Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The 8th Inning

Featured Replies

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

 

He has been given 36 chances to "regress" yet it has not happened. How many chances does he need before you feel he is a good pitcher? 40? 50? next year? His history was in the American League on a very bad Toronto Team in a very tough division at a different position (starter). Hard to compare to what he is doing now. I am not saying I expect him to keep his ERA at 1.96, or his BAA at 200 but I am saying he has proved he is an above average bullpen pitcher.

yea, I need more than a year to make a guy a proven stud in my book

 

I did not call him a stud either, just an above average bullpen pitcher. It takes several years to reach the "stud status". I just don't see him regressing as you say to his old stats.

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

 

He has been given 36 chances to "regress" yet it has not happened. How many chances does he need before you feel he is a good pitcher? 40? 50? next year? His history was in the American League on a very bad Toronto Team in a very tough division at a different position (starter). Hard to compare to what he is doing now. I am not saying I expect him to keep his ERA at 1.96, or his BAA at 200 but I am saying he has proved he is an above average bullpen pitcher.

yea, I need more than a year to make a guy a proven stud in my book

Holy sh*t, we somewhat agree on something! :o

he (Miller) doesn't need to be a stud as long as he gets the job done as he does every time he goes out there. I think benitez is too traumatized by having the balk/homer/walk off/loss/blown save happen to him and every time he goes out there he is worried that the same thing will happen again, which basically it does. Move Benitez to the sixth or seventh inning since our starters don't last long. Miller's problem is the same as Gregg's: blocked from his should be role by a big name player that is n't that good.

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

 

He has been given 36 chances to "regress" yet it has not happened. How many chances does he need before you feel he is a good pitcher? 40? 50? next year? His history was in the American League on a very bad Toronto Team in a very tough division at a different position (starter). Hard to compare to what he is doing now. I am not saying I expect him to keep his ERA at 1.96, or his BAA at 200 but I am saying he has proved he is an above average bullpen pitcher.

yea, I need more than a year to make a guy a proven stud in my book

 

I did not call him a stud either, just an above average bullpen pitcher. It takes several years to reach the "stud status". I just don't see him regressing as you say to his old stats.

 

Bullpen pitchers are notoriously the most inconsistent player's in baseball. With the exception of the elite closers who are kept free from difficult situations, and who generally come in in games that are next to impossible to lose, most relievers see massive fluctuations in their stats from year to year. This is because relievers are generally the less talented pitchers on a staff. If they were any better, they'd be starters.

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

He'll start regressing soon. But you have to ride him while he's hot.

 

He has been given 36 chances to "regress" yet it has not happened. How many chances does he need before you feel he is a good pitcher? 40? 50? next year? His history was in the American League on a very bad Toronto Team in a very tough division at a different position (starter). Hard to compare to what he is doing now. I am not saying I expect him to keep his ERA at 1.96, or his BAA at 200 but I am saying he has proved he is an above average bullpen pitcher.

yea, I need more than a year to make a guy a proven stud in my book

 

I did not call him a stud either, just an above average bullpen pitcher. It takes several years to reach the "stud status". I just don't see him regressing as you say to his old stats.

I agree with you that he should get the 8th. I just don't think he's going to do what he did in July in August.

I am not sure if this was posted...

 

Benitez's role: Armando Benitez had a closed-door meeting with Gonzalez on Friday, and it appears the veteran will be handling a different bullpen role.

 

Benitez suffered the loss on Thursday, giving up two runs in the eighth inning. He entered the game trying to preserve a one-run lead.

 

Since being dealt from the Giants to the Marlins on May 31, Benitez is 2-4 with a 6.29 ERA. He has been tagged with three of his five blown saves while with Florida.

 

When asked before Friday's game about Benitez's role, Gonzalez was non-committal.

 

Justin Miller is a likely candidate to see more eighth-inning action. And depending on the situation, Tankersley could work the eighth in matchups with certain left-handed hitters.

 

flamarlins.com

I am not sure if this was posted...

 

Benitez's role: Armando Benitez had a closed-door meeting with Gonzalez on Friday, and it appears the veteran will be handling a different bullpen role.

 

Benitez suffered the loss on Thursday, giving up two runs in the eighth inning. He entered the game trying to preserve a one-run lead.

 

Since being dealt from the Giants to the Marlins on May 31, Benitez is 2-4 with a 6.29 ERA. He has been tagged with three of his five blown saves while with Florida.

 

When asked before Friday's game about Benitez's role, Gonzalez was non-committal.

 

Justin Miller is a likely candidate to see more eighth-inning action. And depending on the situation, Tankersley could work the eighth in matchups with certain left-handed hitters.

 

flamarlins.com

 

What an a**hole. He should've pushed Armando on the ground when he was on the mound last night and kicked him in the ribs. Fredi doesn't do anything right.

 

When will Fredi get it? Talking to players behind closed doors and making decisions and not making an ass of himself in front of the media is no way to manage a team...

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

 

You are really an idiot, you know that?

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

 

You are really an idiot, you know that?

while I think Miller is a bit of an imposter this year, don't be tooting your horn on his first terrible outing all year...

 

you're just setting yourself up to be quoted like no other on his next good outing

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

 

You are really an idiot, you know that?

while I think Miller is a bit of an imposter this year, don't be tooting your horn on his first terrible outing all year...

 

you're just setting yourself up to be quoted like no other on his next good outing

 

I was trying to lighten the mood.

lee gardner!!!!

DIE DIE DIE DIE! No, don't. I was kidding. But seriously...are you little Timmy Gardner or something?

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

 

You are really an idiot, you know that?

while I think Miller is a bit of an imposter this year, don't be tooting your horn on his first terrible outing all year...

 

you're just setting yourself up to be quoted like no other on his next good outing

Bobbob doesn't strikes me as someone who doesn't care much about what other people think. :D

I'm really worried that Justin Miller is going to get the 8th and just flame out miserably...

 

You are really an idiot, you know that?

while I think Miller is a bit of an imposter this year, don't be tooting your horn on his first terrible outing all year...

 

you're just setting yourself up to be quoted like no other on his next good outing

Even if he pitches well in his next outing, I'll still say this: He should have been dealt.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.