Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Anti-Virus Software

Featured Replies

Can someone recommend to me some good anti-virus software that

 

a. takes up few resources

b. does not have to have much set-up

c. protects your computer live

d. won't block alot of my existing programs

 

Free or not doesn't matter.

 

I use Windows Defender, but I am not sure if that is enough.

 

Thanks.

I use AVG Anti-Virus, its free for all home users and its always gotten the jobe done for me. Doesn't take up any resources and doesnt block any programs. Updates everyday and I just have it do the daily 8 AM scan to make sure.

 

I love it.

Windows Defender is not enough.

 

Who is your internet service provider? Many now provide complimentary anti-virus software. I use the new EMBARQ Online Security and like it very much.

 

AVG Free is good, but if your ISP bundles one in for you, use it.

I get Symantec for free from school. It and its predecessors have been the highest profile programs forever, and when I looked through all the reviews, there was a general consensus that it provides the highest level of protection.

 

That said, it slows everything down considerably. On my new computer, it took me about a day to give up and uninstall it. I'm back to AVG free, and I have no complaints.

 

Avast is another free one that gets phenomenal reviews on a number of websites. I might try it out later.

AVG def.

 

 

Low system resources. No setup just use out of the box. Plus it's free! I never know this program is running on my machine and it keeps me protected from eeeeeeeevil!!!

Avast! is a really great program. The scans take a while but are incredibly thorough. I recently used it to remove a trojan from a friends computer that wasn't found by Norton [which he had on his laptop], McAffee [i had on boot disk with updated definitions], or FProt [also on boot disk with updated definitions]. You can download it here [registration is free - they email you the serial number you need for install and do not SPAM]:

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

 

Make sure you are up to snuff on Spyware utilities too. The two must-haves are:

Spware Blaster - it doesn't "run" so it uses ZERO RESOURCES. It makes registry tweaks that block certain sights and spyware apps.

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

 

and Ad-Aware SE Personal - try to run a scan a couple of times a week. It doesn't take very long and has the added bonus of cleaning up a lot of files that your OS leaves behind.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

 

These are all free programs.

I have been anti-virus free for about four months (up until two days ago) and have been ok thanks to Ad-Aware Pro (with Ad-Watch, which is great) and Spybot.

 

I had PC-Cillen for a while, and it was solid but it costs. You can try it for free for three months I believe to see if you'd like it. Also comes with a bunch of amenities.

I dont like AVG at all,its screwed up my comp.. Although I dont really use my PC that much because of my laptop.

 

Anyways, what I have on my pc is Norton (Corporate Edition) Its the smallest ant-virus system out there... Its used by companies that run tons of things from their computers at the same time... Its not like the normal Norton where it takes up half of your comp..

Just make sure your antivirus software's firewall function doesn't block out ports you use to communicate with your ISP.

 

AVG locked my wireless card and I had to stop it from doing that to use my laptop wirelessly with my desktop as the access point to my EMBARQ DSL.

  • Author

I don't even mess with firewalls. Personally I don't think they add much and I am port forwarded for my torrent use and I don't want anything messing that up so I don't even bother configuring one.

I have been anti-virus free for about four months (up until two days ago) and have been ok thanks to Ad-Aware Pro (with Ad-Watch, which is great) and Spybot.

Well then, you've been luck. Those are both anti-spyware apps and do nothing to prevent viruses. It's like saying, "I got my flu shot so I wont get my nappy headed ho pregnant."

 

You need to get an AV program, brother. Grab Avast! from the link above. It's free and it doesn't mess anything up because it doesn't have any pre-bundled firewall or IDS.

 

I don't even mess with firewalls. Personally I don't think they add much...

10/10 Security experts would disagree. :mischief

 

I just spent the last two weeks restoring a building maintenance server that got hacked because management didn’t want to spend the extra couple hundred dollars on a halfway decent firewall appliance. No one even knew until the FBI came knocking to find out why our server was being used in a swarm attack on a credit card system.

 

Guess how long it took us to get a new firewall appliance in place and a VLAN established per my original proposal? Yeah - less than 24 hours.

 

Fortunately for me, I was in Nigeria at the time of this whole incident. :thumbup

  • Author

Fortunately for me I only use my laptop for word processing, Internet, music, and porn.

Fortunately for me I only use my laptop for word processing, Internet, music, and porn.

me too!

 

NOD-32 works great havent gotten a virus since

i tried NOD-32 and i didnt like it.

 

Avast was okay for me, but i got tired of it after awhile and it just wasnt working for me. AVG really did the trick and u just install it and let the updates run. Quick and easy, i absolutely love it!

I have been anti-virus free for about four months (up until two days ago) and have been ok thanks to Ad-Aware Pro (with Ad-Watch, which is great) and Spybot.

Well then, you've been luck. Those are both anti-spyware apps and do nothing to prevent viruses. It's like saying, "I got my flu shot so I wont get my nappy headed ho pregnant."

 

You need to get an AV program, brother. Grab Avast! from the link above. It's free and it doesn't mess anything up because it doesn't have any pre-bundled firewall or IDS.Yeah, I def worded that wrong.

 

I've had PC-Cillen this entire time, it's just been expired for four months.

best anti-virus software

 

:::see signature::

 

 

 

 

:notworthy

 

 

 

You got that right. :thumbup

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

So I have NOD-32 now.

 

Can I just leave it as is right now and be assured it is doing it's job (real-time protection)?

I spent a devil of a time on Friday trying to get a rootkit off our Dell Media Center PC in the Family Room. AVG's Anti-Rootkit Tool finally got the job done. Sometimes you have to get specific tools to remove stuff your Anti-Virus software tells you about.

 

Make sure to keep your machine up-to-date with Windows Update, Manufacturer Drivers, and Virus Definitions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.