McKeon at Winter Meetings

Stag5

Maybe Jack will do prep work for deals...you know offer around Nicky Rolasco and Alfred Agmeza. In all seriousness I'm glad to see Jack a part of the Winter Meetings.

Okay, free agent prediction(shocker)..Kenny Lofton to the Marlins. Look around, where is he going to go? White Sox? Rangers? Nats? My thinking is Beinfest knows two things happen by midseason. First, Kenny Lofton is tradeable on a one-year deal. Secondly, someone on the Marlins staff will develop into our # 6 starter at which time one becomes tradeable for the young CF'er we want as opposed to the one others want to trade us.

-----------------------------------------

McKEON'S ROLE

While the Marlins are locked up in their hotel suite discussing deals at next week's winter meetings in Orlando, former manager Jack McKeon will be working the hotel lobby on the team's behalf.

''He's our lobby rep,'' Beinfest said of McKeon, who remained in an advisory role with the Marlins after stepping down as manager after the 2005 season.

Said McKeon of his assignment: ``I'll go down there and see what I can find out.''

McKeon brings experience working the lobby. When he was general manager of the San Diego Padres, McKeon said he remembers one winter meeting when he set up in the lobby with a sign reading, ``Open for business.''

Kenny Lofton, did he not sign with someone already, am I missing something here?

A source told the Chicago Tribune that the Cubs are working to sign free agent Kenny Lofton.

The Rangers are also believed to be in the mix for Lofton. That the Cubs are trying to sign him could be taken as an indication that they don't expect to land Julio Lugo.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Soriano is playing RF.

Not according to his own profile on the Cubs website

Jacques Jones will be in RF. I've heard nothing to suggest they have anyone interested in him to trade with. Murton will be in LF.

And if the Cubs need a 4th OF to defensively sub in, they can just call up Felix Pie and put him in CF when need be. No conceivable need or use for Lofton.

Soriano is playing RF.

Jacques Jones will be in RF. I've heard nothing to suggest they have anyone interested in him to trade with. Murton will be in LF.

And if the Cubs need a 4th OF to defensively sub in, they can just call up Felix Pie and put him in CF when need be. No conceivable need or use for Lofton.

There was talk of a Jacque Jones for Jason Jennings swap with the Rockies... but that probably depends if they sign Schmidt and/or Lilly.

Soriano is playing RF.

There was talk of a Jacque Jones for Jason Jennings swap with the Rockies... but that probably depends if they sign Schmidt and/or Lilly.

Either way, for the time being, the Cubs has Soriano lined up to play CF.