Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lindstrom opening eyes in camp

Featured Replies

Lindstrom is a really nice guy ... perhaps too nice. I think Henry Owens is a much better fit.

Well I think I agree and disagree with everyone. The fastball is definately not an un-hittable pitch, but if it gets complimented by two or three average pitches than it could be trouble for any major league batter. As of right now if the only pitch he posseses is his fastball than slot him at the mopup role in loss games to further his whole arsenal, or put him in right after an outting of a moeller type pitcher who pitches in the 88 mph or 89 mph range, so his fatball can look 200 mph late in games.

it's pointless tswift...penguino takes the moneyball closer approach to new and fantastic extremes

Forgive me if I don't buy into a method that is based purely on precedence rather than logic.

your extremism is not forgiven. your views on relief pitching are looney

I feel that Borowksi has less talent than you are giving him credit for. Just because he has major league experience, it doesn't mean he is neither proven nor solid. I would take a minor leaguer with talent (not that Lindstrom is a fountain of it) and potential over a washed up and mediocre Borowski anyday.

 

how is Borowski washed up? ... as far as I am concerned he just revived his career. Get off his case already

Well he may be washed up after this year, recent marlins closers to go to another team haven't done so well, even Todd Jones era went up by almost 2 runs.

More on Lindstrom...

 

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_0224.html

 

Marlins' Lindstrom a man on a mission

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

 

Saturday, February 24, 2007

 

JUPITER ? Think you don't like it when religious folks come knocking on your door? Try having door after door slammed in your face. That's the reception Matt Lindstrom often got after he put his baseball career on hold to serve as a Mormon missionary in Sweden.

 

"It can be very nerve-wracking,'' said Lindstrom, who turned down a $750,000 offer from the Texas Rangers to spend three years spreading the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1999-2001.

"Those were humbling times,'' said Lindstrom, who was traded from the Mets to the Marlins in November.

 

Turns out, the experience might have been just the preparation the hard-throwing right-hander needed to finish games in the ninth inning if he wins the Marlins' closer job.

 

"We knocked on this one door in Stockholm and said who we were, and this guy answers. He's like 6-6, 350 pounds," Lindstrom recalled. "He said, 'Oh, you guys are Mormons?' His eyes got real wide, and he just flew off the handle.

 

"He stormed the door. I was thinking, 'We might have to fight this guy just to defend ourselves.' He grabbed us and pushed us into the elevator. His forearm got caught when the doors closed. My heart was racing.''

 

It wasn't always that bad. But Lindstrom said he got pushed, shoved and battered with verbal abuse more than enough times while trying to spread the Gospel.

 

"Swedish people aren't really adept at listening to people who want them to listen to a message about religion,'' he said. "They're blockheaded. I know, because I am one."

 

Lindstrom, whose great-grandfather immigrated from Sweden, is fluent in Swedish as a result of the missionary stay.

 

Although the experience delayed his baseball career, the 27-year-old rookie said it might be the reason his fastball was clocked in the winter at 102 mph.

 

Growing up in Rexburg, Idaho, he was a three-sport star who excelled at baseball in high school, when he threw a 92 mph fastball.

 

In his first year at Ricks Junior College in Idaho, he caught the attention of several scouts, but he submitted his application for missionary work and was assigned to Sweden.

 

"A bunch of scouts were telling me, 'Don't go, don't go. You're going to get drafted.' I said, 'This is something I've wanted to do my whole life.' "

 

He said he picked up a baseball just once in Sweden. When he returned, he started working out and hit triple digits on the radar gun, prompting one Marlins official to remark, "He can throw a marshmallow through a battleship.''

 

Where did that extra velocity come from?

 

"I only weighed 200 pounds in high school, then I went on my mission to Sweden and they fed me all that bread and cheese and fish,'' he said. "I came home and turned that extra fat into muscle."

 

Picked by the Mets in the 10th round of the 2002 draft, he pitched last season for Class A St. Lucie and Class AA Binghamton. He walked 21 and struck out 70 in 582/3 innings with an ERA of 3.37. The numbers are encouraging after he missed 2005 with a stress fracture in his upper arm.

 

At 6-feet-4, 220 pounds, Lindstrom has the physique of a closer, but he admits that a closer's intimidating persona clashes with his religious background.

