Rays part ways with Elijah Dukes

You Haters this guy is 22 he has time to turn his life around just like Hamilton I say give him a god damn chance before the braves or mets pick him up.

No one feels like waiting for some immature punk when he doesn't even make an effort to improve himself. Dukes just seems to get stupider as the days go on. I mean, how stupid can you be to call into a radio station and talk sh*t for 15 minutes straight? Very professional, huh? I for one don't feel like waiting for someone like him to grow up when we're trying to win RIGHT NOW.

Nobody? ...

I know somebody already did this, but I had to hit the bold icon as well....

If we're trying to win RIGHT NOW we don't exactly have the roster to get it done RIGHT NOW.

If we're trying to win RIGHT NOW we don't exactly have the roster to get it done RIGHT NOW.

So you're implying that adding Dukes will make us championship contenders right away? XMFD. Sure, let's pick him up. Then when he goes on an 0-15 slump and is hitting .220 with a error every now and then, let's call for his head. People who are so quick to defend Dukes are the same ones who hate and criticize Hermida even though they're on the same boat. Except Hermida doesn't have a bunch of "babies mommas", hasn't threatened to kill anyone, hasn't had any restraining orders put against him, hasn't had sex with a 17 year old, and doesn't throw Gatorade bottles at people out of anger. But who cares, lets get Dukes because he can play centerfield, he's a highly touted prospect, and will make us a contender guys!

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg defended the team's decision to place Elijah Dukes on the temporary inactive list rather than release the troubled rookie outfielder.

Dukes, whose wife obtained a restraining order after she said the ballplayer threatened her, was optioned to the minor leagues Friday and will be given time away from the game to try to straighten out his personal life.

Sternberg said the embattled 22-year-old asked for help, and that the Devil Rays will support his effort to get back on track through counseling from "professional people who know how to deal with these sorts of things."

"Quite simply I do everything I can, and I make sure this organization does everything it can, not to turn its backs on people. We will do that now, and we always have done that," Sternberg said before Saturday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"Elijah's a person who is looking for some assistance, and we're going to make sure that he gets it. What the future holds, none of us ever knows. But I can look in the mirror, and I would expect and hope that everybody in this organization -- fans and any bystanders who are interested in this story -- can look themselves in the mirror and know and feel that we've done the right thing here. I will not look back at this with any regret."

Dukes was suspended for the final month of last season at Triple-A Durham because of a string of on- and off-the-field incidents. He was arrested in January and charged with marijuana possession, but reported to spring training determined to leave his troubles behind.

He not only won a spot on the roster, but with Rocco Baldelli slowed by a hamstring injury, was the opening day center fielder. He homered in his first major league game and was hitting .190 with 10 homers and 21 RBI's in 52 games before being placed on the inactive list.

Dukes' playing time had decreased since late last month, when his estranged wife revealed she sought court protection for herself and the couple's children.

Last week, he was given a personal day off after published reports detailed a pregnant 18-year-old girl's claim that Dukes is the father of her unborn child.

Sternberg said some people would have liked to have seen Dukes apologize and "begging forgiveness."

"But sometimes it's not as simple as all that. This is certainly one of those instances," Sternberg said. "But I can assure you we will have very little, if zero tolerance towards anything that will become a distraction for this organization and what it is trying to accomplish going forward."

Dukes, who earns $380,000, will be paid while he's on the inactive list. One consideration in the decision to continue paying his major league salary is the player has several young children.

"We're going to put the proper mechanisms in place, hopefully, that will allow him to change himself," Sternberg said, adding that he's not concerned about the team's image being affected by its handling of Dukes.

"This will pass, hopefully, with a very positive outcome for him," the owner said. "If it doesn't, our reputation will remain intact as an organization that's trying to help somebody or did what they think they could to help somebody."

Good to hear he's getting help, and sounds like he won't be traded (atleast not now)

So you're implying that adding Dukes will make us championship contenders right away? XMFD. Sure, let's pick him up. Then when he goes on an 0-15 slump and is hitting .220 with a error every now and then, let's call for his head. People who are so quick to defend Dukes are the same ones who hate and criticize Hermida even though they're on the same boat. Except Hermida doesn't have a bunch of "babies mommas", hasn't threatened to kill anyone, hasn't had any restraining orders put against him, hasn't had sex with a 17 year old, and doesn't throw Gatorade bottles at people out of anger. But who cares, lets get Dukes because he can play centerfield, he's a highly touted prospect, and will make us a contender guys!

Not implying that at all. If anything, Im implying that he COULD help this team. But more obviously, I am just explicitly stating that this team cannot win "right now" and roster changes must be made for us to contend right now, whether it begin with Dukes or other options.

