July 14, 200719 yr BobBob....nobody has ever said that Dontrelle is, has been, or will be, some great #1 pitching ace. And nobody has said that Hermida should be tossed in the scrap heap. I'm hopeful that they'll both have a better second half, and both have a nice long productive career. It's actually you who's letting your eyes speak if you think that Dontrelle is a sack of mung and someone who's been throwing batting practice. That's just not a fact. He's had 2 real bad outings. The rest of the season has been a struggle for him, but not at the point where he's throwing batting practice. . . . That's my last post on that subject. This thread really is about BOOING the home team. And booing Dontrelle in particular. If you want to slide down that slope with TSwift as if you're a 2-man luge, go ahead. Lots of people have said Dontrelle is an ace. A lot more people have said Hermida is never going to amount to anything and that his minor league record doesn't mean anything, and that a new RFer is our most pressing need. If you haven't seen these threads, go do a search. I don't really see whats wrong with booing a player if they aren't performing? It shows your displeasure with them. At the end of the day, they have to know they have to play better, but who really cares if the fans boo them? If Hermida dropped another couple of flyballs tonight and you were there, would you boo him? I bet you would. Dontrelle's been awful this year, why shouldn't the fans let him know about it?
July 14, 200719 yr Are you the same BobBob that comes to the defense of Hermida, who's NEVER been anything but potential. And who drops flyballs like they're grenades. And who's hitting close to the Mendoza line. Yet you find these "lucky" stats to defend him and maintain that he's destined for greatness. . . Both Dontrelle and Hermida are hopefully both going through a rough patch, though Hermida has never shown a good streak in MLB. Dontrelle at least does have a lifetime ERA that would put him at #15 on the active player list. The hacks ahead of him. Maddux, Oswalt, Clemens, Santana, Big Unit, Smoltz, Kevin Brown, Zambrano, Schilling, Glavine, and Hudson. I can pull out the "lucky" stats that show Dontrelle had incredible luck in terms of home runs allowed, but you'll just say "I know what my eyes tell me". And I am the same bobbob who comes to the defense of Hermida when people say he's never going to amount to anything in the majors or that we need to worry about RF more than CF and C. I like to think I'm pretty consistent in my stances (Hermida's peripherals show he is better than his BA indicates, Dontrelle's peripherals indicate he wasn't as good in 2005 as his ERA and he is about as good as they say he should be now). :lol :lol :lol :lol You have to love it when a guy gets "lucky" for the entire year of 2005. Keep it comin bob........I havent laughed this hard since I watched George Carlin 4 nights ago!!
July 14, 200719 yr For the record I wouldnt boo Hermida if he went 0-8 or dropped 3 balls in RF. I boo the oppossing team. Period.
July 14, 200719 yr :lol :lol :lol :lol You have to love it when a guy gets "lucky" for the entire year of 2005. Keep it comin bob........I havent laughed this hard since I watched George Carlin 4 nights ago!! Do you have a better explanation for why a guy who has had HR/9IP of .7, .9., .85, and 1.1 in every season posts a .42 rate for a whole season? Or why he posts a career low H/9 while maintain career averages in K/9 with only a slight difference in BB/9? The most glaring factors in that season were his low hit rate and his low home run rate, both of which can be mostly attributed to luck. If not luck, then why can't he replicate that success in any other year? In his defense, he's probably had some bad luck in terms of home runs allowed, but his walk and k rates are both extremely bad so at the most, his bad luck with home runs has cost him like 5 or 6 earned runs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voros_McCracken Read that for a rough explanation of why "bad luck" and "good luck" are certainly real, at least in terms of pitchers. As for the home run rate, that tends to regress to normal for the course of a whole season, but in 2005 it didn't. I don't know what the explanation there is, but it seems like luck would probably have had at least some effect, since he's shown that he can't sustain a HR rate that low for a whole season other than in that one season. That points to a run of good luck in that season. Keep laughing, if you want, but I'm not proposing some revolutionary idea here.
July 14, 200719 yr The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans.
