Hanley's Revenge

sgleason02

from floridamarlins.com:

Ramirez's revenge? Blasting a big two-run home run off Greg Maddux on Tuesday night not only gave the Marlins a big boost in their comeback win over the Padres, it also was a measure of payback for Hanley Ramirez.

In his 2006 National League Rookie of the Year season, Ramirez had a single overturned to an error because Maddux spent months challenging the official scorer's ruling.

On May 24, 2006, the Marlins beat the Cubs 9-3. Maddux, then with Chicago, had the game slip away from him when Florida scored five runs in the fifth inning to grab a 6-3 win at the time.

The inning was kept alive because Ramirez hustled for what was ruled a single at the time after Chicago shortstop Ronny Cedeno made a bad throw.

Typically, an official scorer has 24 hours to make the change. But after reviewing the tape numerous times, official scorer Ron Jernik stood by his ruling of base hit. Maddux, however, contended it should have been an error by Cedeno. And the veteran pitcher kept protesting for months. He went to the league to review the call.

Eventually Jernik overturned Ramirez's single, which meant Maddux was charged with just one earned run (instead of six) that day.

By taking the single away, Ramirez ended up batting .292 on the season, which tied him with Jeff Conine for the highest batting average ever by a Marlins rookie. But if his single stood against Maddux, Ramirez would have ended up batting .294. While Maddux went through the proper channels, it is extremely rare to have a play overturned a few months later.

Maddux is a wierd guy. I've heard of him taking a dump in the showers before his starts on the road or crapping between the matress and box-springs of hotel beds on getaway day. He's nuts way beyond pushing for a scoring change.

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but it was pretty funny.

Maddux is a wierd guy. I've heard of him taking a dump in the showers before his starts on the road or crapping between the matress and box-springs of hotel beds on getaway day. He's nuts way beyond pushing for a scoring change.

I always heard he liked to piss on rookies who just came up with the team. He would do it in the showers.

My respect for Maddux has dropped quite a bit. If the other two claims in this thread are also true, I have no respect for the guy anymore.

However, Hanley keeps getting more awesome and the legend continues to grow...

Why would you respect Hanley? He plays with a serious lack of heart. He's a very self centered ball-player.

My respect for Maddux has dropped quite a bit. If the other two claims in this thread are also true, I have no respect for the guy anymore.

Why would you respect Hanley? He plays with a serious lack of heart. He's a very self centered ball-player.

get that sh*t out of here

Damn Ramp, now i'm starting to lose respect for you. Are you serious?

Damn Ramp, now i'm starting to lose respect for you. Are you serious?

Dead serious. Lack of heart please. Then again, it's all opinion and you have a right to have yours