Hanley at the leadoff

Bucklin12

Hanley loves hitting lead-off, it hurt the team when he was put in the 3rd spot. it took Fredi long enuf to realize it. Ramirez has been on fire since returining to lead-off spot and not by coincidence

I don't know if it took him long "enuf" to realize anything, but If I remember correctly, the reason he left him in the 3rd spot was because the team went on a tear when he first put him there. I actually liked it better with him at third because the whole team played better, including Amezaga in the leadoff spot.

I don't buy into the argument of batting such and such where convincingly changes their numbers (unless it's an NL player batting in front of the pitcher).

However, it's something that I think works with Hanley for two reasons.

One is that he loves first pitch swinging and jumps all over the all-to-common first pitch fastball.

The other is that Hanley noticeably altered his swing when he moved to the 3 spot. He was trying too much to elevate the ball and pull it. To use an all to overused cliche, Hanley was not staying within himself in the 3 spot and putting too much pressure to drive in every baserunner that was on for him.

I understand the very valid argument some may have that Hanley 3 and Cabrera 4 puts our two best hitters into the most run intensive spots in the order, but I'm quite happy to let Hanly bat 1st and let his .80 SB% create on the basepaths when the 2-hole's up rather than being reluctant to run in front of Miggy.

Hanley loves hitting lead-off, it hurt the team when he was put in the 3rd spot. it took Fredi long enuf to realize it. Ramirez has been on fire since returining to lead-off spot and not by coincidence

I don't know if it took him long "enuf" to realize anything, but If I remember correctly, the reason he left him in the 3rd spot was because the team went on a tear when he first put him there. I actually liked it better with him at third because the whole team played better, including Amezaga in the leadoff spot.

I love spelling enuf over enough, I am not the best speller but I still don't require spellcheck for that alone. In reference to Shadez in the 3 spot I don't have the numbers but i am sure someone who really cares would show the reduction in RBI and overall production in both the 1 spot and the 3 spot. Was the lineup better?... NO! Ramirez wasn't bringing in runs and Amezaga wasn't producing at Ramirez's level in the leadoff spot as hot as Amezaga was for a bit there his production was much less than what we had been getting from Hanley. This actually would lead to my observation that it was a terrible move

Well I think we know this.... Hanley is eventually going to be a 3 hole hitter

Maybe as he gets older but right now he is our best lead-off hitter and best base stealer. This may happen at the same time we move him to 3rd base and Cabs to first. That is quite a way off for now

I think Hanley becomes a 3 hole hitter as soon as next year.

Maybe as he gets older but right now he is our best lead-off hitter and best base stealer. This may happen at the same time we move him to 3rd base and Cabs to first. That is quite a way off for now

...if there is a better lead-off option, maybe

Even if that's not the case. He's going to be ready to hit 30hr and drive in 100 runs. It's his destiny.

Mike Phillips take on this matter

http://www.realcities.com/mld/miamiherald/...l/qa_forum.html

QSorry if this gets a little complicated but you will see what I'm driving at: (1) how many runs did Hanley Ramirez score when he was hitting leadoff vs. runs scored by Amezaga and any other leadoff hitters since Hanley moved to third? (2) How effective has Hanley been batting third vs. production from that position before he was moved there? (3) What was the Marlins' winning percentage while Hanley was batting leadoff, and what has it been since? I guess what bothers me is that I think there are several other players who could bat third effectively, but only one - Hanley - who can be a good leadoff hitter for this team.

Rick Wallach, Miami 6/20/07

AIt is not that complicated. No matter how you look a it, Ramirez looks better in the leadoff spot than the No. 3 spot. But Gonzalez feels he can drive in more runs at No. 3, and he wants to give him some time to prove that point. In my opinion, Hanley is a better leadoff man, because he seems to score so much more, and he seems to score in the first inning a lot, giving the Marlins an early jump in games. Mike Phillips 6/28/07

Even if that's not the case. He's going to be ready to hit 30hr and drive in 100 runs. It's his destiny.

And steal 30+ bases.

His consistent line in the future (I realize I may be a homer for this):

.330 30 HR+ 100 RBI+ 30 SB+

Does that sound about right?