July 14, 200719 yr For the record, I'm not saying I would have booed him, or that I have booed Marlins players, but I have no problem with other people doing it.
July 14, 200719 yr And, despite what it apparently sounded like on TV, Dontrelle did not get booed off the field. Some actually applauded him. They were booing like hell where I was sitting and I assumed most were applauding him being taken of the field. I just stayed quiet and angry at the crowd acting like this was Philly You wish this 3rd rate fanbase was as good as the Philly crowd....maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself when's the last time anyone showed emotion in that stadium? No one wishes to be a pathetic fanbase like that. I'd rather have 17,000 fans like type that currently attend Marlins games (sans Swifty) over the 40,000 a**holes who go to Phillies games. :thumbup .
July 15, 200719 yr And, despite what it apparently sounded like on TV, Dontrelle did not get booed off the field. Some actually applauded him. They were booing like hell where I was sitting and I assumed most were applauding him being taken of the field. I just stayed quiet and angry at the crowd acting like this was Philly You wish this 3rd rate fanbase was as good as the Philly crowd....maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself when's the last time anyone showed emotion in that stadium? No one wishes to be a pathetic fanbase like that. I'd rather have 17,000 fans like type that currently attend Marlins games (sans Swifty) over the 40,000 a**holes who go to Phillies games. :thumbup . haha, that's a funny statement.....i'd rather have 40,000 "a**holes" then the empty stadiums the marlins play in front of....last time i checked, the Phillies have a winning home record while we don't....in one stadium there's juice....in another there's nothing. The pathetic fanbase is the one who doesn't go to the game...instead of the ones who boo at the games.
July 15, 200719 yr And, despite what it apparently sounded like on TV, Dontrelle did not get booed off the field. Some actually applauded him. They were booing like hell where I was sitting and I assumed most were applauding him being taken of the field. I just stayed quiet and angry at the crowd acting like this was Philly You wish this 3rd rate fanbase was as good as the Philly crowd....maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself when's the last time anyone showed emotion in that stadium? No one wishes to be a pathetic fanbase like that. I'd rather have 17,000 fans like type that currently attend Marlins games (sans Swifty) over the 40,000 a**holes who go to Phillies games. :thumbup . haha, that's a funny statement.....i'd rather have 40,000 "a**holes" then the empty stadiums the marlins play in front of....last time i checked, the Phillies have a winning home record while we don't....in one stadium there's juice....in another there's nothing. The pathetic fanbase is the one who doesn't go to the game...instead of the ones who boo at the games. What does attendance have to do with the team's home record? The Marlins won a World Series averaging less than they are this year. The Cubs haven't won a World Series in 99 years despite playing in front of a packed house on a daily basis. I see you have never been to a Marlins game at Pro Player. The 17k that show up are loud and they are louder than some of the teams that average a lot more than us. Anyone from out of town that I take to a game always make the "it's a loud bunch though." Booing the home team is stupid. Why are you a fan of this team?
July 15, 200719 yr And, despite what it apparently sounded like on TV, Dontrelle did not get booed off the field. Some actually applauded him. They were booing like hell where I was sitting and I assumed most were applauding him being taken of the field. I just stayed quiet and angry at the crowd acting like this was Philly You wish this 3rd rate fanbase was as good as the Philly crowd....maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself when's the last time anyone showed emotion in that stadium? No one wishes to be a pathetic fanbase like that. I'd rather have 17,000 fans like type that currently attend Marlins games (sans Swifty) over the 40,000 a**holes who go to Phillies games. :thumbup . haha, that's a funny statement.....i'd rather have 40,000 "a**holes" then the empty stadiums the marlins play in front of....last time i checked, the Phillies have a winning home record while we don't....in one stadium there's juice....in another there's nothing. The pathetic fanbase is the one who doesn't go to the game...instead of the ones who boo at the games. What does attendance have to do with the team's home record? The Marlins won a World Series averaging less than they are this year. The Cubs haven't won a World Series in 99 years despite playing in front of a packed house on a daily basis. I see you have never been to a Marlins game at Pro Player. The 17k that show up are loud and they are louder than some of the teams that average a lot more than us. Anyone from out of town that I take to a game always make the "it's a loud bunch though." Booing the home team is stupid. Why are you a fan of this team? Haha....i love all you guys who have all these rules for fans when they go to the games...it's pretty funny. I didn't realize that on my ticket it told me not to boo the home team. When they play badly, i'm going to cheer louder from now on. I'm a fan of this team....i'm not a fan of the players....especially the way this team is run. You can't get attached to anyone. I loved Pierre...still do but he's gone now. I loved Luis....still do but he's gone now. Can't get attached to these guys. Guess what, these guys make so much money that if they can't handle a little booing from their fans, then they shouldn't play the game. Yankees fans boo A-Rod...last time i checked he's having an awesome season despite their reaction. I thank Dontrelle for his time with the team and now help us out by giving us what's left of his value.
