How much do you tip on a takeout bill?

TheDon

I just picked up some sushi takeout.

My bill was $59 and change (very hungry coupled with sushi = large bill for 2 people) :shrugs

How much would you tip the person who took your order/bagged everything up etc?

I recieved good/slightly above average service.

Remember its takeout not delivery.

I'll let you know what I tipped after I get some responses.

I wouldn't tip anything unless they took everything out of the bag, showed you your order and then bagged it back up while in front of you. If they did that and were cordial, I'd probably go ~3 dollars.

No different then someone at McDonald's.

Tipping is something I'm very opinionated on. Good topic.

It depends....

Was it a she?

And if so, was she hot?

:lol its funny how that plays a part. we've all been there.

she was an average looking asian woman in her early 40's

no tip then.

i went to a restaurant in NYC called The Cottage....and the Asian waitress had hairy armpits. Then the kicker was I found a curly pube in my food...I was like this place is way to authentic for me and left no tip no nothing. :barf :lol

I do not tip for takeout. I figure if I opted to pickup the order myself and not use the delivery service, they should tip me :lol

On the real though I never tip takeout, only delivery. Like Fox said it really is no different then walking into McDonalds and ordering a Big Mac.

$2

I tip on takeout orders regularly. It's money well spent.

I give the girl at my pizza joint a buck, but my pizza is always exactly as I like it. Well-done, crisp, but not DOA.

I give the guy at the deli a buck. I get back a sandwich that's enough to feed an African family for a week.

If you had to give the takeout girl the money I would have given her exact bills and told her to keep the change. After all it is her job to bring it out the food its not like shes going to extraordinary measures for you.

Guest marlins02

I don't usually tip for Chinese takeout.

But that's different from your Applebee's Carside to go, you are supposed to tip those kids.

ive never used the drive thru at places like applebees or tgi's

how come youre suppose to tip them but not when picking up take out?

Guest Night Phantom

If you get down in the restaurant and pick up the food yourself, where does the tip come in? Maybe take Bill Simmons' advice and tip the chef since sushi is raw fish, but other than that no. Not if I'm doing all the work. You already paid for the food.

If you get down in the restaurant and pick up the food yourself, where does the tip come in? Maybe take Bill Simmons' advice and tip the chef since sushi is raw fish, but other than that no. Not if I'm doing all the work. You already paid for the food.

Exactly. Its rather ridiculos to tip someone when you are picking up the food. Why would you tip someone for handing food to you across the counter?

Should we be tipping people working in toll booths because they are reaching over and handing us our change.

I don't usually tip for Chinese takeout.

But that's different from your Applebee's Carside to go, you are supposed to tip those kids.

ive never used the drive thru at places like applebees or tgi's

how come youre suppose to tip them but not when picking up take out?

Because they are making as much as servers do, which is usually $2 an hour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.