June 13, 200719 yr 1 12 Matt Dominguez 3b Chatsworth (Calif.) HS CA 2 76 Mike Stanton 1b/of Notre Dame HS, Sherman Oaks, Calif. CA 3 106 Jameson Smith c Fresno (Calif.) CC CA 4 136 Bryan Peterson of UC Irvine CA 5 166 Steven Cishek rhp Carson-Newman (Tenn.) TN 6 196 Taiwan Easterling of Oak Grove HS, Hattiesburg, Miss. MS 7 226 Andrew Paulauskas rhp Tremper HS, Kenosha, Wis. WI 8 256 Jay Voss lhp Kaskaskia (Ill.) JC IL 9 286 Marcus Crockett of Compton (Calif.) CC CA 10 316 Brandon Barrow lhp Zachary (La.) HS LA 11 346 Brett Durand rhp Delta State (Miss.) MS 12 376 Garrett Parcell rhp San Diego State CA 13 406 Chris Shafer rhp Cajon (Calif.) HS CA 14 436 Lucas Waters 3b Eastern Kentucky KY 15 466 Ryan Anetsberger 3b Illinois State IL 16 496 Adam Campbell rhp New Orleans LA 17 526 Mike Pasek ss Apple Valley (Calif.) HS CA 18 556 Chris Ingoglia lhp Stetson FL 19 586 Charley Williams of Itawamba (Miss.) CC MS 20 616 Marc Lewis lhp Creighton NE 21 646 Ryan Curry 2b Bradley IL 22 676 Chaz Gilliam rhp Cyril (Okla.) HS OK 23 706 Daniel Prieto lhp Long Beach (Calif.) CC CA 24 736 Kevin Hammons lhp Tusculum (Tenn.) TN 25 766 Kyle Kaminska rhp Naperville (Ill.) Central HS IL 26 796 Bryan Hagerich of Delaware DE 27 826 Ray White ss Compton (Calif.) CC CA 28 856 Virgil Hill ss Valencia (Calif.) HS CA 29 886 Ben Lasater 3b Charleston SC 30 916 A.J. Battisto rhp Georgia Southern GA 31 946 Justin Harper rhp Yavapai (Ariz.) JC AZ 32 975 Josh Thompson c Mercer GA 33 1004 Derek Blacksher rhp McNeese State LA 34 1033 Stephen Flake rhp Southern Poly State (Ga.) GA 35 1062 Josh Roberts rhp Portland OR 36 1091 Matt Mallory rhp Science and Arts of Oklahoma OK 37 1119 Kellen St. Luce lhp All Saints Cathedral HS, St. Thomas, V.I. VI 38 1147 Tyler Waldron rhp Golden Sierra HS, Garden Valley, Calif. CA 39 1175 Ricky Rossman of Claremont (Calif.) HS CA 40 1203 Mike McCravey lhp JC of the Canyons (Calif.) CA 41 1229 Skyler Crawford rhp Hartnell (Calif.) JC CA 42 1255 Jim Lawler c Arkansas-Little Rock AR 43 1281 Stephen Kohlscheen rhp Norman (Okla.) North HS OK 44 1307 Ernie Banks 1b Norfolk State VA 45 1333 Kevin Stanley c Las Lomas HS, Walnut Creek, Calif. CA 46 1357 John Hellweg rhp St. Dominic HS, O'Fallon, Mo. MO 47 1380 Mitch Rider C North Gwinnett HS, Suwanee, Ga. GA 48 1401 Jacob Elmore 2b Wallace State (Ala.) CC AL 49 1422 Kyle Rose of Lee HS, Huntsville, Ala. AL 50 1443 Rafael Carlot 3b Southeastern (N.C.) CC NC Please post all news, opinions, and info in regards to our 2007 draft class here please.