July 15, 200719 yr The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. :notworthy
July 15, 200719 yr Author Frankly MVP, I wonder whether Swift was even there last night with that statement they weren't booing. I was going to say you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind to not grok Willis' exit last night but that would be unfair to deaf and blind people. Then again, this is the same character who this morning proclaimed "...(the) Pitching coach almost always calls the pitches" (trying to falsely make the case catchers generally are overrated robots who play no part in calling games or strategizing pitch sequences) which of course is completely untrue at almost any level of professional baseball. Certainly not at the major league level. I was stunned no one call the him on it. ML dugouts don't work that way. The catcher looks to the manager first or his subordinate, but usually the former. Pitching coaches provide input when asked, they don't control the game. With Swift I guess people understand it's a sickness but some of it is just so over the top someone just has to respond. He's gone after me because he knows his bully boy tactics won't work here and I've seen it before other places so I know what's coming. He'd like me to disappear which of course I won't. It's gotten to the point where every time I see his sig these days I think of it as a badge of honor. Now Dontrelle is a "sack of crap"...wow, just wow. Tune in tomorrow to see what the newest proclamation is... That's an astute observation 2003. I think that you're right about him not even being at the game, as he was on the game thread last night DURING the game, asking "Did Dontrelle get booed there". When I responded yes, his response was "no". Go ahead and check the thread boys and girls, it's right there. Folks, there is a sickness here. I'd say it's funny that you mentioned that 2003, but it's not. There's nothing funny about TSwift. 2003, one day you'll have to explain how this miscreant got chased off the ESPN message board. Either in public or mail me. Wow, you two are f***ing sick. I can go online at the game using a phone, would you like me to do attendance reports from now on?
July 15, 200719 yr Author The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median.
July 15, 200719 yr The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median. Willis hasnt been convicted of anything yet. Let the courts decide if he's guilty or not first before we talk about it like its a conviction.
July 15, 200719 yr Author The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median. Willis hasnt been convicted of anything yet. Let the courts decide if he's guilty or not first before we talk about it like its a conviction. :lol :lol :lol :lol HE PEED IN THE GODDAMN STREET WITH A CAR IN THE MEDIAN. I don't care what happens from here on in, man was smart and refused a breathalizer so he can't have the book thrown at him, he was OBVIOUSLY impaired. He's a stupid and selfish SOB, and that's the case for anyone who gets behind the wheel when not completely in control of himself.
July 15, 200719 yr I'd like to see this: Alfredo Hermida Hanley Cabrera Uggla Willingham Hammer Olivo That sounds like a pretty strong lineup, and I"m one of the few people that prefers Hanley hitting 3rd. We just need to tell him to do the same thing he's doing at leadoff, and not try too hard. Take your pitches, wait for the hanging slider or curveball. Steal some bags. Shadez is best leading off enough with wanting to see him hit 3rd, we lose a lot because Hanley is our best basestealer. Amezaga is just an occasional base stealer, their OBP don't even compare. Because hanley has good power doesn't mean he is better off hitting 3rd in th lineup
July 15, 200719 yr You know, it's funny...people boo Dontrelle yet Olsen the Wonderboy gets away scott free.... Olsen is 1-1 with an 8.32 ERA his last three starts.
