is just one of the reasons why Texas sucks. Whats wrong with wanting the stadium near you?

IH 10 runs both ways my friend! Native Texan here and I can tell you.....give me wide open spaces and long drives any day of the week! But remembering my times living in Florida, I do now remember how badly your highway infrastructure sucks.......so maybe that explains all the whining about the location. You guys easily have the worst roads outside of maybe.......Louisiana. All that being said though....not dawging your great state.......I have always said that if I couldnt live in Texas, Florida would easily be my second choice.

IH 10 runs both ways my friend! Native Texan here and I can tell you.....give me wide open spaces and long drives any day of the week! But remembering my times living in Florida, I do now remember how badly your highway infrastructure sucks.......so maybe that explains all the whining about the location. You guys easily have the worst roads outside of maybe.......Louisiana. All that being said though....not dawging your great state.......I have always said that if I couldnt live in Texas, Florida would easily be my second choice.

PBC residents, fill me in on this one: just what the hell has been going on that requires rush-hour construction on 95 in a 20-mile zone for THREE YEARS?! My family moved out of FL in 2004...in the summer of 2003 I went to the Rapids and got caught in this major construction area. Then this past March, I'm driving from NC to Miami and get caught in the SAME construction. :thumbdown

PBC residents, fill me in on this one: just what the hell has been going on that requires rush-hour construction on 95 in a 20-mile zone for THREE YEARS?! My family moved out of FL in 2004...in the summer of 2003 I went to the Rapids and got caught in this major construction area. Then this past March, I'm driving from NC to Miami and get caught in the SAME construction. :thumbdown

Traffic flow?

I've read all the things pro and con. Know what I see? One guy named Polo that keeps underhandedly calling all those that don't don't agree with his "traffic flow" theory as being stupid.

So I'm calling you out on this one one Polo. Where is the traffic flow problem when the Marlins are near or going into the play offs?? Where is the traffic flow problem on week end games?? What is it that YOU don't understand about the difference between a bad excuse and a legitimate excuse??

Polo you are an excuse maker. Explain to these readers your idea on how what time the sun sets in Miami affects the attendance figures at Marlins games. I have that one saved. If you don't, I will.

People like this poster make me want to rethink my opinion on where the new pond should be. It makes me think they should go where the $$$ is and where the growth is. And if the Marlins go with the Pompano site then you people from Miami-Dade County only have people like Polo to thank for it. Excuse makers.

In Polo's terms Case Closed.

Much closer to the fan base - and the customers with $$$

EXACTLY.

You guys are entitled to your opinion but not to your own set of facts.

Pompano would be much more convenient to the Palm Beach fans but Palm Beach fans make-up a minimal percentage of the fan base.

Pompano would be a little bit more convenient to Broward fans. Broward is close behind Miami-Dade in attendance.

Pompano would be a lot less convenient to Miami-Dade. Miami-Dade leads all counties in attendance.

Why does Miami-Dade residents have the biggest draw of fans?? Because the current stadium is in Miami-Dade.

If Pompano is a piece of sh*t city to you..... whats opa-locka? :confused

then what is your solution? move to Broward? yeah, that'll work, because people really care about driving to baseball games there. no matter how much anybody thinks Miami sucks, our neighbors to the north suck worse. yeah, lets move to Pompano instead of Downtown Miami. thats a brilliant move

I think its more brilliant than San Antonio, Charlotte, Portland, and Vegas. :whistle