June 13, 200719 yr Author http://www.dailyherald.com/news/dupagestor...mp;t=naperville The price isn?t always right By Orrin Schwarz oschwarz@dailyherald.com Posted Saturday, June 09, 2007 After days of negotiating with numerous major-league baseball teams, Naperville Central senior Kyle Kaminska figured if he wasn?t picked by the 15th round he probably shouldn?t sign. Kaminska lasted until the 25th round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft on Friday, when he was picked by the Florida Marlins, who had picked 2004 Glenbard West graduate Ryan Anetsberger in that 15th round. Anetsberger just completed his junior season at Illinois State University. So instead of celebrating his selection and preparing to begin his career, Kaminska was headed to see ?Ocean?s 13? with friends. The Marlins also picked Benet alumnus Mark Lewis out of Creighton University in the 20th round, then took Downers Grove South?s Ryan Curry, of Bradley University, in the 21st. ?I talked to the scout that drafted me for a little bit, but I haven?t come to any agreement,? Anetsberger said. ?I haven?t signed yet. ?We?ll see if we can negotiate.? The negotiating is over for Kaminska, who instead will honor his letter of intent to play at Michigan State. ?It?s too low of a pick,? Kaminska said. ?You need a higher pick to get a better (playing) opportunity than somebody else.? It had been a long day of monitoring the draft for Kaminska, who had hoped one team would meet his asking price to sign. ?It felt like a roller-coaster ride,? Kaminska said. ?We?ve been sitting around waiting for a call.? No team agreed to his price, which Kaminska declined to mention. ?It?s a strange process,? added Kaminska?s father, Kris of the predraft negotiations. ?It just didn?t pan out. It?s kind of a letdown.? Anetsberger is hoping the Marlins meet his price, which he also is keeping under wraps. If not he?s got another year of eligibility at Illinois State. ?I?m pretty excited. It?s one of my goals,? he said. ?If they give me a fair deal I would love to sign and start playing professional baseball.? Anetsberger said if he signs he likely will be assigned to play in short-season Class A at Jamestown, N.Y. Curry and Lewis, whom Anetsberger knows as Missouri Valley Conference rivals, could be his teammates there. Lake Park graduate Ken Burdi, who played last season for Kishwaukee Community College, went to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 49th round. http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervi...RAFT_S1.article Marlins hook 2 local products Lewis headed to Class A affiliate; Kaminska undecided June 10, 2007 By BRAD ENGEL Staff Writer The Florida Marlins courted Creighton senior Marc Lewis and Naperville Central senior Kyle Kaminska in different ways before drafting them on the second day of the MLB draft Friday. The 2003 World Series champions scouted Kaminska more than any other team this season, and Lewis, a Benet graduate and Plainfield native, did nothing more than simply fill out Marlins paperwork. Kaminska got taken in the 25th round and 766th overall, after Lewis in the 20th round (616th overall). Lewis "Yeah, that was a surprise, but I didn't really pay attention to what (round) they said because last year I had indications from three or four teams that I was going to be taken between the 10th and 14th," Lewis said. "So I really wasn't caught up in that this year." While Lewis was leaving Omaha, Neb., to avoid getting caught up in watching the draft on the Internet and television, Kaminska did the opposite. "I was following along on the Internet," Kaminska said. "I would go back and forth - I was watching TV all day. I thought (I would get drafted) like probably top 10 to 15 (rounds), but it didn't happen obviously." This was Kaminska's first time getting drafted. The right-handed pitcher finished the season with a 7-4 record and a 2.16 ERA, striking out 91 batters in 772�3 innings. Last year Lewis got drafted by Milwaukee in the 26th round after going 7-0 with a 2.81 ERA in 64 innings pitched as a junior with Creighton. The left-handed pitcher chose to return to the Bluejays instead of signing with the Brewers and finished 8-3 with a 3.96 ERA in 882�3 innings. Lewis said the luster of getting drafted the second time around had not worn off. "It's fantastic. I can't really explain it," Lewis said. "I kind of got to the point now where I left Omaha (on Friday) just to get away from everything, because I didn't want to sit at a computer all day long, waiting for it. It was a nice surprise, that's for sure." Lewis said he will report to the Marlins' short-season Class A ballclub in Jamestown, N.Y., in about a week. Kaminska said he's still deciding whether he should sign with the Marlins or play for Michigan State next year. "It'll have to come down to money, pretty much," he said Saturday. "That's the only way I would sign (right) now." I really hope we sign Kyle Kaminska who BA ranks as the 13 best prospect in Illinois. Though by the looks of it don't bet on it
June 13, 200719 yr I do know 8th rounder LHP Jay Voss will probably sign instead of going to the Southern Illinois University. Kind of torn on the subject because Voss was a good pitcher at KC(67 ks in 69.2 IP, 1.55 ERA), so he is a good prospect for the Fish but my Dawgs could use the help. Anyway, I am going to see if I can get in touch with Scott Engler(the Marlins area scout around these parts).
