November 21, 200619 yr NEW YORK … (AP) … Minnesota's Justin Morneau edged the New York Yankees' Derek Jeter to win the American League's Most Valuable Player Award on Tuesday. Morneau received 15 first-place votes, eight seconds, three thirds and two fourths for 320 points in voting by a panel of the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Jeter got 12 firsts, 14 seconds, one fourth and one sixth for 306 points. Boston's David Ortiz was third with 193 points, followed by Oakland's Frank Thomas (174), Chicago's Jermaine Dye (156), Minnesota's Joe Mauer (116) and Twins pitcher Johan Santana (114), who received the other first-place vote. Morneau hit .321 with 34 homers and 130 RBIs, helping the Twins win the AL Central for the fourth time in five years. Jeter batted .344 with 14 homers and 97 RBIs, finishing three points behind Mauer, who became the first catcher to win an AL batting title.
November 21, 200619 yr this is a laugher. 2 guys on his own team were more valuable and David Ortiz. and Jermaine Dye. Probably Jeter. Maybe Thome. How did Hanley win the ROY when these guys have absolutely blown both MVPs?
November 21, 200619 yr Well he didn't deserve it, but he deserved it a lot more than Jeter, so Jeter losing is a plus. Frank and Johan were the 2 more valuable by far IMO (other than Dye, but his team didn't make the playoffs) but the DH and Pitcher bias strikes again.
November 21, 200619 yr Im fine with Howard, but I expected better from you for the AL choice penguino.
November 21, 200619 yr Whoever voted Derek Jeter sixth needs to have their voting rights stripped, by the way.
November 21, 200619 yr This was a terrible choice. Joe Mauer and arguably Johan Santana had better seasons. David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were better. Derek Jeter also was superior. Jermaine Dye also was better. All of the hitters I mentioned besides Ortiz had a better OPS w/ RISP.
November 21, 200619 yr Whoever voted Derek Jeter sixth needs to have their voting rights stripped, by the way. I agree. He shouldn't be on the top 10 but that's hype for you.
November 21, 200619 yr Good. Anyone but Jeter. :thumbup Jeter would've been a better choice than Morneau
November 21, 200619 yr I really dont have a problem with Morneau winning When two guys on your own team deserved it more there's problems with the pick. Still, the BBWAA has had its best picking season in recent memory.
November 21, 200619 yr I really dont have a problem with Morneau winning When two guys on your own team deserved it more there's problems with the pick. Still, the BBWAA has had its best picking season in recent memory. Pitchers dont win MVPs anymore, so I wont even count that part. As for Mauer, what makes Mauer that much better? Morneau put the team on his back from mid June on, which is exactly the time the Twins went on their awesome run too
November 21, 200619 yr It's one of the weakest selections in a long time. Mauer played a much higher leverage position with excellent defense (to Morneau's average) and hit way above average for his position. I'm talking about an entire season's worth of production as opposed to a sampling of a few months. However, I do think there's something to be said about having great production at key times...I still would've picked Mauer over Morneau if it's just the Twins we're talking about.
November 22, 200619 yr I suppose it comes down to how you view the awards purpose. For me, it's the best statistical season adjusted for position and plate appearances.
November 22, 200619 yr im just glad jeter or ortiz didnt win...the DH is the worst idea in baseball other than the current commissioner
November 22, 200619 yr I suppose it comes down to how you view the awards purpose. For me, it's the best statistical season adjusted for position and plate appearances. Perhaps. I just feel that the word "valuable" transcends statistics (and I'm NOT talking about clubhouse character). Well, you just use statistics to derive value for a player in his particular team situation...is that right?
November 22, 200619 yr brian kenny's hard-news, supposedly factual assertion that derek jeter bested justin morneau in almost every single "sophisticated" statistical category is laughable.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.