UM recruiting thread

Fishfan79

Jared Campbell officallly committed to UM last night :) per rivals

We didn't really 'steal' him from Washington.

He says he was waiting on a Cane offer and got it Jan. 22 when Walton text messaged him that Miami has room for him in the class. He had the offer letter faxed to his school Jan. 24.

He wanted to come here. We just took our time before deciding to give him an offer.

Yes but he was already committed, he decommitted a couple of days ago.

He is calais little brother, my biggest hope is he can get Calais to stay for his senior year! Of course I doubt it, after this year he will be a top 5 pick in the NFL draft

Couple more top recruits will give UM a strong class

By BARRY JACKSON

[email protected]

With signing day 10 days away, the University of Miami is gaining momentum, but needs a couple more difference-makers to have a very good recruiting class, analysts say.

UM is the clear favorite to land Tampa Plant quarterback Robert Marve, and also is in the mix for elite Glades Central receiver Deonte Thompson.

''If they get Marve and Thompson, offensively, that's as good a class as they could have gotten,'' said Corey Long, Florida Football's managing editor. But analysts aren't optimistic about UM grabbing St. Thomas Aquinas safety Major Wright. ''Wright's probably headed to Ohio State,'' Long said.

Recruiting guru Tom Lemming, who has the Canes ranked 22nd, said UM ``is coming on strong. But they haven't gotten any of the big names, and that's not a good sign. If they can get Wright and Thompson, they would be back.''

Nine of UM's 13 oral commitments are on offense. That includes running backs Graig Cooper and Shawnbrey McNeal (''that's a great trio of running backs, with Javarris James,'' Lemming said); tackle Orlando Franklin and center Harland Gunn (ESPN has Gunn as UM's highest-rated prep commitment at 63rd overall); and receivers Leonard Hankerson (whom Long calls the best of this group), Jermaine McKenzie, Taurus McKinley, Kayne Farquharson and 6-6 Daniel Adderley.

''Deonte would make it the No. 1 class of receivers in the country,'' MSL Sports analyst Charles Fishbein said.

Fishbein said Marve, rated by ESPN as the nation's 77th-best player and 11th-best quarterback, ''has a little Brett Favre in him, but also a little Rex Grossman -- sometimes he relies on his arm too much.'' Long said Marve ``is a little more accurate version of Grossman.''

Defensively, UM has oral commitments from Hialeah end Adewale Ojomo, Texas-based tackle Chris Perry, Glades Central defensive back Damien Berry and NMB QB Doug Wiggins (a projected DB ''who might be Miami's best player in the class,'' Lemming said). Plus, Fishbein believes UM will get Monsignor Pace CB/WR Demarcus VanDyke (a UF commitment).

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...mi/16562897.htm

New Mr. Football has more than a passing interest in UM

By Omar Kelly

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Posted January 31 2007

CORAL GABLES ? Miami's coaches are making a frantic push to transform the signing class from solid to Marve-lous, as in Robert Marve, the Tampa quarterback expected to commit to UM today.

Marve, who likely will choose UM over Alabama this afternoon, was named Florida's Mr. Football after leading Tampa Plant to the Class 4A state title, setting state records for passing yards (4,380), completions (280) and touchdowns (48).

Click here to find out more!

LocalLinks

When he joins UM's crop of 14 commitments, he will become the Hurricanes' most high-profile catch and will have positioned himself to become Miami's quarterback of the future.

"I'm looking for a team that really believes in me," said Marve, whose father Eugene spent 12 seasons in the NFL as a linebacker for the Bills, Chargers and Buccaneers. "Look at Tim Tebow. The Florida Gators really believe in him and are going to make him the quarterback of their future. I want a school to believe in me like that. I think I've found that."

Since Marve's visit to Coral Gables two weeks ago, the Hurricanes have backed off all other quarterback prospects, including San Antonio's Nick Fanuzzi, proving to Marve he's their guy.

"That's why I'm confident the decision I made is definitely the right one," said Marve, who surpassed the passing records of Tebow, Florida's Mr. Football in 2005. "The program I'm choosing is the right fit for me and who I am."

When asked what that is, Marve boldly declared, "I'm a competitor."

If Marve signs with UM on Feb. 7 and enrolls in the summer, he'll be the first quarterback prospect to do so in three years.

UM has had bad luck landing quarterbacks because highly touted prospects such as Derek Shaw and Pat Devlin de-committed at the last minute to sign with Arizona State and Penn State, respectively. Arkansas quarterback Daniel Stegall signed a pro baseball contract a month before he was supposed to enroll at UM.

Earlier this month, Fanuzzi, who had been committed to UM since the summer, pulled a late switch, committing to Alabama. But that had a lot to do with Marve simultaneously distancing himself from his commitment to the Crimson Tide before Mike Shula was fired. Marve says his parents have fallen in love with UM since their visit in mid-January.

