I can guarantee your day today wasn't as bad as mine

Accord

I had to get up at 3:30 AM this morning and be at my recruiters office at 4:30 AM so we could drive down to MEPS in Hialeah where I would be tortured for the next 14 hours by military doctors trying to make sure that I am fit for military service. If you think you had a bad day, it wasn't as bad as mine was today, trust me :banghead . You haven't lived until you see 12 fully naked male recruits between the ages of 17 and 22 all lined up and being given hemroid checks by a pissed off 450 pound sasquatch named "Linda" who has hands larger than Shaq..................... and then it's your turn.

Yes, it sucked.

I go back on Monday to take the oath. I would have done it today but my high school f***ed up my transcripts so my recruiter has to get a different copy.

I stood in line for a little under an hour to pre-order a Nintendo Wii today to have the person 2 spots ahead of me in line get the last preorder. After hearing your story, mine doesn't sound that bad. Thanks Accord for making me feel better about my day.

How exactly does one run out preorders?

hopefully you are cleared to go. If all goes well, when would you depart to boot camp?

For Infantry which is what i'm going, there is a waiting list to ship that goes up until January, so January at the soonest but most likely sometime in mid-February, I should know for sure on Monday as long as my transcripts go through okay which i'm hoping for and my recruiter said most likely won't be a problem. I could ship next week if I picked another job, but so many people want to go infantry that there is a waiting list. After we got back to my recruiters office after MEPS the dumbass Navy recruiter next door asked me what my score on the ASVAB was because he saw us leave that morning and I told him I got a 117GT which is pretty high and basically gives me the opportunity to pick any job field that I want, and he asks me what MOS I picked and I proudly told him Infantry and he was baffled and says in a sarcastic voice "Infantry?????? Infantry??? With a 117 GT score why would you ever go infantry?" and my Marine recruiter who is a huge 6'10" tall black man with a size 14 boot and the most badass "Sergeant of Marines voice" you will ever hear yelled out "Hey squid, not everybody joins for college money!" and the other poolee's (who are also going infantry) and I just laughed.

I was disappointed though at the end of the day when all the other poolees got to swear in and take the oath and I was the only one who didn't get to do it because of some BS clerical error from my school. Oh well, Monday is only 2 days away.

I've always thought it was funny that you have to be a perfect specimen to get into the military. Accord, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard you have to have near perfect vision, no missing limbs(toes and fingers included), no flat feet, not overweight more than X amount of pounds for your height and now hemmoroids if you are serious???!!!! Guess I'm out :lol

wouldn't you think the military WANTS people. I heard recruitment quotas are way down.

I've always thought it was funny that you have to be a perfect specimen to get into the military. Accord, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard you have to have near perfect vision, no missing limbs(toes and fingers included), no flat feet, not overweight more than X amount of pounds for your height and now hemmoroids if you are serious???!!!! Guess I'm out :lol

wouldn't you think the military WANTS people. I heard recruitment quotas are way down.

Seriously man. I think I have signed my name more times in the past 3 days than I have my entire life, it really brings a whole new meaning to the word signing your life away.

It's almost impossible to join the military, don't believe the crap you hear on the news about low standards even for the Army. There is a room at MEPS where all the rejects go from all the branches and that room was FULL. Even something as small as a bad ankle sprain when you were 6 years old can make joining the military incredibly difficult. I consider myself to be very athletic, I can run a mile in 5:27 which is almost fast enough to get a track scholarship at a DIII college and i'm in good shape, nothing is wrong with me, and it's still damn near impossible to join. The smallest and I mean the SMALLEST thing is scrutinized and will hold you up for weeks, you have to go back and forth to like 3 civilian doctors at your own expense and have them write letters to the MEPS doctors and the chain of command and all sorts of BS. You REALLY have to want to join to actually get in, it's easy to say I want to join the military but once you experience the massive government machine and the ridiculous stuff you have to go through and the literally more than 72 straight hours of paperwork to the point where you can't even sign your own name anymore you'll start second guessing but I know that just over the horizon is the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor waiting for me, I think by the time I actually reach Parris Island i'll be GLAD to see my drill instructors and be glad that the beuracratic BS is all finished. Also the fact that most of the people who work at MEPS are civilians who don't even care makes the process all the more difficult and tedious, it used to be staffed by all military and things from what I heard used to be a lot smoother when it was that way. My job requires a Top Secret security clearance, so I had to fill out more paperwork than most people, I had to spend hours tracking down the addresses of old friends I haven't even talked to in 5 years. The whole process sucks. I think i'd rather have another hemroid check than fill out more damn paperwork.

