Marlins reacquire Benitez; send off Messenger to S.F.

IrishHarrington

is Gregg still the closer ???

Benitez is worse than Julio.......

you are a fool. Julio doesnt have any saves and an era near 10.

have you seen Benitez pitching ??

many Champagne bottles opened in Frisco.......

you dont watch baseball. he saved 47 games two years ago and has only blown 2 this year. julio had an era around 100. your not watching the major leagues kid.

Guest Night Phantom

As part of the deal, the Giants will pay the remainder of Benitez's $7.6 million salary this season, according to a source with knowledge of the trade.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6872914You get to move Messenger for someone who did well here, and you're not going to pay him anything above the minimum?

Whoa! Awesome!

is Gregg still the closer ???

Benitez is worse than Julio.......

you are a fool. Julio doesnt have any saves and an era near 10.

have you seen Benitez pitching ??

many Champagne bottles opened in Frisco.......

you dont watch baseball. he saved 47 games two years ago and has only blown 2 this year. julio had an era around 100. your not watching the major leagues kid.

try again chump

Another thing to point out, of his 23 appearances this year Messenger was unscored upon in 19 of them...out of those, he had: 19.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.09 WHIP.

I guess I just fail to see the logic.

you picked out the appearances in which he didn't give up any runs to show how good he was? interesting.

Another thing to point out, of his 23 appearances this year Messenger was unscored upon in 19 of them...out of those, he had: 19.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 1.09 WHIP.

I guess I just fail to see the logic.

you picked out the appearances in which he didn't give up any runs to show how good he was? interesting.

Way to try to initiate a straw man argument.

I said he had appearances where he had been scored upon, but overall(the majority of his innings) he has been good. Messenger has more scoreless innings than Benetiz has innings pitched.

wtf?

This trade makes no sense. They're whips are similar, and Messenger has an ERA 2 runs lower. Benitez is only going to get worse, while Messenger has a young talented arm.

This trade makes no sense.

Messenger throws straight fastball very much.

wtf?

This trade makes no sense. They're whips are similar, and Messenger has an ERA 2 runs lower. Benitez is only going to get worse, while Messenger has a young talented arm.

This trade makes no sense.

Messenger throws straight fastball very much.

And Benitez gives up runs very much.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I'm totally against this move. Following two injury riddled seasons, I have no faith in Benitez at this point in his career. As for this season, why give up someone who is performing well for someone who is performing poorly?

Benitez is owed $5,066,666 from the remainder of his $7.6 million salary this year, of which Florida will pay $333,333 and San Francisco $4,733,333.

Nice. According to espn.com Messenger was making $380,000 this year. So we dumped about $50,000 in payroll (Loria can get a nice car)!

BTW you can tell someone got traded today because if you look at the top 20 posters for the day, everyone is in double digits.

Benitez is owed $5,066,666 from the remainder of his $7.6 million salary this year, of which Florida will pay $333,333 and San Francisco $4,733,333.

good. so we're basically paying him the minimum+change.

So we dumped about $50,000 in payroll (Loria can get a nice car)!

:lol

Guest Festa

Holy crap this is an awesome trade.

How many guns can one team have in the bullpen?

Benitez

Gregg

Owens

Lindstrom

Pinto

Miller

Tank

Gardner

:o

I could give a crap about Messenger being much younger. Bullpen arms are volatile. You can't say X pitcher will be effective 2-3 years down the road. It's more the playing of the hot hand and trusting your scouting department when it comes to building a bullpen, and on most teams building a bullpen is a yearly thing.