July 15, 200719 yr The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median. Willis hasnt been convicted of anything yet. Let the courts decide if he's guilty or not first before we talk about it like its a conviction. :lol :lol :lol :lol HE PEED IN THE GODDAMN STREET WITH A CAR IN THE MEDIAN. I don't care what happens from here on in, man was smart and refused a breathalizer so he can't have the book thrown at him, he was OBVIOUSLY impaired. He's a stupid and selfish SOB, and that's the case for anyone who gets behind the wheel when not completely in control of himself. Festa and I have clearly outlined why he should not be booed by the hometown fans. And you discount everything we said with "he peed in the street". Ever since you've been on this Jihad against Willis you have become really annoying. Lets just drop it and talk baseball.
July 15, 200719 yr You know, it's funny...people boo Dontrelle yet Olsen the Wonderboy gets away scott free.... Olsen is 1-1 with an 8.32 ERA his last three starts. Maybe its because Olsen doesn't make $ 4 + million and hasn't ever shown that he can win 22 games in a year. Expectations for Olsen are no where near that of Dontrelle.
July 15, 200719 yr Hermida has shown his potential in small spurts this season, there is a lot of reason to believe he will end up being a very above average player. Dontrelle on the other hand has only had two winning seasons with a winning record, is 19-20 in his last two seasons, and every year but 05 has gotten worse in terms of hits and walks allowed. There is plenty of reason to believe 2005 was just a career year for Dontrelle. In 2003, his ROOKIE YEAR, he went 14-6 and didn't even get called up until May, where he started off 11-2. Oh yeah he won ROY. So yeah, lets just throw that year away and keep hoping Hermida will be our savior. By the way, I like Hermida, but he hasn't proven anything yet.
July 15, 200719 yr Author The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median. Willis hasnt been convicted of anything yet. Let the courts decide if he's guilty or not first before we talk about it like its a conviction. :lol :lol :lol :lol HE PEED IN THE GODDAMN STREET WITH A CAR IN THE MEDIAN. I don't care what happens from here on in, man was smart and refused a breathalizer so he can't have the book thrown at him, he was OBVIOUSLY impaired. He's a stupid and selfish SOB, and that's the case for anyone who gets behind the wheel when not completely in control of himself. Festa and I have clearly outlined why he should not be booed by the hometown fans. And you discount everything we said with "he peed in the street". Ever since you've been on this Jihad against Willis you have become really annoying. Lets just drop it and talk baseball. It's all about point of view. Since Dontrelle driving drunk seems to be semi-excusable by you, I'd suspect anything even remotely bordering on criticism comes across as pissy. I talk baseball, and somehow I'm a racist. I talk about the foolish notion that this is a guy you want to hitch your wagon to on and off the field, and I get lambasted by the usual jokers. I want Dontrelle to do well, but I feel I'm beyond allowed to call it like I see it, and what I see is a player who doesn't deserve to be called a role-model, and a player who isn't producing. Drinking and driving is the most selfish stupid thing you can do, and a pitcher who can't throw strikes consistently is a detriment to a team. That covers all the bases, yet I guess it's annoying.
July 15, 200719 yr The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median. As I said he is human and made a mistake. God forbid a human being make a mistake. The incident has been forgotten because of Willis' record in the community. If that's the basis for all this deep hate you have for Willis I urge you to seek some professional assistance.
