Possibility of a "temporary surge" of U.S. forces in Iraq

Hotcorner

President Bush is getting ready to announce (it's assumed) a change in strategy in Iraq in January. One strong possibility (and I think it's likely Bush is going this way) is a temporary surge in U.S. forces, presumably for a strong push to secure Baghdad so that Iraqi military and police forces can hold the city, provide some measure of security there & have enough time to better train their forces.

What's your feelings on it and why? Think it's a good idea and will help us succeed? Good idea but should be long-term? Good idea but won't work? Is it for window dressing only, so it doesn't seem we're completely "cutting & running"? Waste of resources? Won't make any difference in the long run? Should we be pulling troops out instead of adding them?

The Iraq Study Group (led by James Baker & Lee Hamilton) seems to be recommending moving troops into a supporting role and imbedding them with Iraqi units (with a drawdown happening sooner rather than later) coupled with trying to get neighboring nations including Iran & Syria engaged in the process of securing the country. I don't know how much of this Bush will adopt though... I doubt he'll have anything to do with Iran or Syria, and he's got studies and reports from many different sources he can pick and choose from.

Clearly, this is just a half-hearted attempt to make it look like the White House tried to fix the problems in Iraq before giving up.

The failure last summer of the increase in U.S. troops in Baghdad to solve the security crisis was a good example of how more troops is NOT going to help things.

We need to pull U.S. forces away from the cities, and limit their city patrols as much as possible. Patrols become targets of resistance groups very quickly, and appear as a symbol of imperialism to any remaining moderate Iraqis.

Honestly, I don't see any way at this point to save that country. We have had nearly four years now, and our influence in Iraq is decreasing by the day. At this point, our soldiers are caught in the middle of a civil war that has been going on for months now.

I would also have to believe that at this point, things couldn't get any worse if we pulled all troops out now, as opposed to leaving them there for an indeterminate amount of time.

just as long as there is no draft and me and people my age aren't dragged out there...

Don't worry, we don't want you.

didn't mean to offend, but i do not support the war nor would I ever be violent. It's not worth my potential career as a journalist.

Serving your country and going to Iraq or Afghanistan would probably be one of the best things you could do for your career as a journalist because you would be one of the very few who actually has a lick of credibility. The Army and Marine Corps both have Combat Corespondent jobs. Nothing can really compare to Being able to put that you were a Combat Corespondent in the United States Marine Corps on your resume when you apply for a job at a newspaper or whereever. You would see more, do more, experience more, and accomplish more than any of your peers in school for journalism while serving your country at the same time. Can't beat that.

just as long as there is no draft and me and people my age aren't dragged out there...

didn't mean to offend, but i do not support the war nor would I ever be violent. It's not worth my potential career as a journalist.

Serving your country and going to Iraq would probably be one of the best things you could do for your career as a journalist because you would be one of the very few who actually has a lick of credibility. The Army and Marine Corps both have Combat Corespondent jobs. Nothing can really compare to Being able to put that you were a Combat Corespondent in the United States Marine Corps on your resume.

his point is, its difficult to type with a bullet in your head

Serving your country and going to Iraq would probably be one of the best things you could do for your career as a journalist because you would be one of the very few who actually has a lick of credibility. The Army and Marine Corps both have Combat Corespondent jobs. Nothing can really compare to Being able to put that you were a Combat Corespondent in the United States Marine Corps on your resume.

or an arm missing.

Nobody ever puts things into perspective. The odds are something happening to you simply driving to work everyday on I-95 are far greater than something happening to you in Iraq.

Nobody ever puts things into perspective. The odds are something happening to you simply driving to work everyday on I-95 are far greater than something happening to you in Iraq.

you arent a target on I-95...you are in iraq...thanks but ill take my chances in places that involve not checking road side bombs or having ak-47's pointed at me...but you have fun now

didn't mean to start a flame war. I respect your opinion and decision, Accord, but I am someone who would not do well in combat at all for reasons beyond my control. Like I said, I do not support the war, but I do support our troops in combat.

Going to Iraq does not mean you'll be in combat. People don't realize that an overwhelming majority, something like 85% of all troops in Iraq are non-combat arms. Most are in tents working on computers or doing something of that nature. Most servicemen who go to Iraq never even so much as fire their rifle once because most troops never leave the wire. Yeah it's still dangerous, but it's no where even close to what most people in America think it is. Unless you go infantry, artillery, or another combat job, your chances of seeing any action are extremely low, and if you have a job like combat corespondant, network administrator, etc. you'll never even leave the wire.