Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The 8th Inning

Featured Replies

Also: when is this training staff addressed?

 

 

FWIW Samson on LeBatard's show yesterday said the team was evaluating the training staff.

Its about time some f***ing heads roll.

I'd prefer to start with Samson over anyone else.

 

Was wondering if someone else was going to pick up on that remark. The continuous Samson bashing that almost everyone on this board does and now he says something a poster likes, so...

With the game on the line, Fredi turns to a guy who is hitting .213 against RHP. Like I said in the GDT, this is the worst I've seen him manage.

 

So who did you want him to turn to?

Why turn to anyone? Hermida is hitting .250 against RHP.

It was a double switch

So why do you make that move? And why would you go to Ross? Hell, I'd rather have seen Linden then Ross against Julio.

 

And another thing: why the f*** do you pinch run for Wood with Borchard, forcing you to put Amezaga at first base? Terrible decision making.

 

Wow. That was quick. Ross was almost god-like just a week or two ago. Even heard this turn at the game. Holliday hits a nice gapper (nice AB, BTW) and a couple "fans" near us are blaming Cody for that. Now. I'm not as high on Cody as some WERE on this board, but that really had nothing to do with Cody. Or Bennie. Just a good plate guy showing his worth. Fecal matter occurs.

Hindsight making me the expert manager now... I finally got to see that cannon that Hermida has, even if it was a bit off line, and then he gets replaced with Ross out there? It being a double switch had more to do with the replacement (Cody now gets an AB because he moves into the 9 slot) but I didn't like the move. I think I would have preferred to see Borchard there. I think he has a far better arm and just maybe that sac fly dosen't equate to a run scored.

Fredi probably replaced Hermida with Hermida's deffensive problems in his mind.

The 8th inning should be Miller time, Justin lowered his ERA to under 2. He's earned owning the 8th inning so much more than Armando has.

 

However, this would probably just lead to games being blown in the 7th instead of the 8th. :confused

Even Tommy Hutton made a comment about Benitez. He was glowing about Amezaga and how it doesn't matter where you put him, he does his job and doesn't bitch and complain. And then he said, "And the same thing should apply to the bull pen. It doesn't matter which inning you're called upon to pitch. Get out there, do your job and shut up!"

 

Me loves Tommy Hutton..... :notworthy

Even Tommy Hutton made a comment about Benitez. He was glowing about Amezaga and how it doesn't matter where you put him, he does his job and doesn't bitch and complain. And then he said, "And the same thing should apply to the bull pen. It doesn't matter which inning you're called upon to pitch. Get out there, do your job and shut up!"

 

Me loves Tommy Hutton..... :notworthy

Are you or Tommy implying Benitez complained about something? When did Benitez complain about anything?

 

Has he pitched like crap? Absolutely. But I haven't heard of him complain about anything.. maybe I missed something but this has the feel of just kicking a guy when he's down.

 

It's obvious to most people that Benitez shouldn't be pitching anything other than mop-up duty but unless he's dogging it there's no reason to stomp on him.

 

The one who should be ripped is nice guy Fredi for throwing a reliever out there with games on the line when the reliever is struggling the way Benitez is right now.

Fredi probably replaced Hermida with Hermida's deffensive problems in his mind.

diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing

With the game on the line, Fredi turns to a guy who is hitting .213 against RHP. Like I said in the GDT, this is the worst I've seen him manage.

 

So who did you want him to turn to?

Why turn to anyone? Hermida is hitting .250 against RHP.

It was a double switch

So why do you make that move? And why would you go to Ross? Hell, I'd rather have seen Linden then Ross against Julio.

 

And another thing: why the f*** do you pinch run for Wood with Borchard, forcing you to put Amezaga at first base? Terrible decision making.

 

Wow. That was quick. Ross was almost god-like just a week or two ago. Even heard this turn at the game. Holliday hits a nice gapper (nice AB, BTW) and a couple "fans" near us are blaming Cody for that. Now. I'm not as high on Cody as some WERE on this board, but that really had nothing to do with Cody. Or Bennie. Just a good plate guy showing his worth. Fecal matter occurs.

Hindsight making me the expert manager now... I finally got to see that cannon that Hermida has, even if it was a bit off line, and then he gets replaced with Ross out there? It being a double switch had more to do with the replacement (Cody now gets an AB because he moves into the 9 slot) but I didn't like the move. I think I would have preferred to see Borchard there. I think he has a far better arm and just maybe that sac fly dosen't equate to a run scored.

For the record, I never maimed Cody Ross a God. Inserting him into a game against a RHP is completely stupid.

With the game on the line, Fredi turns to a guy who is hitting .213 against RHP. Like I said in the GDT, this is the worst I've seen him manage.

