Rays part ways with Elijah Dukes

Hanleylicious

As much as everyone here is salivating the fact is if it's true as I've heard he's not taking his medicine for bipolar disorder that he's just about a lost cost for a baseball player. As a person who has a personal history with it, he needs to straighten himself out before he should be allowed on a baseball field.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

A guy I would love the Reds to pick up (but they won't). Get the guy a mentor, and try to straighten his life out. He's got all the talent in the world.

I'm really fearful that he might be beyond a mentor, and what he needs is extensive counseling and medication.

EDIT: And more than anything the ability to admit that he has problems.

A guy I would love the Reds to pick up (but they won't). Get the guy a mentor, and try to straighten his life out. He's got all the talent in the world.

I'm really fearful that he might be beyond a mentor, and what he needs is extensive counseling and medication.

EDIT: And more than anything the ability to admit that he has problems.

Exactly, it's amazing most people are seemingly ignorant to the fact that this is not a bad apple this is a troubled kid with a real chemical imbalance which if unmedicated and uncounceled as he's currently doing is a person who is incapable of being a functioning part of society let alone a million dollar baseball player.

He needs a few months away from the game with counceling and time for the lithium medication to take hold on him. Thats the only way this problem is going to be corrected, if you think it can be solved any other way your living a pure fantasy.

Guest FlummoxedLummox

I don't think anyone denies his talent, but because his personality is so volatile, it makes no sense to invest too much in him. That's what most people are cautioning.

I must have missed the part where he told you he is bipolar. My bad.

I've seen it in multiple stories and honestly just look at his record. Their's more at work their than a bad upbringing.

Link?

I don't think anyone denies his talent, but because his personality is so volatile, it makes no sense to invest too much in him. That's the point most people are cautioning.

But it's not going to be a huge investment. We can offer them Renyel Pinto and they'll do it in half a second. With Logan, Martinez, and Gardner all available soon with the ability to provide relief help, we have to do this. It makes too much sense. If he messes up, we cut him and we lost a marginal reliever. Big deal.

Was he less of a POS then, or just the same extremely talented baseball player?

Well, the Durham Bulls said they don't want Dukes back on their team...so I 'd say he was a POS back then too.

You conveniently cut out my point which was that he put up a .889 OPS as a 22 year old in AAA. Thats crazy.