Not implying that at all. If anything, Im implying that he COULD help this team. But more obviously, I am just explicitly stating that this team cannot win "right now" and roster changes must be made for us to contend right now, whether it begin with Dukes or other options.

ill take the other options thanks :thumbup

I defend Hermida more than anyone on this board and I want Dukes. These two things have nothing to do with eachother. Just because a lot of idiots hate Hermida because he didn't pull a Hanley Ramirez and set the world on fire right away doesn't mean we shouldn't get Dukes.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays principal owner Stuart Sternberg defended the team's decision to place Elijah Dukes on the temporary inactive list rather than release the troubled rookie outfielder.

Dukes, whose wife obtained a restraining order after she said the ballplayer threatened her, was optioned to the minor leagues Friday and will be given time away from the game to try to straighten out his personal life.

Sternberg said the embattled 22-year-old asked for help, and that the Devil Rays will support his effort to get back on track through counseling from "professional people who know how to deal with these sorts of things."

"Quite simply I do everything I can, and I make sure this organization does everything it can, not to turn its backs on people. We will do that now, and we always have done that," Sternberg said before Saturday night's game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"Elijah's a person who is looking for some assistance, and we're going to make sure that he gets it. What the future holds, none of us ever knows. But I can look in the mirror, and I would expect and hope that everybody in this organization -- fans and any bystanders who are interested in this story -- can look themselves in the mirror and know and feel that we've done the right thing here. I will not look back at this with any regret."

Dukes was suspended for the final month of last season at Triple-A Durham because of a string of on- and off-the-field incidents. He was arrested in January and charged with marijuana possession, but reported to spring training determined to leave his troubles behind.

He not only won a spot on the roster, but with Rocco Baldelli slowed by a hamstring injury, was the opening day center fielder. He homered in his first major league game and was hitting .190 with 10 homers and 21 RBI's in 52 games before being placed on the inactive list.

Dukes' playing time had decreased since late last month, when his estranged wife revealed she sought court protection for herself and the couple's children.

Last week, he was given a personal day off after published reports detailed a pregnant 18-year-old girl's claim that Dukes is the father of her unborn child.

Sternberg said some people would have liked to have seen Dukes apologize and "begging forgiveness."

"But sometimes it's not as simple as all that. This is certainly one of those instances," Sternberg said. "But I can assure you we will have very little, if zero tolerance towards anything that will become a distraction for this organization and what it is trying to accomplish going forward."

Dukes, who earns $380,000, will be paid while he's on the inactive list. One consideration in the decision to continue paying his major league salary is the player has several young children.

"We're going to put the proper mechanisms in place, hopefully, that will allow him to change himself," Sternberg said, adding that he's not concerned about the team's image being affected by its handling of Dukes.

"This will pass, hopefully, with a very positive outcome for him," the owner said. "If it doesn't, our reputation will remain intact as an organization that's trying to help somebody or did what they think they could to help somebody."

Good to hear he's getting help, and sounds like he won't be traded (atleast not now)

Jeez, what a douche. That guy is doing absolutely nothing to turn his life around. Waste of talent.

Yes, let's applaud a man for doing what he's supposed to be doing. What a great human being. Since he takes care of his children, I definitely want him on the team now.

How many arrests have been made? What has he done to the league itself? All there are are allegations. I'm not saying Dukes is innocent at all because he probably isn't. But if guys like Kenny Rogers still have jobs in this league, a guy like Dukes should not have problems finding a new team to play for.

Yes, let's applaud a man for doing what he's supposed to be doing. What a great human being. Since he takes care of his children, I definitely want him on the team now.

How many arrests have been made? What has he done to the league itself? All there are are allegations. I'm not saying Dukes is innocent at all because he probably isn't. But if guys like Kenny Rogers still have jobs in this league, a guy like Dukes should not have problems finding a new team to play for.

I agree. I'm just happy it's not here.

Let's make a guy out to be the devil for making mistakes when he was young (which a ton of people in his situation have) and make up a bunch of bulls*** about him not trying to get help and then ignore an article that says that he asked the Devil Rays for help because we have a blind hatred of a guy for no reason.

Ok. Even if he fixes himself up, finds Jesus and turn to a life of good, you still wouldn't want him? Thats bulls***. And here's the thing, he'd be just as productive as an ass as he would be if he were a saint. And thats all that should matter on the field.

While Dukes is sitting there for the taking, we're sending Alfredo Amezaga out to start day after day. Think about that.

kenny rogers pushed a camera out of his face...not exactly getting every girl he meets prego, or threatening lives or anything like that...you do realize that dukes is probably headed down the same path as O.J. right? hell...the guy is one rude comment away from murdering someone...ill pass

I defend Hermida more than anyone on this board and I want Dukes. These two things have nothing to do with eachother. Just because a lot of idiots hate Hermida because he didn't pull a Hanley Ramirez and set the world on fire right away doesn't mean we shouldn't get Dukes.