 

So who did you want him to turn to?

Why turn to anyone? Hermida is hitting .250 against RHP.

It was a double switch

So why do you make that move? And why would you go to Ross? Hell, I'd rather have seen Linden then Ross against Julio.

 

And another thing: why the f*** do you pinch run for Wood with Borchard, forcing you to put Amezaga at first base? Terrible decision making.

 

Wow. That was quick. Ross was almost god-like just a week or two ago. Even heard this turn at the game. Holliday hits a nice gapper (nice AB, BTW) and a couple "fans" near us are blaming Cody for that. Now. I'm not as high on Cody as some WERE on this board, but that really had nothing to do with Cody. Or Bennie. Just a good plate guy showing his worth. Fecal matter occurs.

Hindsight making me the expert manager now... I finally got to see that cannon that Hermida has, even if it was a bit off line, and then he gets replaced with Ross out there? It being a double switch had more to do with the replacement (Cody now gets an AB because he moves into the 9 slot) but I didn't like the move. I think I would have preferred to see Borchard there. I think he has a far better arm and just maybe that sac fly dosen't equate to a run scored.

For the record, I never maimed Cody Ross a God. Inserting him into a game against a RHP is completely stupid.

He wasn't inserted for his offense

With the game on the line, Fredi turns to a guy who is hitting .213 against RHP. Like I said in the GDT, this is the worst I've seen him manage.

 

So who did you want him to turn to?

Why turn to anyone? Hermida is hitting .250 against RHP.

It was a double switch

So why do you make that move? And why would you go to Ross? Hell, I'd rather have seen Linden then Ross against Julio.

 

And another thing: why the f*** do you pinch run for Wood with Borchard, forcing you to put Amezaga at first base? Terrible decision making.

 

Wow. That was quick. Ross was almost god-like just a week or two ago. Even heard this turn at the game. Holliday hits a nice gapper (nice AB, BTW) and a couple "fans" near us are blaming Cody for that. Now. I'm not as high on Cody as some WERE on this board, but that really had nothing to do with Cody. Or Bennie. Just a good plate guy showing his worth. Fecal matter occurs.

Hindsight making me the expert manager now... I finally got to see that cannon that Hermida has, even if it was a bit off line, and then he gets replaced with Ross out there? It being a double switch had more to do with the replacement (Cody now gets an AB because he moves into the 9 slot) but I didn't like the move. I think I would have preferred to see Borchard there. I think he has a far better arm and just maybe that sac fly dosen't equate to a run scored.

For the record, I never maimed Cody Ross a God. Inserting him into a game against a RHP is completely stupid.

He wasn't inserted for his offense

When you're trailing by a run, why do you make that move? If it was a blowout loss, maybe. But when you have a chance to win a game, thats a retarded move. Its just like I said in the other thread: Fredi Gonzalez doesn't put this team in a position to win games. And thats a problem.

With the game on the line, Fredi turns to a guy who is hitting .213 against RHP. Like I said in the GDT, this is the worst I've seen him manage.

 

So who did you want him to turn to?

Why turn to anyone? Hermida is hitting .250 against RHP.

It was a double switch

So why do you make that move? And why would you go to Ross? Hell, I'd rather have seen Linden then Ross against Julio.

 

And another thing: why the f*** do you pinch run for Wood with Borchard, forcing you to put Amezaga at first base? Terrible decision making.

 

Wow. That was quick. Ross was almost god-like just a week or two ago. Even heard this turn at the game. Holliday hits a nice gapper (nice AB, BTW) and a couple "fans" near us are blaming Cody for that. Now. I'm not as high on Cody as some WERE on this board, but that really had nothing to do with Cody. Or Bennie. Just a good plate guy showing his worth. Fecal matter occurs.

Hindsight making me the expert manager now... I finally got to see that cannon that Hermida has, even if it was a bit off line, and then he gets replaced with Ross out there? It being a double switch had more to do with the replacement (Cody now gets an AB because he moves into the 9 slot) but I didn't like the move. I think I would have preferred to see Borchard there. I think he has a far better arm and just maybe that sac fly dosen't equate to a run scored.

For the record, I never maimed Cody Ross a God. Inserting him into a game against a RHP is completely stupid.

He wasn't inserted for his offense

When you're trailing by a run, why do you make that move? If it was a blowout loss, maybe. But when you have a chance to win a game, thats a retarded move. Its just like I said in the other thread: Fredi Gonzalez doesn't put this team in a position to win games. And thats a problem.

Pretty sure this move happened when we were up 3-2

With the game on the line, Fredi turns to a guy who is hitting .213 against RHP. Like I said in the GDT, this is the worst I've seen him manage.

