TV ratings

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum on this board, especially when the issue of attendance comes up but...

Earlier tonight a viewer asked Rich and Tommy where the Marlins rank in TV ratings compared to the other 29 teams and Rich said the Marlins are currently 14th.

Just thought I'd put it on the board for those who were interested.

Yup, upper half of the pack. That is pretty good considering the Marlins are cable-only whereas many other teams still retain OTA telecasts.

Cardinals are on the way down: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...8B?OpenDocument

Mariners coming back: http://washingtonceo.com/news-article-disp...r-the-love.html

Tigers and the Verlander no-no: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6452002.html

Marlins Details from 2003: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA3258...s&q=Marlins

Impressive number, but not really unexpected. The market has a large population compared to many others and the fanbase is there. The only problem is getting them to go to games.

Only viewers in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe Counties are counted for FSN Florida/Sun Sports Marlins TV Ratings. Palm Beach and other external market ratings don't count.

Impressive number, but not really unexpected. The market has a large population compared to many others and the fanbase is there. The only problem is getting them to go to games.

Only viewers in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Monroe Counties are counted for FSN Florida/Sun Sports Marlins TV Ratings. Palm Beach and other external market ratings don't count.

Not entirely sure what you're getting at. There's still about 4.5 million people among those 3 counties.

I believe the last 4 posters missed the entire point of this thread. :|

the point of this thread is that ratings are up.

another point that was made is that PBC is not factored into ratings. and that if it was ratings could possibly be greater.

but if all the viewers go to games, wouldn't the ratings go down?............lol

and i think the cost of going to a game is wayyyyyyy too high. i dont think the devil rays have ever had a winning season (lol) and draw bigger crowds.... but i went to TB for one of the marlins and rays games and it was free parking, 15 dollar bullpen tickets with a voucher for a free soda,a free hotdog, and a free bag of chips.

also i hate having to scramble looking for a poncho before heading out or driving to a dollar store to purchase one. i do attend alot of games a season though. i have since 93 and still do. they should make some cheap marlins poncho's and give them at everygame where the forecast is rain.......lol or atleast sell them at the stadium for a buck. if dollar stores can sell them for a buck, im sure the marlins can..... one time i had to purchase a couple for 15 bucks off some random ticket scalper outside the stadium... he had tickets and a bag of ponchos....lol

but then again this is a bit off topic....

so back to topic... does 4 tv's in one house with the game on increase the ratings? or is it just per household?

My point is the Fish are ranked #14 in MLB without the support from the Palm Beach and Naples/Fort Myers markets where they also draw good viewership.

I believe you (Chewy) chose to ignore one major point made in this thread so you could enjoy your point a little more.

What's the reasoning behind that? PBC is South Florida. North of us is the Treasure Coast. And I believe Monroe County is considered the Keys, although I still list it as South Florida. Is our FSN and Sun Sports telecasts different than the three counties to our south? I understand your point is that if PBC were added to that list the ratings would be higher, just wondering how they figured out who counts and who dosen't.

but if all the viewers go to games, wouldn't the ratings go down?............lol

and i think the cost of going to a game is wayyyyyyy too high. i dont think the devil rays have ever had a winning season (lol) and draw bigger crowds.... but i went to TB for one of the marlins and rays games and it was free parking, 15 dollar bullpen tickets with a voucher for a free soda,a free hotdog, and a free bag of chips.

also i hate having to scramble looking for a poncho before heading out or driving to a dollar store to purchase one. i do attend alot of games a season though. i have since 93 and still do. they should make some cheap marlins poncho's and give them at everygame where the forecast is rain.......lol or atleast sell them at the stadium for a buck. if dollar stores can sell them for a buck, im sure the marlins can..... one time i had to purchase a couple for 15 bucks off some random ticket scalper outside the stadium... he had tickets and a bag of ponchos....lol

but then again this is a bit off topic....

so back to topic... does 4 tv's in one house with the game on increase the ratings? or is it just per household?

I believe the Marlins are still near the bottom of the list for cost to attend games. Especially with the diverse options on plans. Here's a clue. Don't throw away those ponchos. We took the Leiter ones we got at a game a couple years back and store them in our trunk. Or spend the $$$ and get a good rain suit. But then I don't go to a game and think every thing should be given to me for free or close to free just because I am honoring them with my presence.

My point is the Fish are ranked #14 in MLB without the support from the Palm Beach and Naples/Fort Myers markets where they also draw good viewership.

I believe you (Chewy) chose to ignore one major point made in this thread so you could enjoy your point a little more.

No, I realize perfectly that the ratings would go up 50% if Palm Beach was included, and it's lunacy that Palm Beach isn't included since it is, in fact, part of the South Florida metropolitan area the Marlins represent. However, I did not want this thread to turn into an endless stream of posts from people who say they are from Palm Beach county, besides it's filling the thread with rubbish.

Why doesnt the Palm Beach market count?

Not entirely sure what you're getting at. There's still about 4.5 million people among those 3 counties.

Fish draw on Palm Beach and Naples for alot of support as well. Aka $$$$$$$$$4

Naples? Come on thats a stretch. How many marlins fans are there in naples or ft myers? I dont think there would be many.

No, I realize perfectly that the ratings would go up 50% if Palm Beach was included, and it's lunacy that Palm Beach isn't included since it is, in fact, part of the South Florida metropolitan area the Marlins represent. However, I did not want this thread to turn into an endless stream of posts from people who say they are from Palm Beach county, besides it's filling the thread with rubbish.

I am sure there is some reason it isnt considered. Maybe because west palm beach to the stadium is about 60 miles away and that is the cut off?

Fish draw on Palm Beach and Naples for alot of support as well. Aka $$$$$$$$$4

Naples? Come on thats a stretch. How many marlins fans are there in naples or ft myers? I dont think there would be many.

More than you think.