Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Shea Hillenbrand DFA

Featured Replies

He hit .301 last year and .291 in his last full season in 2005. You're ready to deem his bat dead after 197 ABs?

 

...and interestingly enough if he had ten, just ten more hits so far this season, less than one more hit a week, he'd be batting over .300 again. Without going back and doing the math again I did earlier in the day, I think it was .304.

 

I have not seen him play even an inning this season, or if I did (see the Angels...and that I did because I've seen Willits play two-three times this season) I don't remember him doing anything memorable.

 

I don't know what happens if he comes to the NL or if he's healthy (enough) or motivated (enough) to make a good showing. And people may be right he never gets cut, but traded before his ten days are up, we'll just have to sit back and watch. But if shows up in Marlins uni in the next week or so, I'll be hoping he plays well enough be part of a trade package come the end of July.

He hit .301 last year and .291 in his last full season in 2005. You're ready to deem his bat dead after 197 ABs?

 

...and interestingly enough if he had ten, just ten more hits so far this season, less than one more hit a week, he'd be batting over .300 again. Without going back and doing the math again I did earlier in the day, I think it was .304.

 

I have not seen him play even an inning this season, or if I did (see the Angels...and that I did because I've seen Willits play two-three times this season) I don't remember him doing anything memorable.

 

I don't know what happens if he comes to the NL or if he's healthy (enough) or motivated (enough) to make a good showing. And people may be right he never gets cut, but traded before his ten days are up, we'll just have to sit back and watch. But if shows up in Marlins uni in the next week or so, I'll be hoping he plays well enough be part of a trade package come the end of July.

:notworthy

why and who?

 

who made this insane b.s. rumor that we have any interest in him

and why?

 

we dont need another aaron boone. we need a CF, a catcher, and or a SP.

 

yankees want him, yankees will get him

yeah but cmon we can send down a borchard or someone

 

He's worse than Jo Bo.

 

When was JoBo ever an All-Star third baseman?

 

Well he doesn't play third base, but aside from that, Hillenbrand has no bat anymore.

He hit .301 last year and .291 in his last full season in 2005. You're ready to deem his bat dead after 197 ABs?

 

He hit 301 with the Blue Jays last year. He hit .248 with the giants. He had a .313 OBP for the whole season.

 

The year he hit .291 he had 26 walks. Yuck.

yeah but cmon we can send down a borchard or someone

 

He's worse than Jo Bo.

 

When was JoBo ever an All-Star third baseman?

 

Yep, that sub .800 OPS made him very deserving of an all star selection! :whistle

would be a nice bat off the bench for us, but i seriously doubt we pick him up.

 

Hillenbrand will not accept a bench role, that is why he is being released now.

yeah but cmon we can send down a borchard or someone

 

He's worse than Jo Bo.

 

When was JoBo ever an All-Star third baseman?

 

Yep, that sub .800 OPS made him very deserving of an all star selection! :whistle

 

 

I hate Shea Hillenbrand, he's a douche and I hope he never puts on a Marlin's jersey (Though also not worried about it since he'll be a Yankee), but Hillenbrand has a career OPS of .764 and has been a starter most of his career. JoBo has a career OPS of .641, has never been more then bench material, and is probably the worst 4th OF in the majors right now.

 

Hillenbrand is nothing close to amazing but he's still had a more illustrial career and yeah, I'd say he's a better hitter. Even with his big struggles this year, his OPS is still only .018 behind Borchard's.

at least Shea can hit

 

Umm, no... Joe Borchard has a higher OPS this year. :rolleyes:

 

at least one has a major league career

 

:rolleyes:

 

So what does Joe Borchard have? Can you at least try to make some sense?

 

Borchard has a major league job for sheer luck, thats not an MLB career ... one has been an all-star & has a career average of .300 while the other can't even hold a .200 average and is on the team because of the lack of options.

