Anibal and the Fish not getting along

Ramp

Remember Anibal Sanchez, the pitching prospect who threw a no-hitter last year after the Red Sox [team stats] sent him to the Florida Marlins in the Josh Beckett [stats] deal? Well, he and the Marlins aren?t exactly seeing eye-to-eye these days.

Now out for the season after undergoing shoulder surgery, Sanchez is having the players union explore whether the Marlins unjustly sent him to the minors just before his injury was disclosed. Because Sanchez was subsequently placed on the disabled list at Triple-A Albuquerque, he is being paid only a pro-rated portion of his minor league salary instead of a pro-rated portion of his $381,000 big league salary.

The Marlins deny they did anything wrong, but to demote Sanchez and subsequently place him on the DL would be a violation of the bargaining agreement.

?He never said anything to me. There wasn?t one word ever,? Marlins pitching coach Rick Kranitz said in May when asked about Sanchez? injury. ?He just said it was bothering him at the time we sent him (to the minors). It took a lot of us by surprise.?

Of course, in the grand scheme of things, $300,000 is chump change to major league clubs.

But after all of the whispering about Beckett?s shoulder in November 2005, it is interesting to note that Sanchez is now in a medical dispute.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...ticleid=1009105

seems like Anibal's fault to me

I mean, by the book, Anibal's got a case.

It's his fault, and a lesson learned, but he's got a case.

Gotta disagree with ya on the case thing. I read he says he was going to tell them he was hurting the day they sent him down. But then he dosen't say anything until 3 days after they send him down?? On the day he was supposed to have a AAA start?? I now have no doubt he was hurting, but if he dosen't talk then who is to know except him?

The Marlins have repeatedly shown they will not hesitate to hold a pitcher back a start if he is hurting a little. Then put him on the DL if he dosen't improve. Now I can't say for certain because I'm not on the staff but I would be fairly sure the staff asked him at least once if he was okay. He hurt the team and he may have hurt himself more. He is getting what he deserves right now.

Gotta disagree with ya on the case thing. I read he says he was going to tell them he was hurting the day they sent him down. But then he dosen't say anything until 3 days after they send him down?? On the day he was supposed to have a AAA start?? I now have no doubt he was hurting, but if he dosen't talk then who is to know except him?

The Marlins have repeatedly shown they will not hesitate to hold a pitcher back a start if he is hurting a little. Then put him on the DL if he dosen't improve. Now I can't say for certain because I'm not on the staff but I would be fairly sure the staff asked him at least once if he was okay. He hurt the team and he may have hurt himself more. He is getting what he deserves right now.

Listen I agree with you that its his fault, but the facts are the facts and what the facts show is a really convoluted mess. Since Anibal never threw one inning for Albuquerque and instead was dl'd upon arrival (or at least wehen he reported) it is a violation of the cba. And the big thing here isn't the money, but the service time he's not acquiring while off the ML roster because that's setting his service clock to below 1 year heading into 2008.

Is Anibel really filing a case here, or is it just a routine review to see if the Marlins complied with the CBA. Seems to me like it's routine for the player's union to make sure that no player got scrruud out of 300k plus service time. Not saying that either side is right here. I don't have all the facts.

Listen I agree with you that its his fault, but the facts are the facts and what the facts show is a really convoluted mess. Since Anibal never threw one inning for Albuquerque and instead was dl'd upon arrival (or at least wehen he reported) it is a violation of the cba. And the big thing here isn't the money, but the service time he's not acquiring while off the ML roster because that's setting his service clock to below 1 year heading into 2008.

Swift I got ur back on this one. U are totally right Dude