June 13, 200719 yr Author I do know 8th rounder LHP Jay Voss will probably sign instead of going to the Southern Illinois University. Kind of torn on the subject because Voss was a good pitcher at KC(67 ks in 69.2 IP, 1.55 ERA), so he is a good prospect for the Fish but my Dawgs could use the help. Anyway, I am going to see if I can get in touch with Scott Engler(the Marlins area scout around these parts). Kool ask him about Kaminska also if you get the chance.... Here is some info on Voss http://www.bnd.com/220/story/54210.html Players rely on Internet to get word about draft Metro-east players picked in Friday rounds BY NORM SANDERS News-Democrat Even before the Florida Marlins could call him on Friday, former Mater Dei High and Kaskaskia College pitcher Jay Voss found out he had been drafted on the Internet. Voss was selected by the Marlins in the eighth round of the major-league draft, the first metro-east player taken. The same mouse-click scenario played out with former Edwardsville High star Evan Frey and former Althoff and Eastern Illinois University star Erik Huber. Frey, a junior center fielder at the University of Missouri, went to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the 10th round (313th overall). Huber, an Althoff High graduate from Belleville, was taken in the 12th round (368th overall) by the Pittsburgh Pirates. "I'd actually just sat down at my computer to watch it, and two picks later, the Marlins were up," said Voss, who impressed the Marlins during a recent workout in Marietta, Ga. "I'd just had lunch with the Marlins guy the other day, and I told my dad maybe they'd pick me." The class of 2005 at Mater Dei now has two baseball draft picks, with Voss joining nearby Breese neighbor Josh Thole. Thole was drafted by the New York Mets following his senior year of high school and is a first baseman at Class A Savannah in the South Atlantic League. "Right after the Marlins guy called, Josh was the first guy to call me," Voss said. "That was pretty cool." Voss, who has signed with Southern Illinois University Carbondale but may be ready for pro ball, was the 256th overall pick in the draft. "I'm eager to reach a deal, and it shouldn't be too hard," he said. "It turned out better than I was expecting it to and better than some people were projecting it to happen." Voss (6-foot-4, 190 pounds) throws between 88 and 92 mph and was 11-9 in two seasons at Kaskaskia. He was 6-5 this spring with a 1.55 ERA and 67 strikeouts in 69 2/3 innings. "It's been a long road," Voss said. "The last two years have just been great for me and I've come a long way skillwise and mentally. I can't thank the coaches at K.C. enough for all that they've done and how they helped me mature." The 6-foot-5 Huber led EIU with a .409 batting average with 14 doubles, nine homers, 42 RBIs and 41 runs scored. Huber was watching a college baseball game Friday on ESPN when his mother saw his name come up on the computer. "It was kind of getting to the point of uneasiness, but luckily, something happened," Huber said. A first-team Academic All-American and All-Ohio Valley Conference pick, Huber may be headed to the Class A State College Spikes of the Class A New York-Penn League. Huber, the fourth pick of the 12th round, seemed pleased to be drafted so high. "The scout called me yesterday to wish me good luck, but didn't really indicate where or what to expect," Huber said. "Once I saw my name on the computer, all the nerves went away and I was able to relax finally. Being a senior and having no leverage at all, you just have to sit there and hope for the best." Frey hit .348 in 57 games for Mizzou with 11 doubles, five triples, four homers, 35 RBIs, 65 runs and 10 stolen bases. "I was sitting at the computer and it was early, so I was kind of dozing," Frey said. "I heard my name pop up there, and about 30 seconds later, the Diamondbacks guy called. I was getting nervous there, but they finally picked me, and I'm real excited about it. "I knew it was going to be them. The scout really liked me all year and we had been talking a lot, so I kind of had a feeling it was going to be the Diamondbacks." Frey still has year of college left, but he's eager to begin his pro career. He said playing three years of ball in the baseball-rich Big 12 Conference definitely made a difference. "I definitely think going to school really helped me out a whole lot," he said. "I got stronger and more baseball-savvy. I'd say it was the mental aspect, too, thinking the game better and getting stronger."