 

During his missionary trip he had a 9:30 p.m. curfew, in bed by 10 p.m. and up at 6 a.m. He was allowed two phone calls a year - Christmas and Mother's Day. And he could write one letter a week.

 

He has no regrets about putting baseball on hold, although friends and teammates get a kick out of stories he tells.

 

"They say, 'You turn down almost a million dollars to go on this thing. Don't you regret going?' No way, man. I got two years of stories to tell my kids."

 

Pitching updates: Right-hander Anibal Sanchez threw a bullpen session Friday and showed no signs of soreness in his shoulder.

 

"He'll be ready to throw some BP here in the next day or two and we'll keep moving forward," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "He's about five days behind the other guys, but it will work itself out."

 

Right-hander Josh Johnson didn't feel as sore Friday as he did after Thursday's throwing session, which he said is a positive sign.

 

Johnson, who has had a sore right forearm since Jan. 19, ran and did conditioning but didn't throw and remains on his timetable of throwing two days in a row and then taking a day off.

 

Gonzalez will announce his pitching plan today for Tuesday's exhibition opener against the University of Miami, but regular position players are expected to get at least on at-bat against UM.

Pretty standup guy.

Think you don't like it when religious folks come knocking on your door? Try having door after door slammed in your face. That's the reception Matt Lindstrom often got after he put his baseball career on hold to serve as a Mormon missionary in Sweden.

 

"It can be very nerve-wracking,'' said Lindstrom, who turned down a $750,000 offer from the Texas Rangers to spend three years spreading the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1999-2001.

 

"Those were humbling times,'' said Lindstrom, who was traded from the Mets to the Marlins in November.

 

Turns out, the experience might have been just the preparation the hard-throwing right-hander needed to finish games in the ninth inning if he wins the Marlins' closer job.

 

I don't see how learning to deal with rejection and what is like to get doors slammed in your face is good preparation for closing games. If I'm looking to see if the guy has the right closer mentality I don't like to read things like this -

 

At 6-feet-4, 220 pounds, Lindstrom has the physique of a closer, but he admits that a closer's intimidating persona clashes with his religious background.

 

Matt "Mr. Nice Guy" Lindstrom?

 

Still, I am a bit more optimistic about Lindstrom than I was when the Marlins first acquired him. From the Mets scouting reports I read at the time, it sounded like his fastball, while it has great velocity, was as straight as an arrow. Reports I have read recently indicate he is working on improving his two-seam fastball and his slider. I don't know if he is ideal to be our closer, but I am definitely interested to see what he can do this spring.

that's terrible. his silly religion has already cost him a ton of money and definitely hurt his career track.

Think you don't like it when religious folks come knocking on your door? Try having door after door slammed in your face. That's the reception Matt Lindstrom often got after he put his baseball career on hold to serve as a Mormon missionary in Sweden.

 

"It can be very nerve-wracking,'' said Lindstrom, who turned down a $750,000 offer from the Texas Rangers to spend three years spreading the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1999-2001.

 

"Those were humbling times,'' said Lindstrom, who was traded from the Mets to the Marlins in November.

 

Turns out, the experience might have been just the preparation the hard-throwing right-hander needed to finish games in the ninth inning if he wins the Marlins' closer job.

 

I don't see how learning to deal with rejection and what is like to get doors slammed in your face is good preparation for closing games. If I'm looking to see if the guy has the right closer mentality I don't like to read things like this -

 

At 6-feet-4, 220 pounds, Lindstrom has the physique of a closer, but he admits that a closer's intimidating persona clashes with his religious background.

 

Matt "Mr. Nice Guy" Lindstrom?

 

Still, I am a bit more optimistic about Lindstrom than I was when the Marlins first acquired him. From the Mets scouting reports I read at the time, it sounded like his fastball, while it has great velocity, was as straight as an arrow. Reports I have read recently indicate he is working on improving his two-seam fastball and his slider. I don't know if he is ideal to be our closer, but I am definitely interested to see what he can do this spring.

He is working on a splitter right now

that's terrible. his silly religion has already cost him a ton of money and definitely hurt his career track.

 

:rolleyes:

 

btw he added velocity after coming back. so it might have actually helped his career.

