Jose Guillen

Iowa

If it was any other year post 2000, I would think Guillen would come fairly cheap, but as of right now I would assume his price range is well out of our reach.

Not a terrible thought though

If we want to take a chance on someone, and I know this wont be popular but I would love to offer Sammy Sosa a 1 year incentive-laden deal. I assume there wont be too many people banging down his door to play for them.

I think Sosa would be a great idea. I don't know how low of a deal Sosa would take, but the highest I'd give him guarenteed would be $350,000, with a ton of incentives.

Being that he is a vet, I think he would get $750,000 guaranteed (assuming he wasnt just a ST invite)

I think Sosa would be a great idea. I don't know how low of a deal Sosa would take, but the highest I'd give him guarenteed would be $350,000, with a ton of incentives.

Being that he is a vet, I think he would get $750,000 guaranteed (assuming he wasnt just a ST invite)

Yeah, he's going to have to be guaranteed something, he turned down the ST thing with Washington.

In this market, if you can get a productive bat for a reasonable deal, or a one year deal, why not? Guarantee very little, pay for performace, that's meant to be the Marlins' MO...

Just give him reasonable incentives...20 HR's, 400 ABs....things that he can easily reach if he's healthy. I have no problem giving him 1-2 million if he's gonna put up the offensive numbers to warrant that kind of money. And this isn't even mentioning the money I think he'd make for the team by giving them another recognizable star, who happens to be chasing a major milestone.

I think adding either Sosa or Bonds (preferably Bonds) would be an incredibly smart move for the Marlins.

adding sosa is definetely not a good idea. first, it goes against everything this team is trying to build. an ineffective, washed up sammy will do nothing for this team. at most he can come up off the bench late in the game and strike out swinging at 3 straight fastballs at the letters. not to mention he is too much of a defensive liability, anyway. these young players need respected veterans in the clubhouse, not a juiced up slugger who has to cork his bat in order to keep up in the game. sammy is done and i can promise you the FO will not speculate the idea. we are better off with Eric Reed, atleast we know he wont be using.

can I vote for bonds at 12 million and fill the stadium up instead?

Only thing I'd want more this off-season is for Vernon Wells and Francisco Rodriguez to be donated to the Marlins.

vernon would save this franchise from misery. a sure-thing CF is exactly what the Fish need. could you imagine having Cabrera-Wells-Hammer in the heart of the order? with a little more help in the bullpen the fish would be looking at October. probably asking for too much though

I think adding either Sosa or Bonds (preferably Bonds) would be an incredibly smart move for the Marlins.

adding sosa is definetely not a good idea. first, it goes against everything this team is trying to build. an ineffective, washed up sammy will do nothing for this team. at most he can come up off the bench late in the game and strike out swinging at 3 straight fastballs at the letters. not to mention he is too much of a defensive liability, anyway. these young players need respected veterans in the clubhouse, not a juiced up slugger who has to cork his bat in order to keep up in the game. sammy is done and i can promise you the FO will not speculate the idea. we are better off with Eric Reed, atleast we know he wont be using.

Only thing I'd want more this off-season is for Vernon Wells and Francisco Rodriguez to be donated to the Marlins.

vernon would save this franchise from misery. a sure-thing CF is exactly what the Fish need. could you imagine having Cabrera-Wells-Hammer in the heart of the order? with a little more help in the bullpen the fish would be looking at October. probably asking for too much though

Not wanting Sammy or Bonds here. But that corked bat episode wasn't exactly Sammy's fault. He made a call to the comish's office and was complaining about the strike zone. The commish said, "Just put a cork in it Sammy." Apparently Sammy didn't understand American slang.

Not wanting Sammy or Bonds here. But that corked bat episode wasn't exactly Sammy's fault. He made a call to the comish's office and was complaining about the strike zone. The commish said, "Just put a cork in it Sammy." Apparently Sammy didn't understand American slang.

LOL! :thumbup

If the organization feels content on trading Jacobs for a CF and moving Willy to 1B, could we take a 1 year flier on the guy and put him in LF? Probably be cheap.. a nutcase coming off of a TJ surgery. Doesn't exactly set your price very high.

I've been saying since this rumor started that I doubt the orginazation is going to trade Jake. And that I didn't think it was the best idea. While playing injured most of the year he still put up some decent numbers at the plate despite lousy numbers vs lefties. Get him healthy and let's see what he can do. Quotes I have been reading from Beinfest recently seem to concur with that thinking. Give him another year with Perry and he will develope into an every day 1B that is not a liability on D. I doubt he turns into a GG player, but he should be fine.

Moving Willingham to 1B is silly. He started getting better out there in LF. He basically had no time there to learn the position in ST. He was playing injured alot He's been tried in too many positions. Leave him be. Now that we have a coach dedicated to OFers I think is a big plus for him.

Jeremy would be my choice to use as trade bait from our major league stable but I doubt they even do that. Looks like the team is gambling on his natural ability shinning through after a dismal rookie year.

I look more for trades involving some of our minor league players, both pitching and position players. That isn't going to bring us any big name CFer in here but then I never expected to see a big name signed.

QSammy Sosa said he doesn't care about the money and that he just wants to play. Do you think the Marlins can sign him as a spring training invite to be a bench player? He would had some decent power from the bench.

Kelly, Boston, MA 12/03/06

AI've heard speculation that the Marlins might sign him as a fan draw. Sammy, however, doesn't have a reputation as being a great teammate and Admin Beinfest, if he's considering Sosa, will have to weight how his actions in the clubhouse will affect a young, impressionable team. I don't think he'll sign him.

Kevin Baxter 12/04/06

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/qa_forum.htm