Jeez, what a douche. That guy is doing absolutely nothing to turn his life around. Waste of talent.

why is it that if people dont agree with you, swifty and benched, that we are idiots?...

kenny rogers pushed a camera out of his face...not exactly getting every girl he meets prego, or threatening lives or anything like that...you do realize that dukes is probably headed down the same path as O.J. right? hell...the guy is one rude comment away from murdering someone...ill pass

I'm not sure if this is borderline racist or just stupid. Probably just stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

why is it that if people dont agree with you, swifty and benched, that we are idiots?...

Because it's an underinformed and knee jerk reaction.

first of all...how is comparing an accused murderer to a potential murderer borderline racist? because they are both black? well...i dont want to let the cat out of the cave you are living in...but murderers come in all shapes, sizes and professions...and ok...when jeremy hermida makes an all-star team...ill agree with you...until then...he is just another prospect getting overrated by fans who would love to go down on him and his "big bat"

first of all...how is comparing an accused murderer to a potential murderer borderline racist? because they are both black? well...i dont want to let the cat out of the cave you are living in...but murderers come in all shapes, sizes and professions...and ok...when jeremy hermida makes an all-star team...ill agree with you...until then...he is just another prospect getting overrated by fans who would love to go down on him and his "big bat"

AH, so players have to make all star teams in order to be good major league ball players. Hanley sucks then, huh?

It's probably not borderline racist, but with you I'm not really sure. You draw some of the most ridiculous parallels where there are none. He's the next O.J., give me a break. The difference is OJ was actually incarcerated for being a gang member early on in his life.

And just like Dukes has never been arrested, OJ was found innocent. Regardless of what you feel about it, they've never been punished for their accused crimes. At best your statements are downright slanderous.

AH, so players have to make all star teams in order to be good major league ball players. Hanley sucks then, huh?

It's probably not borderline racist, but with you I'm not really sure. You draw some of the most ridiculous parallels where there are none. He's the next O.J., give me a break. The difference is OJ was actually incarcerated for being a gang member early on in his life.

And just like Dukes has never been arrested, OJ was found innocent. Regardless of what you feel about it, they've never been punished for their accused crimes. At best your statements are downright slanderous.

no...but hanley has shown the potential to make many all-star games...we judge people based on their resume...when we glorify guys like mickey mantle and ted williams...we point out there batting average, hr's, rbi's, how many titles won, how many gold gloves won, how many all star game appearances...thats just the way it is...in order to be voted in as a Marlin, you have to have a superstar on a good year type of first half or else you dont have a chance...hermida...im sorry...hasnt shown me anything worth hanging onto his jockstrap like you have...thats fine and whatever everyone has favorite players for no reason...i used to think ruben sierra was the man back in the day...but from what i see of hermida so far...he would be lucky to have the career that sierra did...very lucky...but to call people idiots for not agreeing with you is about as mature as sending pics of your gun to your wife in a threatening manner...

and like the old saying goes...where there is smoke...there is fire...and dukes is a pile of napalm waiting for a lit match

I really just dont think you know enough about the guy to say he is "one rude comment away from murdering someone".... We all know he has problems but none of us know the guy and there are always two sides to a story, even when that other side of the story doesnt fit the side that you want to believe. Im not saying hes a good guy or that he cant potentially run into more severe legal problems (anyone can, though), I just don't think its too fair the way some on here are acting as though they KNOW the guy and exactly what his problems are.

I really just dont think you know enough about the guy to say he is "one rude comment away from murdering someone".... We all know he has problems but none of us know the guy and there are always two sides to a story, even when that other side of the story doesnt fit the side that you want to believe. Im not saying hes a good guy or that he cant potentially run into more severe legal problems (anyone can, though), I just don't think its too fair the way some on here are acting as though they KNOW the guy and exactly what his problems are.

i dont pretend to know the guy or anything...but a guy like dukes is a cancer...if dukes wishes to get some fair opinions of himself...he can either change his lifestyle and become a solid citizen or continue his one way road to jail...which he will almost undoubtedly find soon enough

i dont pretend to know the guy or anything...but a guy like dukes is a cancer...if dukes wishes to get some fair opinions of himself...he can either change his lifestyle and become a solid citizen or continue his one way road to jail...which he will almost undoubtedly find soon enough

a cancer to who?... himself and his lady friends

but his teammates seem to love the guy

a cancer to who?... himself and his lady friends

but his teammates seem to love the guy

And thank you Ramp. That's what I have been saying the whole thread. Dukes is not a clubhouse cancer.

Dukes could have bombed an elementary school and I would still want him in CF over Amezaga.

I lol'ed at this almost as hard as I have been at JJ's last few posts.

Should I really go into why I like Jeremy Hermida again? And why comparing him to Ruben Sierra is stupid? It's not it's Jason Wood and I like his story. He's going to be a good ballplayer, and the fact that every other day there is a "loletsbenchhermida!11" thread it stupid.