 

So who did you want him to turn to?

Why turn to anyone? Hermida is hitting .250 against RHP.

It was a double switch

So why do you make that move? And why would you go to Ross? Hell, I'd rather have seen Linden then Ross against Julio.

 

And another thing: why the f*** do you pinch run for Wood with Borchard, forcing you to put Amezaga at first base? Terrible decision making.

 

Wow. That was quick. Ross was almost god-like just a week or two ago. Even heard this turn at the game. Holliday hits a nice gapper (nice AB, BTW) and a couple "fans" near us are blaming Cody for that. Now. I'm not as high on Cody as some WERE on this board, but that really had nothing to do with Cody. Or Bennie. Just a good plate guy showing his worth. Fecal matter occurs.

Hindsight making me the expert manager now... I finally got to see that cannon that Hermida has, even if it was a bit off line, and then he gets replaced with Ross out there? It being a double switch had more to do with the replacement (Cody now gets an AB because he moves into the 9 slot) but I didn't like the move. I think I would have preferred to see Borchard there. I think he has a far better arm and just maybe that sac fly dosen't equate to a run scored.

For the record, I never maimed Cody Ross a God. Inserting him into a game against a RHP is completely stupid.

He wasn't inserted for his offense

When you're trailing by a run, why do you make that move? If it was a blowout loss, maybe. But when you have a chance to win a game, thats a retarded move. Its just like I said in the other thread: Fredi Gonzalez doesn't put this team in a position to win games. And thats a problem.

Pretty sure this move happened when we were up 3-2

I'm pretty sure it was in the bottom of the 8th. Even if it wasn't, you don't put Ross into a game "for his defense" in a one run game whether leading or trailing.

i foresee many more blown games by our bullpen due to dead arms that were very overused over the course of the season. fredi will start with the lefty-righty matchups in the 5th inning, thus using 6 pitchers in a normal game. he can not march out guys that many times and expect them to be good come the last 30 games of the season.

LEE GARDNER

LEE GARDNER

LEE GARDNER

LEE GARDNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Damn it, I thought you left and took your can of stupid with you.

Pretty sure this move happened when we were up 3-2

 

You are correct sir. It was a double switch. I assumed it was for a defensive upgrade with the lead in the later innings.

 

Regardless, this loss was Hermida's fault. Watch the replay. Hermida was CLEARLY making faces at Armando from the dugout.

 

:|

Pretty sure this move happened when we were up 3-2

 

You are correct sir. It was a double switch. I assumed it was for a defensive upgrade with the lead in the later innings.

 

Regardless, this loss was Hermida's fault. Watch the replay. Hermida was CLEARLY making faces at Armando from the dugout.

 

:|

So he gave up most of his protection at the bottom of the order with a one run lead.

Pretty sure this move happened when we were up 3-2

 

You are correct sir. It was a double switch. I assumed it was for a defensive upgrade with the lead in the later innings.

 

Regardless, this loss was Hermida's fault. Watch the replay. Hermida was CLEARLY making faces at Armando from the dugout.

 

:|

So he gave up most of his protection at the bottom of the order with a one run lead.

And yet if Hermida makes some kind of mistake in the 8th, the entire board explodes...

 

second guessing is fun

Pretty sure this move happened when we were up 3-2

 

You are correct sir. It was a double switch. I assumed it was for a defensive upgrade with the lead in the later innings.

 

Regardless, this loss was Hermida's fault. Watch the replay. Hermida was CLEARLY making faces at Armando from the dugout.

 

:|

So he gave up most of his protection at the bottom of the order with a one run lead.

And yet if Hermida makes some kind of mistake in the 8th, the entire board explodes...

 

second guessing is fun

And yet I'm usually one of the few defending Hermida.

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

 

He has been given 36 chances to "regress" yet it has not happened. How many chances does he need before you feel he is a good pitcher? 40? 50? next year? His history was in the American League on a very bad Toronto Team in a very tough division at a different position (starter). Hard to compare to what he is doing now. I am not saying I expect him to keep his ERA at 1.96, or his BAA at 200 but I am saying he has proved he is an above average bullpen pitcher.

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

 

He has been given 36 chances to "regress" yet it has not happened. How many chances does he need before you feel he is a good pitcher? 40? 50? next year? His history was in the American League on a very bad Toronto Team in a very tough division at a different position (starter). Hard to compare to what he is doing now. I am not saying I expect him to keep his ERA at 1.96, or his BAA at 200 but I am saying he has proved he is an above average bullpen pitcher.

yea, I need more than a year to make a guy a proven stud in my book

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.