Beinfest and Chatsworth HS

marlinz_fan

This is a profile of 4th pick Bryan Petersen. He and Dominguez are both from Chatsworth HS. Is anyone worried that Beinfest, who also is a graduate of Chatsworth is overly fond of his alma mater's players at the expense of taking the best players ? Just seems very strange out of the thousands of guys in the draft 2 of his 4 picks today were from his old HS. Maybe I am trying to make something of nothing, but it sure does seem strange.

Bryan Petersen

Class: Junior

Hometown: Northridge

High School: Chatsworth

Height / Weight: 6-0 / 160

Position: OF

Bats/Throws: Left/Right

2006: Totaled seven RBI on 14 hits...13 runs scored...played in 42 games...was 3 for 5 on the base-paths...had a personal-high three-hit game against San Diego State...had a pair of two-RBI games...tabbed Co-Player of the Year of the Alaska League...played for the Anchorage Bucs...led the league with a .365 batting average...also topped the league in triples with four and was tied for third with 50 hits...10 stolen bases and 27 runs scored.

2005: Served time in the outfield and also pitched for the Anteaters...recorded two hits and five runs scored...had two RBI...pitched 16.2 innings...struck out 13...recorded five strikeouts in 2.2 innings against Pepperdine for a personal-best...longest outing was three innings against UCLA.

Chatsworth High School: Helped the team win national championship titles in 2003 and 2004...three-time All-West Valley League selection...won the Sid Witherow Award in 2003.

Personal: Son of Ray and Sandy...has a brother, Andrew and two sisters, Megan and Carleigh...majoring in criminology, law and society.

Career Stats:

YEAR ERA W-L APP GS CG SV SHO/CBO IP H R ER RR SO

2005 4.32 0-0 11 0 0 0 0/1 16.2 21 10 8 6 13

Total 4.32 0-0 11 0 0 0 0/1 16.2 21 10 8 6 13

This is a profile of 4th pick Bryan Petersen. He and Dominguez are both from Chatsworth HS. Is anyone worried that Beinfest, who also is a graduate of Chatsworth is overly fond of his alma mater's players at the expense of taking the best players ? Just seems very strange out of the thousands of guys in the draft 2 of his 4 picks today were from his old HS. Maybe I am trying to make something of nothing, but it sure does seem strange.

Quote I read had Admin saying (according to the scouts" so I'm not certain if he even saw either of these two guys play. I would think you are making something out of nothing. But it is a strange coincidence just the same.

I wasn't able to watch the draft but Admin wasn't there. No idea how many phone calls were made (and I am not naive enough to think none) but Hawk was actually the person in attendance that was in charge.

BTW The last Sunday home game we had traded our tix in for the 200 level as usual and as I was walking back to our section during the game I saw Hawk sitting on a window sill looking through his cell phone. Everyone either didn't notice him or had no idea who he was. I walked over, shook hands, and wished him luck in the draft.

Someone (newspaper reporter, online guy like Mayo, etc. - don't remember who) referred to the school as a "baseball factory" which very well may be the case considering the number of kids from this year's squad being drafted in the early rounds.

It may just be that if you are of a certain talent level entering HS this is THE ONE you go to, for development purposes and to be seen.

Guest CrimsonCane

I agree that it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Other people had big roles in the decision making process and Beinfest has always come across to me as a guy who remains pretty emotionless (a good thing) when making decisions for this ball club. The fact that the school won two national championships while Petersen was there and had 2 players go in the first round of today's draft tells me the school is likely one of these factory-type schools that brings in a lot of talented kids from a talent-rich Southern California.

If it's any further consolation, most of the mock drafts I saw had Dominguez going before our pick, so it's not like the Marlins made a reach on someone none of the other organizations had on their radar.

Thanks guys I didn't know if it should be a red-flag or not. I couldn't believe Admin would not do his homework and just pick based on some feeling of loyalty.

I also thought it strange that the 1st 4 picks were from California. Could that be an indication they might think a move to Las Vegas or Sacremento might be in the future ? Kids from Cali usually don't enjoy Florida, especially our humid & hot weather.

What surprises me more than anything is the hotbed of baseball talent Canada has become in recent years.

There are 129 Canadians playing NCAA Div 1 baseball, 85 at the Div 2 level, 8 in Div 3, 4 in Div 3, 162 playing NAIA ball, and 196 playing US JUCO ball. And this is incomplete data.

There are 20 active Canadian MLB players give or take.

28 Canadian players have been taken in this years draft.

Having a baseball upswing up north.

Thanks guys I didn't know if it should be a red-flag or not. I couldn't believe Admin would not do his homework and just pick based on some feeling of loyalty.

I also thought it strange that the 1st 4 picks were from California. Could that be an indication they might think a move to Las Vegas or Sacremento might be in the future ? Kids from Cali usually don't enjoy Florida, especially our humid & hot weather.

I think it is a sign we liked the players on the board and took them.

Are you serious? I hope you're joking or else you should be banned from this site.

Okay. Enough already. You are making a habit of reading into things waaayyyyy too much.

Okay. Enough already. You are making a habit of reading into things waaayyyyy too much.

I guess, but so many Cali players in a our draft is strange.....must be a coincidence.

I guess, but so many Cali players in a our draft is strange.....must be a coincidence.

LOL (Laughing WITH you) Okay. Seems like not that long ago we were snapping up guys from Texas, Oklahoma, etc... That area. It's just it's a hot bed for baseball talent. Just like Florida. It's just the way things work out. And not all will sign anyways. Some will go onto or continue with college.

I have no idea how the Marlins look at guys but I would be looking towards college guys a little harder than I would HS grads. They are a little more polished and seem quicker to the major league level. Not that I wouldn't draft HS players. It's just what talent is on the board come your pick.

It's not really that strange.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.