July 15, 200719 yr The players know when they're playing like crap and they don't need to be reminded by the fans who purportedly root for the team they play for. The players know the fans don't like sh*tty play. I never booed the Almanzas, the Bones, or the Loopers, they knew they sucked and I didn't see the need to remind them. Is there anything more disrespectful as a fan, short of shouting obscenities, than booing a player? Probably not. There is nothing wrong with criticizing a player's performance. Isn't this what this message board is for? Dontrelle didn't deserve any of the boos that were directed at him. Besides the various on-field accomplishments, Willis has represented the franchise, the city, and the state with high class. He conducts himself on an off the field the way we wish more athletes and more of humanity would conduct themselves. I'm not saying he's perfect, he is human afterall, but he is a role model. Just because he gets more attention than Miguel and Ramirez doesn't mean he needs to get booed and dragged through the mud when he fails. It isn't his fault the fans fell in love with him in 2003 because he played a child's game with the passion and intensity of a child. Boo the Barry Bonds, AJ Burnetts, and Gary Sheffields of sports who make their peers and the sport look bad. Dontrelle has done waaaaaay to much for the franchise and the community to be treated like sh*t. How soon some people forget. What's next, are we going to boo Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera if they hit .250 next year? Leave that sh*t to the Phillies and Yankees fans. Like peeing in the street? Seriously, no one has done nearly as reckless a thing off the field as Dontrelle (DUI's are a sin as far as I'm concerned...it's selfish and stupid). And yet, it's like it never happened. I'd love to see what would happen if ARod were to pee on Ocean Avenue with his car parked in the median. Willis hasnt been convicted of anything yet. Let the courts decide if he's guilty or not first before we talk about it like its a conviction. :lol :lol :lol :lol HE PEED IN THE GODDAMN STREET WITH A CAR IN THE MEDIAN. I don't care what happens from here on in, man was smart and refused a breathalizer so he can't have the book thrown at him, he was OBVIOUSLY impaired. He's a stupid and selfish SOB, and that's the case for anyone who gets behind the wheel when not completely in control of himself. Festa and I have clearly outlined why he should not be booed by the hometown fans. And you discount everything we said with "he peed in the street". Ever since you've been on this Jihad against Willis you have become really annoying. Lets just drop it and talk baseball. It's all about point of view. Exactly. And if Dontrelle Willis were on a team that is not the Florida Marlins, I'd be willing to bet TheDon's point of view would be different.
July 15, 200719 yr In 2003, his ROOKIE YEAR, he went 14-6 and didn't even get called up until May, where he started off 11-2. Oh yeah he won ROY. So yeah, lets just throw that year away and keep hoping Hermida will be our savior. By the way, I like Hermida, but he hasn't proven anything yet. As opposed to throwing away everything he's done minus the first 15 starts in 03 and his 05 season. Thats perfectly fine to do.
July 15, 200719 yr And, despite what it apparently sounded like on TV, Dontrelle did not get booed off the field. Some actually applauded him. They were booing like hell where I was sitting and I assumed most were applauding him being taken of the field. I just stayed quiet and angry at the crowd acting like this was Philly You wish this 3rd rate fanbase was as good as the Philly crowd....maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself when's the last time anyone showed emotion in that stadium? Ok, I went to the mirror, asked myself when the last time anyone showed emotion in DS, and realized that it was last night. While we don't pack the house, more often than not the fans here are full of emotion. I've heard many a baseball announcer mention that while we don't have alot of fans, the ones we have are great. That's first off. And I assume that you are from around Philly with a name like "FishFanInPA" and the pissy way you answered me, so you probably don't hear this next part alot, or you do and are in denial. Sports fans in Philadelphia are notoriously rude in every aspect at games. Probably the rudest in sports. Whether it is baseball, basketball, football, hockey, or even pro wrestling, they are known for being rude. Do they have passion? Sure, but what is the need in booing your own team and showing that passion in a negative way. I always show emotion at Marlins games. I am pure happiness when we win. I get gloomy when we lose. I cheer for everyone from Miggie to Hammer to Olivo to Eric Reed. And while I have seen some horrible things in the 22 home games I have been to this year(both JJ starts, horrible 9th inning pitching from Julio, yesterday's pitching effort), but I have never booed one of the Marlins players. And until I see a player show no effort while playing, I will never. No reason to treat one of your own guys like that when they just don't have it one day. So in summery: Fish fans have emotion. Fans in Philly are rude. Shhh.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.