June 13, 200719 yr Author Here is some info on another Draftee of ours Kellen St. Luce Can't copy and paste so you'll have to read it here http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/inde...rts?id=17610271 Baseball Adds Kellen St. Luce St. Luce is seventh signee for the 2007-2008 season. May 15, 2007 NASHVILLE, Tenn. --Kellen St. Luce, a left-handed pitcher from the Virgin Islands, is the newest addition to the 2007-2008 recruiting class after signing with Vanderbilt in the spring period. The 6-4, 215 pound St. Luce attends All Saints Cathedral High School in St. Thomas of the US Virgin Islands. He is ranked the No. 311 prospect in the nation by Perfect Game Crosschecker with the following scouting report: "He has a big, strong body that resembles Dontrelle Willis of the Florida Marlins. St. Luce pitched very well this past October in Jupiter, Fla., at the Perfect Game WWBA Championships showing three quality pitches. His fastball was up to 89 mph with some tailing life. He also threw a big breaking 72-74 mph curveball and had a solid 78-80 mph change up. Overall, St. Luce has good tools and the potential to get much better." The Vanderbilt coaching staff expects him to come to Vanderbilt and compete for time on the mound next season. "Kellen is a big strong throwing left handed pitcher who has progressed a great deal over the last year," said Commodore head coach Tim Corbin. "He will have an impact on our pitching staff early in his career." St. Luce is the seventh member of the 2007-08 recruiting class. He joins fall additions: catcher Curt Casali, first baseman Aaron Westlake, outfielder Joey Manning and pitchers Sean Bierman, Taylor Hill and Chase Reid. Man I have a feeling that if we don't sign Kellen St. Luce (which likely we won't) we will one day end up regretting it. With no more Draft and Follow I will be dissapointed if we don't atleast offer St. Luce about 250k - 400k to sign a Pro deal. For that much me think's he definitely turns pro.
June 13, 200719 yr Here is some info on another Draftee of ours Kellen St. Luce Can't copy and paste so you'll have to read it here http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/inde...rts?id=17610271 Baseball Adds Kellen St. Luce St. Luce is seventh signee for the 2007-2008 season. May 15, 2007 NASHVILLE, Tenn. --Kellen St. Luce, a left-handed pitcher from the Virgin Islands, is the newest addition to the 2007-2008 recruiting class after signing with Vanderbilt in the spring period. The 6-4, 215 pound St. Luce attends All Saints Cathedral High School in St. Thomas of the US Virgin Islands. He is ranked the No. 311 prospect in the nation by Perfect Game Crosschecker with the following scouting report: "He has a big, strong body that resembles Dontrelle Willis of the Florida Marlins. St. Luce pitched very well this past October in Jupiter, Fla., at the Perfect Game WWBA Championships showing three quality pitches. His fastball was up to 89 mph with some tailing life. He also threw a big breaking 72-74 mph curveball and had a solid 78-80 mph change up. Overall, St. Luce has good tools and the potential to get much better." The Vanderbilt coaching staff expects him to come to Vanderbilt and compete for time on the mound next season. "Kellen is a big strong throwing left handed pitcher who has progressed a great deal over the last year," said Commodore head coach Tim Corbin. "He will have an impact on our pitching staff early in his career." St. Luce is the seventh member of the 2007-08 recruiting class. He joins fall additions: catcher Curt Casali, first baseman Aaron Westlake, outfielder Joey Manning and pitchers Sean Bierman, Taylor Hill and Chase Reid. Man I have a feeling that if we don't sign Kellen St. Luce (which likely we won't) we will one day end up regretting it. With no more Draft and Follow I will be dissapointed if we don't atleast offer St. Luce about 250k - 400k to sign a Pro deal. For that much me think's he definitely turns pro. St. Luce sounds like a nice sound prospect. Guys with schollies to Vanderbilt are always pretty tough signs though. Considering we took him in the 37th round, I'd give us less than a 10% chance of signing him.
