Marlins reacquire Benitez; send off Messenger to S.F.

Watch Benitez be named closer too

I think it's almost a certainity he's given the role right away after what we saw from the front office with Julio, which is rather unfair to Gregg. However, if Benitez does work out, we've got quite a stacked bullpen.

Although his era is nothing special, he is 9 for 11 in saves.

He'll do fine in the role, I just don't think he's our best option at closer. If the player traded is Messenger, we're really just swapping one bullpen arm for a better bullpen arm, so it's a nice little trade.

I heard it was for Anibal Sanchez but it's from a friend who lives in FLA so don't take it too seriously.

you can't trade a player on the dl

You can as a PTBNL.

Honestly, Armando doesn't look like even the Marlins version of himself. Barely topping 90 and he couldn't throw a strike for his life. I hope you didn't give up a whole lot.

Well here's my issue...

why didn't we spend this money on a CF?

Seriously

The bullpen is not that pressing of a need. Julio was completely unnecessary. With Owens back.

I guess the loss of Messenger isn't that bad for the future because of Kensing, Martinez presumably back by next year. Not to mention who knows what is going on with Garcia. And Messenger wasn't getting that many opportunities which makes me think they either didn't like his stuff or there was some internal problems with him.

Anyways. I just hope this isn't "He's our guy" v 2.0

So we traded a 25 year old middle reliever for a 34 year old mediocre closer. We already had a closer. And if he faltered, another came off the DL today.

Messenger has been statistically better than Benetiz this year.

A move that really didnt need to be made IMO, them paying Benetiz's salary notwithstanding.

So we traded a 25 year old fireballer for a 34 year old mediocre closer. We already had a closer. And if he faltered, another came off the DL today.

Messenger has been statistically better than Benetiz this year as well.

A move that really didnt need to be made IMO.

"25 year old fireballer" :rolleyes:

Flatest fastball on the planet more like it.