Parcells Retires

El Guapo

ESPN reports Bill Pacells not coming back....

Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle. He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," he said in a statement. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. "

He will be back to the giants next year I think

Not a chance. Besides, management just EXTENDED Tom Coughlin's contract another year. That puts his contract up at the end of 2008. Hmmm... who becomes available for the 2009 season? Oh right - Bill Cowher.

Which brings up another thought - if you were Cowher, would you rather take on the NY or Miami coaching job? Advantages and disadvantages to both. Or, is there some other team you can see him coaching for?

He will be back to the giants next year I think

Not a chance. Besides, management just EXTENDED Tom Coughlin's contract another year. That puts his contract up at the end of 2008. Hmmm... who becomes available for the 2009 season? Oh right - Bill Cowher.

Which brings up another thought - if you were Cowher, would you rather take on the NY or Miami coaching job? Advantages and disadvantages to both. Or, is there some other team you can see him coaching for?

I honestly think we're in with Cameron for the long haul, but if I were to handicap where Cowher lands up, I'd go with either Dallas (because they want to keep running the 3-4) or the dark horse San Diego.

I don't think Miami's on the radar screen because although it's a prestigious position, the team is either going to be in shambles or Cameron will have revived Culpepper's career, in either case it's a situation that won't exactly present a desireable open door for Cowher (since if the latter is true, Cameron's sticking around).

When Parcells first went to Dallas, I'm sure fans were expecting big things from him. He did lead the Cowboys to two divisional playoff games but lost both. He never really gave the fans what they were expecting from him. He'll be back in a year with another team.

He inherited a team with Quincy Carter at QB and late round draft picks at just about every position of consequence.

Any expectations of a championship were unreasonable, he took a floundering franchise and turned them around.

Remember when he told Bob Kraft he didn't have the desire to coach anymore (even wrote the Kraft family a letter) and took the the Jets job like a week later? Bill Parcells certainly knows how to quit a job.

BTW, I think if Parcells continues to be in the NFL, it will be as a GM. And that's why I think he will be with the Giants. Call me crazy, but Reese seems like he's just holding someone's spot.

I'm glad he got out of there. And I don't blame him for leaving all that bulls***.

I'll go on record and say this, the way Dallas is going it's going to continue to stay a mediocre franchise looking at it's illustrious past. Jerry Jones gets in the way of their success and you CANNOT win, or continue to do so, in this day and age when you build your team from free agency more than waiting for your own talent to get better.

Part of me wishes Jimmy Johnson would come out of retirement and coach this team so I could laugh at all the hoopla, see these Cowboys fans get excited and then turn on him at the first sign of adversity, all the while getting similar results to Parcells.

I'm glad he got out of there. And I don't blame him for leaving all that bulls***.

I'll go on record and say this, the way Dallas is going it's going to continue to stay a mediocre franchise looking at it's illustrious past. Jerry Jones gets in the way of their success and you CANNOT win, or continue to do so, in this day and age when you build your team from free agency more than waiting for your own talent to get better.

Part of me wishes Jimmy Johnson would come out of retirement and coach this team so I could laugh at all the hoopla, see these Cowboys fans get excited and then turn on him at the first sign of adversity, all the while getting similar results to Parcells.

:notworthy :lol :lol

It's so true!

And you don't see that with Redskins fans and Joe Gibbs. :thumbup

The only problem I have with this statement is that you make it sound like the Cowboys are a hopeless franchise in the same season they made the playoffs. I think the talent they have now combined with one or two pieces and some experience makes the Cowboys SB contenders next year.

With leatherface chasing Parcells out of Dodge, that doesn't seem very likely anymore. More over, if through some act of God the Cowboys DO win the SB next year, it won't be because of the new coach...

The only problem I have with this statement is that you make it sound like the Cowboys are a hopeless franchise in the same season they made the playoffs. I think the talent they have now combined with one or two pieces and some experience makes the Cowboys SB contenders next year.

With leatherface chasing Parcells out of Dodge, that doesn't seem very likely anymore. More over, if through some act of God the Cowboys DO win the SB next year, it won't be because of the new coach...

In a conference when an 8-8 season could have gotten you in the playoffs that means absolutely nothing. Face it, the NFC has been down for a little while. Except for the Bears and the Saints nobody really did anything spectacular. Two good teams made it, while the rest were pretty mediocre.

And for the Cowboys a down year constitutes not making AT THE LEAST a conference championship.

Essentially, they suck. If they're going to make the Superbowl and get past the Bears or Saints they have to get A LOT better and play 4 quarters of football and not 1 and a half or whatever they play down there.

They went 9-7 and lost to division rival Philly twice, the sucky Giants, and DETROIT. Yes, that Detroit. Man, the Cowboys are sweet.