June 13, 200719 yr Author Here is Matt Mallory http://www.gjsentinel.com/sports/content/s...=7&cxcat=12 Marlins reel in Mallory Click-2-Listen By JOE SPENCER The Daily Sentinel Saturday, June 09, 2007 Too anxious to eat or move away from his computer, Matt Mallory sat in his parents? home on Orchard Mesa and agonized with each name that popped up on MLB.com?s draft tracker. Relief finally came for the Central High School graduate at approximately 3:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon. ?I saw my name come up in the 36th round with the Florida Marlins and I jumped right out of my chair and told all my family,? Mallory said. ?My phone has been ringing off the hook for like the last 30, 45 minutes. I told my dad he wasted money on the Subway sandwich he bought because I couldn?t eat today. I might finally be able to eat it now.? Florida selected Mallory with the 1,091st pick overall, the 12th pick in the 36th round of Major League Baseball?s 50-round amateur draft. He was the 20th pitcher chosen by Florida in the first 36 rounds. The Marlins have yet to tell Mallory where he will be assigned. They have both a rookie ball team (Gulf Coast Marlins) and a Class A team (Jupiter Hammerheads) in Jupiter, Fla. They have two other Class A teams ? the Jamestown Jammers (Jamestown, N.Y.) and Greensboro Grasshoppers (Greensboro, N.C.). They also have affiliations with the Class AA Carolina Mudcats (Zebulon, N.C.) and Class AAA Albuquerque Isotopes (Albuquerque, N.M.). ?I?m feeling pretty good right about now,? Mallory said. ?I am excited to find out where I am headed and get this whole thing started. It?s hit me. I am going to be a major leaguer.? In the excitement of being chosen, Mallory went to the Mesa Mall to find a Florida Marlins hat. He searched the selection at The Sports Authority, Lids and Sportsfan and none of the stores had a Florida hat that fit the 6-foot-3, 220-pound right-hander. ?I finally found one at Gene Taylor?s,? he said. ?I went all over the place. Unbelievable. You wouldn?t think it would be that hard to find a Florida Marlins hat. Thank goodness Gene Taylor?s had one.? This was a much different day than the first time Mallory was drafted. One year removed from Central?s 10-0 victory over Cherry Creek in the 2002 Class 5A state final, Mallory was shocked when he was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 42nd round of the 2003 draft. ?I had received a few letters from the Marlins, the Yankees and the Royals, but I never figured I was going to get drafted,? said Mallory, whose body hadn?t yet matured at that point. He stood just over 6-feet tall and weighed about 165 pounds coming out of high school. ?I didn?t feel like I was ready for pro ball,? Mallory said. This time around, it was a much different story. Four years of weight training has pumped up the velocity on Mallory?s fastball to between 93 to 95 mph. After a record-setting season at NAIA University of Science and Arts (Okla.), Mallory was one of a handful of players invited by the Baltimore Orioles to a select tryout camp in May at Duncanville, Texas. ?That workout couldn?t have gone any better,? Mallory said. ?I was hitting 93, 94 (mph) on the gun and spotting my fastball. My split-finger was in the high 80s (mph) and dropping. My curve was breaking. ?The Orioles pretty much let me know somebody was going to take me after that. If not them, somebody else. I figured it would be the Orioles.? Florida was always one of the other possibilities, though. The Marlins thought enough of Mallory to make a special visit this spring to take a look at him at his school in Chickasha, Okla. ?I have just worked so hard over the past four years to get back to being drafted again,? he said. ?I sat and waited all day to see my name on the computer. It was tough because they said I could go anywhere from (rounds) 18 or 19 to the middle 30s.? Mallory said it felt like ?the perfect way? to celebrate an incredible senior season with the Drovers. He set the school record for single-game strikeouts twice ? 13 against Wayland Baptist (Texas) University on April 1 and 14 three weeks later against St. Gregory?s (Okla.) University ? and helped them to their first appearance in the Sooner Athletic Conference postseason tournament in the school?s seven-year affiliation with the league. Mallory went 6-4 with a 3.44 ERA in 702�3 innings, striking out 70 and walking 24. His family is planning another fitting celebration today. ?We are going to have a barbecue and I already know there is going to be tons of people over,? Mallory said. ?It?s going to be fun to share this with my friends and my family.? Matt Mallory DRAFTED: 1,091st pick overall, round 36 on Friday by the Florida Marlins.