Hemoroids are just one of the things they test for, its 14 hours of test after test after test non-stop. You have to strip down into your boxers and walk around on your heels squatting down like a friggen duck to show that you're coordinated. Tons of stuff like that. The doctor even takes a stethoscope and puts it up to all of your joints (knees, ankles, shoudler, elbows, fingers, etc. etc. etc.) and listens to make sure your joints and sh*t are fine and won't blow out when you're humping a 120 pound rucksack for 15 miles.

Don't believe the drivel you hear on the news about people being forced into military service by recruiters or any of that stuff. You literally sign your name a thousand times and spend countless weeks with tons and tons of paperwork and medical sh*t and all other sorts of sh*t. You either want to join or you don't, the whole no recruiters on college campuses is stupid, if someone doesn't really want to join it doesn't matter who the recruiter is, you're not going to go through all this stuff if you really didn't want to. No one is forced into joining by recruiters, after the initial contact with your recruiter, most of the real process of joining happens at MEPS. This has been a huge eye opening experience and i'm not even a Marine yet, I can only imagine what the next 4 (or mabye even 20) years are going to be like. I even spent 15 minutes filling out paperwork that is to confirm that i'm not a homo, another hour was spent on paperwork specifically dedicated to religious beliefs, whether those beliefs will prevent you from going to war, conscientious objector stuff, blah blah blah.

I really do appreciate the process though, i'd have to say they probably spent $15,000 of our tax dollars on ME in the past 2-3 days. I felt like I single handedly wiped out the entire rainforest with all the paperwork I signed, haha. The government must buy their paper at Sams Club or Costco.

I'm sure i'll have more stories once I get back on Monday when I will hopefully swear in.

I stood in line for a little under an hour to pre-order a Nintendo Wii today to have the person 2 spots ahead of me in line get the last preorder. After hearing your story, mine doesn't sound that bad. Thanks Accord for making me feel better about my day.

How exactly does one run out preorders?

They have limited numbers. As in they only have so many alotted.

I consider myself to be very athletic, I can run a mile in 5:27 which is almost fast enough to get a track scholarship at a DIII college

DIII's do not give athletic scholarships :whistle

Well you know what I mean, almost fast enough to be able to run track at a DIII school.

Well... for what it's worth... thats why I'm going to do College ROTC... it gives you a longer time to take care of all that paperwork... and on top of that, you get to go in as an officer... and that's my backup plan... I'm actually Military Academy bound... but good luck to you Accord... my buddy got back from boot camp a week after school started... he is pretty different, needless to say

You haven't lived until you see 12 fully naked male recruits between the ages of 17 and 22 all lined up and being given hemroid checks by a pissed off 450 pound sasquatch named "Linda" who has hands larger than Shaq..................... and then it's your turn.