Along with the expected addition of Marve, there are four other prospects -- two South Florida players -- whose decisions could provide UM's signing class a significant boost.

Pace cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke was initially committed to UM before Admin Coker was fired. Van Dyke has since committed to Florida but remains interested in the Hurricanes and says his decision will be a "signing day shocker."

Three other prospects -- Jacksonville linebacker Brandon Hicks, Georgia linebacker/defensive end Allen Bailey and Glades Central receiver Deonte Thompson -- are torn between UM and Florida. Bailey, who is expected to announce his decision this week, also has Alabama on his short list.

UM has roughly 19 scholarship openings, but could sign less -- or more players -- based on how the class pans out.

Junior college receiver Kayne Farquharson has signed a letter-of-intent and is in town, but hasn't enrolled because he needs to pass a few more community college courses. Former Atlantic standout Orlando Franklin, who signed with UM last year but failed to qualify, has recommitted himself to Miami.

North Miami Beach cornerback Doug Wiggins graduated from high school early, is enrolled and will compete this spring for playing time.

A chance at earning early playing time is what new UM coach Randy Shannon is selling to all of Miami's recruits.

"We need to go get competition on this team because that's what makes us better," Shannon said. "When you have competition, everyone gets a lot better because they are working a lot harder. We're going to go out and find the best players at each position and keep recruiting."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college...sfla-hurricanes

Marve announces today, yesterday we lost major wright to UF btw

"I was stunned"

Kerry Murphy's comments about Miami.

Screw you Nick Satan, UM is gonna take your top recruit

He is a 4* DT btw :) He was Saban's first big commitment

Bailey and Hicks are both supposed to announce tonight between UF and UM

We also picked up Tyler Horn a project prospect for Center I believe.

We also got Harold Gunn a 4* OL prospect declared for UM :)

"I was stunned"

Kerry Murphy's comments about Miami.

Screw you Nick Satan, UM is gonna take your top recruit

He is a 4* DT btw :) He was Saban's first big commitment

Bailey and Hicks are both supposed to announce tonight between UF and UM

We also picked up Tyler Horn a project prospect for Center I believe.

We also got Harold Gunn a 4* OL prospect declared for UM :)

Hicks is going to UF.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...hig_hicks.shtml

Bailey is the better prospect though, IMO.

Is it possible that Deonte Thompson is gonna shock the world and pick FSU? Sounds like he had a pretty good visit in Tally this past weekend.

possible? of course, bowden is a good closer

but likely? Nah

UF is the favorite, then UM and then USC

I hope Bailey picks miami

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp...7&School=43

Looks like your hopes are going to happen dude. He is a miami commit according to rivals :whistle

This man is the one we need, If we get bailey, DVD and Marve. This and Wright are the two kids we need most. Thompson is a monster and would become a stud WR for us.

Also there is a big recruiting trip this weekend with Major Wright coming a 5* safety. Also DVD might come here instead of UF (4* safety). We just stole Calais Campbell's kid brother Jared Campbell supposedly from Colorado 3* S/CB

Also we have one of Louisville's commits coming in this weekend. We might swipe him too. But Wright and Thompson are the big 2 if we get bailey, DVD and Marve. I dont see anyway we can get Chad Jones or McKnight the two other kids I really wanted here. Jones is going to visit LSU this weekend so sounds like he will be locked up there.

Here is Deonte Thompson's bio on scout.com (I like that place better then rivals)

I will be really suprised if Thompson doesn't commit to Miami. Tarus McKinley (WR at Glades Central) and Damien Berry (S for Glades Central) have already committed to the U, and Deonte has always been a strong Miami fan. Seems like a pretty big lock to me, although so did Antone Smith two years ago and Preston Parker last year...

I was talking to Orlando Franklin in Delray about three weeks ago and he told me a really interesting story. Signing day last year, they both hadn't decided where they were signing until about an hour before the press conference. Preston told Orlando out of nowhere he thought he was going to pick FSU over UM, and tried to convince Orlando to go with him. Orlando called him crazy and signed with Miami, and Preston, a long time Miami fan, went to the Seminoles. So you can never predict anything...

This man is the one we need, If we get bailey, DVD and Marve. This and Wright are the two kids we need most. Thompson is a monster and would become a stud WR for us.

Also there is a big recruiting trip this weekend with Major Wright coming a 5* safety. Also DVD might come here instead of UF (4* safety). We just stole Calais Campbell's kid brother Jared Campbell supposedly from Colorado 3* S/CB

Also we have one of Louisville's commits coming in this weekend. We might swipe him too. But Wright and Thompson are the big 2 if we get bailey, DVD and Marve. I dont see anyway we can get Chad Jones or McKnight the two other kids I really wanted here. Jones is going to visit LSU this weekend so sounds like he will be locked up there.