June 13, 200719 yr Good stuff. Anyone have anything on Jameson Smith,Bryan Peterson or Andrew Paulauskas?
June 13, 200719 yr A few more items on the draft 6/10/07 Fishing from my stream of consciousness, draft style: The basics: Andrew Paulauskas and Jeff Livek were the 28th and 29th players with Kenosha County ties selected in the annual Major League Player Draft, which concluded Friday. Paulauskas, a right-handed pitcher out of Tremper, was chosen in the seventh round by the Florida Marlins while Livek, a right-handed pitcher out of Carthage, was chosen by the New York Yankees in the 28th round. Friday marked the 33rd and 34th time a player with a county connection had gone in the draft since its inception in 1965. Central's Tom Underhill and Daryl Maday, Bradford's Augie Schmidt, Carthage's Paul Miller and Shoreland's Scott Roehl were all drafted twice. He's No. 7: The Marlins used the highest pick on a Kenosha high school senior when they plucked Paulauskas in the seventh round. Prior to Paulauskas, the earliest a county high schooler went was in 1979 when the Cincinnati Reds chose Schmidt in the ninth round. Schmidt opted to attend the University of New Orleans and was selected in the first round by the Toronto Blue Jays in 1982. Paulauskas was the earliest county pick since the Twins used their first choice in the now-defunct January draft on St. Joseph's Jarvis Brown in 1986. Paulauskas was the 226th overall selection in the draft. In county history, only Brown (ninth overall in 1986), Wilmot and Parkside's Kurt Kunz (200th overall - eighth round - by Kansas City in 1984), Schmidt (second overall in 1982) and Underhill (63rd overall in January of 1977) went sooner than Paulauskas in a draft. Trojan pride: Paulauskas was only the second Tremper product taken in the draft. The Minnesota Twins made pitcher Bill Letsom the first Tremper player drafted when they took him in the 26th round in 1970. Speaking of schools: Livek was the 10th player selected out of Carthage College - which is, by far, the most of any county school. Of those 10 players, all but three - Keith Sonnichen (the first player with county ties drafted in 1969), Dave Marino (1975) and Paul Miller (1986 and 1987) - played for Schmidt. Central, Parkside and St. Joseph have all had four players drafted while Wilmot has three, Tremper two and Shoreland one. Two drafted county players - Ryan Gehring and Jeremy Wilson - attended school outside of the area. Speaking of teams: Friday, the Marlins and Yankees both drafted county players for the second time. This was the second consecutive year the Marlins hooked a county product. Last year, Florida chose Wilmot graduate Kyle Barry, a pitcher, in the 41st round out of Madison Area Technical College. The Yankees last visited the county when they chose outfielder Bobby Zeihen, a Central product, out of Indiana State in the 23rd round. David Marran is sports editor of the Kenosha News. Contact him at dmarran@kenoshanews.com.
