Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins release, re-sign Travis Bowyer

Featured Replies

Travis Bowyer-R- Marlins

 

Marlins released RHP Travis Bowyer. Bowyer missed all of 2006 after shoulder surgery, and the Marlins were left with little idea when he might be ready to pitch this season. It's likely that he'll be re-signed to a minor league deal if he clears release waivers.

 

Source: Rotoworld.

 

 

What a brilliant trade that was. :confused

Well we all know how I feel about trading Louie...but when you look at the other deals, it more than compensates.

I guess they expect him to clear waivers since he isn't ready to play and resign him.

God I miss Luis.

I agree that was never a smart trade, especially considering the huge number of pitching prospects the Twins have.

That just shows you how franchises make stupid trades.... However, in our case its 1 out of the tons that we have made that didnt turn into gold

:lol

I see you got here first... dammit..

 

anyway

 

:lol !!!!!!!

 

That just shows you how franchises make stupid trades.... However, in our case its 1 out of the tons that we have made that didnt turn into gold

we totally dropped the ball on this one.

 

they had about 6 arms to choose from and we took the worst option possible

Wasn't the idea to re-sign him after he makes it through waivers?

 

I thought this was being done so we could free up a roster spot on the forty man roster. I think we've done this any number of times over the last few years because it's really just making room for someone else while he heals. Time may prove me wrong but I believe he'll remain in the Marlins organization when this (going through waivers) is concluded.

el penguino Posted Today, 08:14 PM

Unless I'm forgetting one, the only trade that I would consider to be in the Marlins favor was the Red Sox one.

 

id say that's far from certain at this point

 

Wasn't the idea to re-sign him after he makes it through waivers?

 

I thought this was being done so we could free up a roster spot on the forty man roster. I think we've done this any number of times over the last few years because it's really just making room for someone else while he heals. Time may prove me wrong but I believe he'll remain in the Marlins organization when this (going through waivers) is concluded.

point is still that the trade was bollocks

i cant believe everyone is complaining. we had a bad trade, but we did get the salary off the books... money which is now going to cabrera and willis.

 

and we got a ROOKIE ALL STAR 2nd baseman replacement that has a whole career ahead of him. luis was phenomenal. one of the best marlins ever.... but we're not doing to bad with what we got.

Unless I'm forgetting one, the only trade that I would consider to be in the Marlins favor was the Red Sox one.

gaby looks pretty damn good too honestly. It is fair trade with loduca I think so far.

el penguino Posted Today, 08:14 PM

Unless I'm forgetting one, the only trade that I would consider to be in the Marlins favor was the Red Sox one.

 

id say that's far from certain at this point

 

Wasn't the idea to re-sign him after he makes it through waivers?

 

I thought this was being done so we could free up a roster spot on the forty man roster. I think we've done this any number of times over the last few years because it's really just making room for someone else while he heals. Time may prove me wrong but I believe he'll remain in the Marlins organization when this (going through waivers) is concluded.

point is still that the trade was bollocks

Who are we waiting on? Jacobs? Nolasco? Petit? I could be wrong but I don't think the first two have bright futures.

you thought the Cubs got the best of us in the Pierre trade?

i cant believe everyone is complaining. we had a bad trade, but we did get the salary off the books... money which is now going to cabrera and willis.

 

and we got a ROOKIE ALL STAR 2nd baseman replacement that has a whole career ahead of him. luis was phenomenal. one of the best marlins ever.... but we're not doing to bad with what we got.

one has nothing to do with the other

el penguino Posted Today, 08:14 PM

Unless I'm forgetting one, the only trade that I would consider to be in the Marlins favor was the Red Sox one.

 

id say that's far from certain at this point

 

Wasn't the idea to re-sign him after he makes it through waivers?

 

I thought this was being done so we could free up a roster spot on the forty man roster. I think we've done this any number of times over the last few years because it's really just making room for someone else while he heals. Time may prove me wrong but I believe he'll remain in the Marlins organization when this (going through waivers) is concluded.

point is still that the trade was bollocks

Who are we waiting on? Jacobs? Nolasco? Petit? I could be wrong but I don't think the first two have bright futures.

you thought the Cubs got the best of us in the Pierre trade?

 

Nolasco did a ton more for us last year than Pierre did for the cubs last year. and now Nolasco's still with us and JP's getting 11mil a year in LA :lol

from the official site

Fish bites: Reliever Travis Bowyer was released on Thursday and promptly re-signed to a Minor League contract. Acquired as part of the Luis Castillo trade with the Twins, Bowyer underwent right shoulder surgery last August, and he is expected to miss his second straight season. ...

In hindsight the mistake in Bowyer's case was waiting almost the full season before having him go under the knife.

 

Had they not waited in hopes things would resolve themselves and he had surgery a year ago (it was during spring training he was hurt) instead of waiting until August you'd be looking at Bowyer fighting for, or close to fighting for a spot on this team right now. He was healthy during the winter working out with (I think) Nolan Ryan or maybe it was Randy Johnson and focusing on improving his breaking ball (curve, slider, etc.) to compliment his close to 100 mph fastball.

 

He may turn out to be the next Tim Spooneybarger but I think it's too early to write him off without seeing what he looks like when he makes his attempt at a comeback. I am really curious (and tried all last summer to find out) whose advice they were following about putting off surgery or whether he didn't want to go under the knife (hint hint *cough" Ramp *cough*). Somewhere along the line there was either bad medical advice or a kid being stubborn or scared, and I have to admit to being curious what the back story was.

I'll ask around, but Bowyer has always been a touchy subject with them

 

That was what I got all last summer too. I asked everyone in and out of the media and got nowhere.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.