I don't know which is worse, watching Florida collapse in the second half.....or that. :|

Well... for what it's worth... thats why I'm going to do College ROTC... it gives you a longer time to take care of all that paperwork... and on top of that, you get to go in as an officer... and that's my backup plan... I'm actually Military Academy bound... but good luck to you Accord... my buddy got back from boot camp a week after school started... he is pretty different, needless to say

It's incredibly difficult to get an NROTC Marine Corps scholarship. For the other branches, anyone who can breathe and get accepted into college can get an ROTC scholarship but for the Marine Corps, academically you need to be Ivy League quality while also being able to score at least a 285 on the PFT which is next to impossible unless you're a natural athlete and have trained for years. Countless thousands apply each year for only a few hundred slots across the entire country, so the Marine Corps has the luxury of being able to accept only the best. Unless you got at least a 1400 on the SAT and can run 3 consecutive 6 minute miles and do 20 no-kip pullups don't even bother applying. Also, OCS has a ridiculously high attrition rate, OCS for the other branches is designed to teach you the ropes and show you how to be a good officer, for the Marine Corps it's specifically designed to weed you out, getting the NROTC scholarship is the easy part.

Physically I could make it but academically there's just no way, with an 1120 on the SAT i'd have no chance of being accepted, and plus, I don't want to waste four years in college and miss out on Iraq. I've waited my whole life to be a Marine, no way I would ever want to wait another 4 years. There are also lot's of opportunities within the Marine Corps that officers don't get, such as MSG Duty at foreign embassies around the world, serving as secondary security for the president, and tons of other cool sh*t. If down the road I ever decide I want to become an officer, there are several programs which allow enlisted Marines who exhibit exceptional leadership potential to become officers and earn a commission, and Mustang officers are the most respected in the military followed by academy grads and lastly ROTC.

They already accepted me for the Marine NROTC scholarship... I declined and am doing my family tradition of Navy... the Marine recruiters were trying their hardest to get me signed up for their scholarship... but traditions are more important to me...

To each his own, I guess.

Marine Corps recruiters don't handle NROTC Marine Option scholarships, they're handled by MOI's and OSO's. The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy therefore you wouldn't be breaking tradition, they even give the top Naval Academy grads the option to choose the Marine Corps, they have something like ~120 slots per year. If it's tradition that you want, you won't find a better place than the Corps. There's nothing in the world like earning the title of United States Marine, and to become an Officer of Marines is just that much more special.

My great grandfather served in the Army in WW1, my grandfather served in the Navy in WW2, and i'm going to serve in the Marine Corps. Mabye my kid when I have one will join the Air Force and my grandson will join the Coast Guard, then we'd be complete :lol .

So I just got home from MEPS again, it's now 5pm and I woke up at 3 am. This sh*t sucks ass.

Oh, and great news:

I have to be at my recruiters office again tomorrow at 4:30 AM because I have to go back to MEPS and re-do the piss test because apparently there were slightly high levels of protein in my piss and the MEPS doctor was being a real a**hole about it wanting me to get him medical records from when I was like 2 years old, what a load of crap. So I didn't get to swear in and take the oath today, such horseshit.

So tonight i'm basically not eating ANYTHING with protein in it and i'm drinking a ton of water to flush out all the protein so my levels are normal tomorrow. What bulls***.

Oh well, it will all be worth it when I walk across that parade deck and earn the title of United States Marine.

Once I swear in and whatnot, my ship date will be January 8th. I kinda wish I went to more Marlins games this season, because I won't get to go to another one for a long long time now.

good luck accord.

my day wasn't great either, I failed my biology test, which means I have an F in the class and will have to take summer school. My parents grounded me for the rest of the semester. My trip to Orlando was cancelled. I have a ton of homework. I hate school.

MEPS isnt that bad. Hell, I just napped all day. Well, when I wasnt standing in front of a giant bay window in my underbritches giving St. Louis traffic a hell of a show.

Ate lunch, they screwed up my assignment(I was supposed to go airborne and to Alaska or Italy but ended up at Ft. Campbell, but hey...it introduced me to Nashville).

whats the latest?

Went back for the piss test this morning (been up since 3am :thumbdown ) and it came back with normal protein levels, so that's good to go. The stupid thing is they drew even more blood for no reason at all and I have to wait until Friday for the results to come in... so I STILL can't swear in yet.

This is f***ing stupid, MEPS is just playing games now, it's ridiculous.