June 15, 200719 yr Author Charley Williams..... http://wcbi.com/sports/index.php?hash=62a0...=553&page=3 ICC's Williams Debating On Turning Pro [11. Jun. 2007 - 15:36] FULTON, MS-- ICC outfielder, Charley Williams, was picked in the 19th round of the Major League Baseball Draft by the Florida Marlins this past Friday. Williams hit an even .400 with 7 homers, and 59 RBI's this past season. Instead of turing pro, Williams is leaning towards continuing his education at Troy University. He signed with them in late April. Washington Nationals southeast scout said, "His performance at the regionals in Meridian put him on the major league map." During the five games at the region 23 tournament against three of the top eight teams in the country, Williams hit .545 at the plate. Along with that, he knocked out 2 home runs, 11 RBI's, and smashed 5 doubles. Chris Shafer........... Five more Highlanders chosen in baseball draft DAY 2: USC's Duda, from Arlington High, goes in the 7th round; Cajon High has 2 players taken. 10:00 PM PDT on Friday, June 8, 2007 By KEVIN PEARSON and MARK THOMA The Press-Enterprise UC Riverside followed its first Big West Conference championship with an impressive showing in the Major League Baseball first-year player draft. The Highlanders had five players selected on Friday, adding to the two -- including pitcher James Simmons, who went in the first round -- who were selected Thursday. Pitcher Daniel Runzler and shortstop Jaime Pedroza were both ninth-round selections Friday, while catcher Jeff Dunbar and pitcher Adam Reifer were 11th-round selections. Pitcher Stephen Penney went in the 20th round. Runzler was 4-6 with a 5.06 ERA, while Reifer posted a 2.45 ERA in only five games. Dunbar started 55 games and batted .203, but caught 22 of 42 would-be base-stealers. Pedroza batted .325 with 13 home runs and 55 RBI in 59 games, while Penney was 5-2 with a 5.40 ERA. USC junior outfielder-first baseman Lucas Duda, a Riverside Arlington High graduate, was taken in the seventh round by the New York Mets. The state-champion Riverside Community College baseball team was also well represented in the draft. The Tigers had four current players and one former player drafted. Eight Inland high school players were selected Friday, including a pair of high school teammates. San Bernardino Cajon's Chris Shafer was the first Inland high school player selected on the second day. He was selected by the Florida Marlins in the 13th round (406th overall). Shafer was 7-0 with a 1.83 ERA for the Cowboys. He also played first base and batted .457 with seven home runs, but Florida will use him as a pitcher. He throws his fastball 88-93 mph and has good movement on his pitches. "I'm feeling pretty good right now," Shafer said. "I do expect to sign with them." Cajon catcher Bryson Rahier was selected by the Braves in the 42nd round (1,257th overall). "Bryson's my best friend and there's nothing more exciting than both of us having our dreams come true," Shafer said. "I hope I make it to the big leagues, and I hope he's up there with me." Riverside Poly ace Kyle Ocampo was also drafted in the 13th round, 410th overall, by the Texas Rangers. Ocampo easily reaches 94 mph with his fastball and has a solid slider. He was 8-1 with a 2.01 ERA for the Bears this year. Ocampo, who has signed a letter of intent with Cal State Fullerton, was considered by many scouts to be a first-day talent. The Rangers have been following Ocampo for years and like his makeup. "They knew what my (signing bonus) range was and they took a chance today," Ocampo said. "I'm ready to go play pro baseball, so hopefully it works out. I've really been looking forward to it and it's exciting to know I've got the chance." http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:-_u1G...us&ie=UTF-8 Shafer He worked closely with a Marlins scout, to the point that the scout taught him a new, more effective grip on his slider. With an 88-93 mph fastball that projects as having good sink, and a 6-2, 235-pound frame, Shafer is projectable. He said the Marlins told him to expect a lot of lifting and a lot of running in rookie ball. He was 7-0 with a 1.83 ERA and hit .453 with seven homers.
June 16, 200719 yr According to Warchant.com, our 6th round pick, Taiwan Easterling has said that talks between him and the Marlins have broke down and he will honor his committment to Florida State and play football. Apparently the Marlins were nowhere near the amount of money he wanted, but that's no surprise. It just sucks that our 6th round pick goes for nothing now, oh well, that's the business of baseball.
June 17, 200719 yr According to Warchant.com, our 6th round pick, Taiwan Easterling has said that talks between him and the Marlins have broke down and he will honor his committment to Florida State and play football. Apparently the Marlins were nowhere near the amount of money he wanted, but that's no surprise. It just sucks that our 6th round pick goes for nothing now, oh well, that's the business of baseball. That's not true. I'm from Oak Grove where Taiwan went to HS. He doesn't want to play football and wants to sign with the Marlins but his mom is pushing him to play football. It has nothing to do with money from what I hear. He went down to Tallahassee but has until August to sign.
June 17, 200719 yr According to Warchant.com, our 6th round pick, Taiwan Easterling has said that talks between him and the Marlins have broke down and he will honor his committment to Florida State and play football. Apparently the Marlins were nowhere near the amount of money he wanted, but that's no surprise. It just sucks that our 6th round pick goes for nothing now, oh well, that's the business of baseball. That's not true. I'm from Oak Grove where Taiwan went to HS. He doesn't want to play football and wants to sign with the Marlins but his mom is pushing him to play football. It has nothing to do with money from what I hear. He went down to Tallahassee but has until August to sign. Thanks for the info. Keep us updated. :thumbup I am assuming you have seen him play, what did you think of his potential as a baseball player?