 

There's really no need to compare the numbers for both, i dont understand. I personally dont want the guy but to compare him to Joe Borchard and say that Joe has as much of a career as the other one is completely ass backwards

I hate Shea Hillenbrand, he's a douche and I hope he never puts on a Marlin's jersey (Though also not worried about it since he'll be a Yankee), but Hillenbrand has a career OPS of .764 and has been a starter most of his career. JoBo has a career OPS of .641, has never been more then bench material, and is probably the worst 4th OF in the majors right now.

 

Hillenbrand is nothing close to amazing but he's still had a more illustrial career and yeah, I'd say he's a better hitter. Even with his big struggles this year, his OPS is still only .018 behind Borchard's.

 

The fact that he is 'better' than Borchard is irrelevant. Hillenbrand will not take a bench job (which is why he is gone from the Angels), comparing him to a 5th OF is a worthless endeavor. Also, due to the team's dire straits in the OF this season, JoBo has been misused. Ross/Borch as a spot-starting and PH platoon is adequate. Borchard playing every day is not.

 

Borchards 3-Year vs. RHP: .748 OPS

Ross's 3-Year vs. LHP: .885 OPS

 

There is not a single place in our lineup for Hillenbrand.

Are we really going to have a "So and so was DFAed" thread EVERY SINGLE TIME someone with a name gets sent down? It isn't going to happen and it doesn't need to happen. Like Ramp said, unless he can go 6 innings we don't need him.

Are we really going to have a "So and so was DFAed" thread EVERY SINGLE TIME someone with a name gets sent down? It isn't going to happen and it doesn't need to happen. Like Ramp said, unless he can go 6 innings we don't need him.

 

this is mb.com of course there will be a thread everytime.

 

so far weve got a hillenbrad, dukes, stairs, bradley, barrett, clark

yeah but cmon we can send down a borchard or someone

 

He's worse than Jo Bo.

:rolleyes:

 

Borchard has been just as good as Hillenbrand this season, and he was better than him after his trade to San Fran last year.

 

Also, for the people who say "He's an all star etc." what does that have to do with it? Christian Guzman was an all star. So was Mark Redman. That doesn't mean they are good players. Hillenbrand is absolutely not even worth being looked at.

I hate Shea Hillenbrand, he's a douche and I hope he never puts on a Marlin's jersey (Though also not worried about it since he'll be a Yankee), but Hillenbrand has a career OPS of .764 and has been a starter most of his career. JoBo has a career OPS of .641, has never been more then bench material, and is probably the worst 4th OF in the majors right now.

 

Hillenbrand is nothing close to amazing but he's still had a more illustrial career and yeah, I'd say he's a better hitter. Even with his big struggles this year, his OPS is still only .018 behind Borchard's.

 

The fact that he is 'better' than Borchard is irrelevant. Hillenbrand will not take a bench job (which is why he is gone from the Angels), comparing him to a 5th OF is a worthless endeavor. Also, due to the team's dire straits in the OF this season, JoBo has been misused. Ross/Borch as a spot-starting and PH platoon is adequate. Borchard playing every day is not.

 

Borchards 3-Year vs. RHP: .748 OPS

Ross's 3-Year vs. LHP: .885 OPS

 

There is not a single place in our lineup for Hillenbrand.

 

I was only argueing that Hillenbrand is a better hitter then JoBo, since that's what the discussion at hand had become. Marlins shouldn't, and won't, go after him.

I'm not entirely sure we would be a bad fit for Hillenbrand who could a good replacement for Boone in the short term and conceivably he comes in for four-six weeks, plays well, Boone comes back and we trade a resurgent Hillenbrand off for a piece we need.

 

Cost. Virtually nothing.

 

Perfect scenario? Yep, but stranger things have happened the last two weeks of July.

 

But he has been called a "clubhouse cancer". If he was a problem in Toronto, writing on the team blackboard "This ship is sinking" what in the world would he write about our team ? No thanks...... :thumbdown

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.