Marlins reacquire Benitez; send off Messenger to S.F.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...la-sports-front

/

/

Marlins back in on Benitez

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Sun-Sentinel

Posted May 31 2007, 8:03 PM EDT

MILWAUKEE -- The Giants are more desperate than ever to jettison Armando Benitez and the Marlins are willing to provide a landing spot.

According to an industry source, the Marlins have re-engaged in discussions to bring the closer back to South Florida. Benitez has a 4.67 ERA in 19 games (17 1/3 innings) with nine saves in 11 opportunities.

LocalLinks

He is coming off a backbreaker appearance Tuesday at Shea Stadium, where the he balked twice, including once with the tying run on third, and gave up a walk-off homer to Carlos Delgado.

For a deal to work for the Marlins, the Giants would have to absorb all but a fraction of the $5.07 million remaining on Benitez salary. He is a free agent after the season.

The Marlins spoke to the Giants about reacquiring Benitez as recently as spring training, but the two teams could not settle on the player involved. Instead, the Marlins moved on Jorge Julio and installed him as their closer.

Julio blew up, was dealt to the Rockies for Byung-Hyun Kim, and the Marlins are now closing with Kevin Gregg.

Benitez arguably had the best season ever by a Marlins reliever in 2004. He converted 47 of 51 save chances with a 1.29 ERA and held opposing hitters to a .152 average.

Benitez parlayed that performance into a three-year, $21.5 million deal with the Giants. He's struggled in San Francisco with injuries and drew the ire of Giants fans with his inconsistency.

if the price is right i am for bringing Benitez back

Official.

(05-31) 18:10 PDT New York -- Armando Benitez's days as a Giant are over.

The Giants have all but completed a deal that will ship the embattled closer to the Florida Marlins, The Chronicle has learned. It could be announced tonight, after the Giants complete their game against the New York Mets. The Marlins are playing in Milwaukee.

You can never have enough capable arms at the back of the bullpen. If it costs us a low level prospect, I love to bring back Benitez. The worst that happens is he can be traded again at the trade deadline.

it'll cost us more than that, especially if we want to take on a minimal part of that salary.

Official.

The Giants have all but completed a deal that will ship the embattled closer to the Florida Marlins, The Chronicle has learned. It could be announced tonight, after the Giants complete their game against the New York Mets. The Marlins are playing in Milwaukee.

linky

Official.

YES! I wonder what we gave up?

I can break out my benitez jersey shirt I have.

KFFL Reporting now too:

Giants | Team trades Benitez to Marlins

Thu, 31 May 2007 18:28:55 -0700

Henry Schulman, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the San Francisco Giants have traded CL Armando Benitez to the Florida Marlins. The deal could be announced following the Giants' game against the New York Mets Thursday, May 31. It is unclear what the Giants will receive in return, but it is believed to be a major league player.

I'd bring him in as a reliever and fulfill my dream of getting rid of Messenger. That being

said, I hope they weren't stupid enough to trade Anibal.

It can't be Sanchez. The Marlins wouldn't give him up for Baldelli in the offseason, I seriously doubt they'd give him up for Benitez. I'm crossing my fingers that it's Mess.

Watch Benitez be named closer too

I think it's almost a certainity he's given the role right away after what we saw from the front office with Julio, which is rather unfair to Gregg. However, if Benitez does work out, we've got quite a stacked bullpen.

Although his era is nothing special, he is 9 for 11 in saves.