June 18, 200719 yr Author Why are some of the players listed in the first post in bold? Have they signed? Yes sir.
June 18, 200719 yr Is Taiwan planning to play baseball at FSU as well? Ive heard great things and people seem to expect him to have a better baseball future than D'Vo.
June 18, 200719 yr According to Warchant.com, our 6th round pick, Taiwan Easterling has said that talks between him and the Marlins have broke down and he will honor his committment to Florida State and play football. Apparently the Marlins were nowhere near the amount of money he wanted, but that's no surprise. It just sucks that our 6th round pick goes for nothing now, oh well, that's the business of baseball. That's not true. I'm from Oak Grove where Taiwan went to HS. He doesn't want to play football and wants to sign with the Marlins but his mom is pushing him to play football. It has nothing to do with money from what I hear. He went down to Tallahassee but has until August to sign. Ok, the article has him quoted saying that talks with the Marlins broke down and he is putting his focus to FSU and his football career. You're right, anything could happen between now and August. He could get to FSU and realize that he doesn't like it or whatever, but I guarantee that he won't be getting a penny more than what the Marlins offered him. And as far as FSU and baseball goes for Taiwan, he said he strictly wants to play football, but anything could happen. FSU baseball is really going to need some help next year, so I could see Mike Martin giving him a sales pitch.
June 18, 200719 yr Is Taiwan planning to play baseball at FSU as well? Ive heard great things and people seem to expect him to have a better baseball future than D'Vo. FSU told him he can play baseball but you know how that goes. Once they get on campus, football rules everything. Ty is a good football player but in the opinion of just about everyone who has seen him play both sports, baseball is his ticket. He knows that and baseball is his first love anyway. Not sure if you all knew this or not but Ty was the Player of the Year in the state of Mississippi and beat out Wendell Fairley who went in the first round to the Gaints. I just hope his mom does the right thing and lets him do what he wants to do which is play pro ball.
June 18, 200719 yr Thanks for the info. Keep us updated. :thumbup I am assuming you have seen him play, what did you think of his potential as a baseball player? I'm biased but I think Taiwan will play in the major leagues one day. He has all the tools, run, throw, hit for power and hit 94 on the mound in the state championships. There are a lot of knowledgeable baseball people in south Mississippi who think he's better than Wendell Fairley.
June 18, 200719 yr Is Taiwan planning to play baseball at FSU as well? Ive heard great things and people seem to expect him to have a better baseball future than D'Vo. FSU told him he can play baseball but you know how that goes. Once they get on campus, football rules everything. Ty is a good football player but in the opinion of just about everyone who has seen him play both sports, baseball is his ticket. He knows that and baseball is his first love anyway. Not sure if you all knew this or not but Ty was the Player of the Year in the state of Mississippi and beat out Wendell Fairley who went in the first round to the Gaints. I just hope his mom does the right thing and lets him do what he wants to do which is play pro ball. Dude, the kid is 18. If he wants to really play baseball he could. The decision is his, not his mom's.
June 18, 200719 yr FSU football signee Taiwan Easterling, who could provide Martin's baseball team a boost as a two-sport athlete, arrived in Tallahassee on Saturday to begin the second session of summer school. Easterling, a fourth-round pick of the Florida Marlins, said he was encouraged by family to honor his commitment to FSU. "They felt like I should," said Easterling, who allowed for some room to change his mind at the end of the summer. - Tallahassee Democrat So his family wants him at FSU and he is at school but still isnt completely against accepting an offer.
June 18, 200719 yr 4th round pick Bryan Peterson is currently playing on ESPN2 vs Cal State Fullerton if you guys wanna check him out. He's currenty 1-2 BB
June 18, 200719 yr Walk off Single in the 13th for the Victory! This guy is really impressive. Shows good patience and maturity at the plate. Opposite field double earlier in the game and the walk off single right up the middle off a lefty. Very impressive to say the least.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.