Here is Deonte Thompson's bio on scout.com (I like that place better then rivals)

I will be really suprised if Thompson doesn't commit to Miami. Tarus McKinley (WR at Glades Central) and Damien Berry (S for Glades Central) have already committed to the U, and Deonte has always been a strong Miami fan. Seems like a pretty big lock to me, although so did Antone Smith two years ago and Preston Parker last year...

I was talking to Orlando Franklin in Delray about three weeks ago and he told me a really interesting story. Signing day last year, they both hadn't decided where they were signing until about an hour before the press conference. Preston told Orlando out of nowhere he thought he was going to pick FSU over UM, and tried to convince Orlando to go with him. Orlando called him crazy and signed with Miami, and Preston, a long time Miami fan, went to the Seminoles. So you can never predict anything...

Very true, we lost Major wright already in this draft class whom was supposedly always a big miami fan (how can a miami fan go to UF? ewww). But I think there is still some interesting options out there. I still really want Thompson down here. But I do have to say Randy shannon has had a great recruiting class this year so far, and I expect next years will be 4-5 times better.

I am glad Franklin came in this year :)

Now if we can get DVD back, perhaps steal Nichols from Rutgers and land a few other guys many believe we will I will be happy.

you gotta admit bailey is a great pick up :)

BobbyBowden

Seems I was wrong about Thompson, pretty crazy he now has Miami and FSU as his top 2 schools listed. Bowden is an amazing closer. I still think UM has the edge with so many from his team coming here and him being great friends with Marve. Want this kid, 4.28 40 time

BobbyBowden

Seems I was wrong about Thompson, pretty crazy he now has Miami and FSU as his top 2 schools listed. Bowden is an amazing closer. I still think UM has the edge with so many from his team coming here and him being great friends with Marve. Want this kid, 4.28 40 time

From my understanding, Deonte said he has never even seen Marve play, but said that from the things he's heard about him, his committment has an impact on his decision...

And BobbyBowden, I'm guessing you're an FSU fan. lol... A.J. Ganguzza committed there a few days ago from West Boca High. I wrote an article on Ganguzza for the Boca News before this season, and while I think he is a D-I player, I don't believe he is FSU good at all. I mean, he committed to FIU before FSU finally offered...

Bailey is a BEAST. The dude could play anywhere from LB to DT. Go look at some of his pictures posted. Looks like God himself designed him as the ultimate football tackling machine.

Looks very odd. Either a freak of nature or a product of steroids.

Come on now. It doesn't take steroids to get that big. Freak of nature with those long arms though? Yes. Don't throw around the steroid excuse toward every guy who works his ass off in the gym.

Bailey is a BEAST. The dude could play anywhere from LB to DT. Go look at some of his pictures posted. Looks like God himself designed him as the ultimate football tackling machine.

Looks very odd. Either a freak of nature or a product of steroids.

He isn't that cut, just absolutely massive. That's god given...

Boca High's Tyler Rice (4*, Duke's TOP commit last year) was built exactly like him. A 6-foot-5, 250-pound MLB with 4.7 speed beast. The only kid I have ever met that was 250-pounds with a six-pack. They said the same about him, being able to play anywhere in college from MLB to DE, or even moving him to TE because of his speed. Now he's 6-foot-5, 265-pounds of raw muscle in line to start for Duke next year at Defensive End (missed this past year due to knee surgery).

BobbyBowden

From my understanding, Deonte said he has never even seen Marve play, but said that from the things he's heard about him, his committment has an impact on his decision...

And BobbyBowden, I'm guessing you're an FSU fan. lol... A.J. Ganguzza committed there a few days ago from West Boca High. I wrote an article on Ganguzza for the Boca News before this season, and while I think he is a D-I player, I don't believe he is FSU good at all. I mean, he committed to FIU before FSU finally offered...

So yea, the latest news I'm hearing about Deonte is that its FSU and UM. Although Bobby made a nice push at the end, I think he signs with UM. Plus WR Bert Reed decommitted from UF and committed to FSU today and we still have WR Markish Jones on our board. But we'll see what happens, signing day is always crazy.

Wildcard, thanks for your imput on A.J. Ganguzza. Trust me, I wasn't too thrilled when I heard the new OL coach offered the kid a scholarship, but the coach is set at getting guys that are around 280-295lbs and no more. His system worked well at West Virginia and LSU for years, so I guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes for FSU.

Oh, and one more thing about Deonte. There is a rumor going around that Deonte recieved a phone call from Marve on Sunday evening, but Deonte has yet to return the call. I'll say it again, its just a rumor, but if its true, you have to believe that its good news for FSU.