Shea Hillenbrand DFA

canada-marlin24

I'm not entirely sure we would be a bad fit for Hillenbrand who could a good replacement for Boone in the short term and conceivably he comes in for four-six weeks, plays well, Boone comes back and we trade a resurgent Hillenbrand off for a piece we need.

Cost. Virtually nothing.

Perfect scenario? Yep, but stranger things have happened the last two weeks of July.

What's with everyone wanting these cancers? First Dukes, then Barrett, now Hillenbrand. I'll pass on this guy too. I can't believe this is post number 13 and not a single person has brought up "change of scenario". That's what everyone says about this guy and it never works. Also, he's 32 which is WAY TOO OLD to some since that's a big reason a lot of people didn't want Jacque Jones. (I wasn't one of those people.)

If it were the Marlins objective to use him at first and third for a month his cost for that period would be roughly $50,000. As the trading period (July) ends and there were no bidders for him, they could cut him at a cost of another $100,000 but if some other team subsequently picks him up, since all major league clubs are obligated to pay a player at least a prorated portion of the minimum salary for all players, they would slide into the Marlins spot thus alleviating the Marlins of their obligation. On the otherhand were he to rebound and his value as a rent-a-player increased, the $50,000 the Marlins paid is meaningless if they can get some useful compensation.

The only reason this even works at all, and again it's just conjecture, is because the player who backs up first andthird is on the DL. It's a tailor-made situation to showcase the guy for a few weeks.

Not too long ago Benitez was a pariah, despised and vilified in San Francisco. Is there anyone who thinks his value hasn't increased because of both play and his enermously lowered financial obligation?

I'm not even suggesting the Marlins sign him but if they did I would think it would be linked to a specific purpose and very short term. I don't know that he isn't traded before his ten days and all this is moot or whether LB even has an interest, for any number of legitimate reasons.

I'm speaking 100% in the hypothetical. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I doubt the Angels would pay his whole salary which is what it would take for the Marlins to get him. He just doesn't fit here. But he has had a much better career than Joe Borchard and for anyone to mention Borchard with Hillenbrand as a baseball hitter makes me laugh.

yeah but cmon we can send down a borchard or someone

He's worse than Jo Bo.

When was JoBo ever an All-Star third baseman?

Well he doesn't play third base, but aside from that, Hillenbrand has no bat anymore.

He hit .301 last year and .291 in his last full season in 2005. You're ready to deem his bat dead after 197 ABs?