Think you don't like it when religious folks come knocking on your door? Try having door after door slammed in your face. That's the reception Matt Lindstrom often got after he put his baseball career on hold to serve as a Mormon missionary in Sweden.

 

"It can be very nerve-wracking,'' said Lindstrom, who turned down a $750,000 offer from the Texas Rangers to spend three years spreading the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1999-2001.

 

"Those were humbling times,'' said Lindstrom, who was traded from the Mets to the Marlins in November.

 

Turns out, the experience might have been just the preparation the hard-throwing right-hander needed to finish games in the ninth inning if he wins the Marlins' closer job.

 

I don't see how learning to deal with rejection and what is like to get doors slammed in your face is good preparation for closing games. If I'm looking to see if the guy has the right closer mentality I don't like to read things like this -

 

At 6-feet-4, 220 pounds, Lindstrom has the physique of a closer, but he admits that a closer's intimidating persona clashes with his religious background.

 

Matt "Mr. Nice Guy" Lindstrom?

 

Still, I am a bit more optimistic about Lindstrom than I was when the Marlins first acquired him. From the Mets scouting reports I read at the time, it sounded like his fastball, while it has great velocity, was as straight as an arrow. Reports I have read recently indicate he is working on improving his two-seam fastball and his slider. I don't know if he is ideal to be our closer, but I am definitely interested to see what he can do this spring.

 

He's used to seeing door closed in his face so he's due to close some door in other teams faces. :whistle

that's terrible. his silly religion has already cost him a ton of money and definitely hurt his career track.

 

:rolleyes:

 

btw he added velocity after coming back. so it might have actually helped his career.

are you saying every Marlin's pitcher should take a mission trip to Holland then? or some some sort of 3-yrs layoff where no baseball activity occurs? sign this kid up beinfest!

Just for the record, Missions are generally 2-years unless something else cuts them short. I would imagine that the person writing the article just messed up on that probably, although I suppose he could've had his extended.

 

And while I am not sure, I remember having heard at some point that JJ was also LDS, although I'm pretty sure based on his age he hasn't served a mission.

 

that's terrible. his silly religion has already cost him a ton of money and definitely hurt his career track.

Because there's nothing more important in the world...

that's terrible. his silly religion has already cost him a ton of money and definitely hurt his career track.

 

:rolleyes:

 

btw he added velocity after coming back. so it might have actually helped his career.

are you saying every Marlin's pitcher should take a mission trip to Holland then? or some some sort of 3-yrs layoff where no baseball activity occurs? sign this kid up beinfest!

 

oh give me a f***in break. All's im saying is that its stupid to be bashing this kid for following his beliefs. And in the end it worked out good for him and he's now in a good postion to get his career going. If ya ask me all has turned out quite good for him. And btw i'll be a jackass and point out that he went to Sweden, not Holland.

notice how I called religion silly and not the kid. another case of reading comprehension gone awry.

 

and, no, you said more. you said his 3yr layoff from baseball could have helped his velocity (huh?), while I said that it cost him money and a stunted career track. which statement looks ridiculous?

notice how I called religion silly and not the kid. another case of reading comprehension gone awry.

 

and, no, you said more. you said his 3yr layoff from baseball could have helped his velocity (huh?), while I said that it cost him money and a stunted career track. which statement looks ridiculous?

 

:rolleyes: oh, you are full of yourself

are you saying every Marlin's pitcher should take a mission trip to Holland then?

 

Everyone should take a trip to Holland. Thats my philosophy.

that's terrible. his silly religion has already cost him a ton of money and definitely hurt his career track.

Come on Shambone, the guy made a big sacrifice for something he truly believes in. Maybe we all don't agree with his faith, but you've gotta admire him for having that kind of conviction and doing it in a peaceful manner.

Im betting it was more foisted upon him by family than anything else. These poor slobs evangelize on the UF campus from time to time. I feel sorry that they're forced to waste so many of their best years on silly ORGANIZED religion. Religion in itself is fine.

The article makes it seem like it's something he's wanted to do his entire life.

 

As long as they're being peaceful about it and not really forcing anything on anyone else you can't hate on them for doing something they believe in. Now I don't know the exact nature of their door to door calls, but from what it seemed like they just knocked and wanted to talk. If the residents didn't answer or said no, they didn't persist. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.