Marlins reacquire Benitez; send off Messenger to S.F.

Holy crap this is an awesome trade.

How many guns can one team have in the bullpen?

Benitez

Gregg

Owens

Lindstrom

Pinto

Miller

Tank

Gardner

:o

I could give a crap about Messenger being much younger. Bullpen arms are volatile. You can't say X pitcher will be effective 2-3 years down the road. It's more the playing of the hot hand and trusting your scouting department when it comes to building a bullpen, and on most teams building a bullpen is a yearly thing.

With Carlos Martinez and Logan Kensing on the way. Wow.

How many guns can one team have in the bullpen?

Benitez

Gregg

Owens

Lindstrom

Pinto

Miller

Tank

Gardner

:o

I could give a crap about Messenger being much younger. Bullpen arms are volatile. You can't say X pitcher will be effective 2-3 years down the road. It's more the playing of the hot hand and trusting your scouting department when it comes to building a bullpen, and on most teams building a bullpen is a yearly thing.

Dont forget we have 3 injured starters, maybe Nolasco could join the bull pen as well.

wtf?

This trade makes no sense. They're whips are similar, and Messenger has an ERA 2 runs lower. Benitez is only going to get worse, while Messenger has a young talented arm.

This trade makes no sense.

Messenger throws straight fastball very much.

And Benitez gives up runs very much.

Benitez has had 1 bad outings in a row. Before that, he was pretty freaking good. Even so, Messengers BAA is over .300. He is playing with house money right now, but his luck is going to run out and that ERA is gonna soar

wtf?

This trade makes no sense. They're whips are similar, and Messenger has an ERA 2 runs lower. Benitez is only going to get worse, while Messenger has a young talented arm.

Benitez has had 1 bad outings in a row. Before that, he was pretty freaking good. Even so, Messengers BAA is over .300. He is playing with house money right now, but his luck is going to run out and that ERA is gonna soar

They have nearly the exact same WHIP. So when his ERA soars, he'll be up there with Benitez.

True, which is why you never trade (Kearns and Lopez) for bullpen pitchers. However, what about Benitez says hot hand?

Guest FlummoxedLummox

That's why this trade makes even less sense. When the time comes that our young guys are back and pitching well, while Benitez is pitching poorly, who will the FO take away from the overcrowded bullpen? Not Benitez. They stubbornly stick with these over-the-hill retreads because somewhere along the way they got it into their heads that closers must be experienced.

Guest Festa

wtf?

They have nearly the exact same WHIP. So when his ERA soars, he'll be up there with Benitez.

True, which is why you never trade (Kearns and Lopez) for bullpen pitchers. However, what about Benitez says hot hand?

Benitez has wanted out of SF since ST, even before that. It's the whole change of scenary thing. Plus, we didn't give up anything. Messenger over the course of his career has been consistently bad. His fastball is hard, but it's flat. His curveball is ok, but he falls in love with throwing it and throws it more than he should.

I guess Beinfest thought the already stocked Marlins bullpen couldn't last all year. Hopefully we'll get something close to the Benitez we last saw here. Not sure about messing with the psyche of the bullpen, where a lot of how they perform is mental. And it's another 1 inning guy. Messenger had been mediocre to bad in previous times, but he looked much improved this year IMO. Still, you have to go with Benitez over Messenger. It all depends on the Benitez that shows up. .

Or, maybe there's going to be a part 2 to this deal. We do have a super stocked bullpen, and needs in other areas.

I have to think the Marlins wouldn't have bothered to make this trade if they didn't believe they could compete in the wildcard hunt, and as such will be the first (or second if you count Kim) in a series of moves to make the team more competitive.

It will be interesting to see if Martinez and Kensing are back before the end of July trade deadline and what this team looks like going into August.

wtf?

Messenger really hasnt done much. The .300 baa will catch up to him. The previous two seasons his era has been mid 5's.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I have a feeling that this will be another "he's our guy" scenario. The front office will stick with Benitez in key situations even when we have better options to go to.

Well I was more in favor of dealing for Benitez before the season instead of Julio. But now we still get him and wind up paying almost no salary, and only giving up Messenger who is in the bottom tier of our bullpen.

I don't think he's the '04 Armando, but at his best Benitez can still be pretty darn good. Messenger is not an integral part of the bullpen. Kensing easily replaces him, not to mention Marintez if he comes back strong.

Works for me. I hope they don't anoint him as closer however. Gregg's doing fine. I like Swift's idea, let's use his as the "Urbina" for a while, see how it goes.

I have to think the Marlins wouldn't have bothered to make this trade if they didn't believe they could compete in the wildcard hunt, and as such will be the first (or second if you count Kim) in a series of moves to make the team more competitive.

It will be interesting to see if Martinez and Kensing are back before the end of July trade deadline and what this team looks like going into August.

I was thinking that as well.

In response to others I also don't think there's any doubt how Benitez will be used.

He's the closer.

This is a great deal Benitez is way better then Messenger. We dont have to pay him anything. There is a reason why Messenger had not pitch in a while. They dont trust him. The only reason he was in yesterday was because we had used everyone in the last couple of days and he was the only arm well rested. Benitez will do great again. He loves playing here in Miami. Messenger is horrible. The only reason is era is low is b/c he pitch in a lot of meaningless innings. Looked at the avg that batters have against him.

I would not use Benitez as the closer yet. Let Gregg close, he has been doing a great job. Let Armando set up for now. now we can slide Owens/ Lindstrom in the 7th. tank and pinto can pitch against lefties or have the 6th if are starters dont only go 5. Also tatto boy has been doing a good job.

Now lets get healthy and get a CF and we are in business

Guys is this even official?

Well I was more in favor of dealing for Benitez before the season instead of Julio. But now we still get him and wind up paying almost no salary, and only giving up Messenger who is in the bottom tier of our bullpen.

I don't think he's the '05 Armando, but at his best Benitez can still be pretty darn good. Messenger is not an integral part of the bullpen. Kensing easily replaces him, not to mention Marintez if he comes back strong.

Works for me. I hope they don't anoint him as closer however. Gregg's doing fine. I like Swift's idea, let's use his as the "Urbina" for a while, see how it goes.

OH SO WAS I, TRUST ME, or read back on posts

Guys is this even official?

I don't think he's the '05 Armando, but at his best Benitez can still be pretty darn good. Messenger is not an integral part of the bullpen. Kensing easily replaces him, not to mention Marintez if he comes back strong.

OH SO WAS I, TRUST ME, or read back on posts

It's a done deal.

Like death and taxes.