Marlins Forgoing Mechanical Roof?

rduffy

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I think it would go a long way in keeping fans out of the rain, but what about the oppressive summer heat? I'm not sold on this.

Also, why aren't any other papers reporting it?

To save costs, Miami-Dade County officials say they are considering a retractable "sail" design like the Rays proposed earlier this month.

"The design of (the Rays') ballpark is intriguing to say the least, in particular the manner in which the roof will be designed and constructed," a county executive wrote in a memo to the Miami-Dade County Commission.

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/12/14/State/Ma...ns_may_no.shtml

CapeFish, is this accurate?

The sail roof ain't happening here in Miami.

The team has been adamant about a real, retractable roof from the beginning. The problems down here are more than just the sun beating down on the fans. We have to deal with the heat, the humidity, and most importantly, the threat of rain every summer afternoon as well as the actual rain itself. A partial sail roof may protect the fans from getting wet but the game would be delayed or postponed since it would not cover he playing field.

The team has been adamant about a real, retractable roof from the beginning. The problems down here are more than just the sun beating down on the fans. We have to deal with the heat, the humidity, and most importantly, the threat of rain every summer afternoon as well as the actual rain itself. A partial sail roof may protect the fans from getting wet but the game would be delayed or postponed since it would not cover he playing field.

Thats not true.

You think theyd really consider a roof that had some sort of enormous hole in the middle that only allowed water to fall all over the field???? Is that what you think? The roof they're talking about isnt just an oversized umbrella that hangs over the fans.

in the renditions i've seen, there will be a transparent canopy type thing extending from the sail roof to the pole in center field.... thereby protecting the field and the fans from rain.

heres a link to electronic renditions of tampa bays stadium: http://www.majorleaguedowntown.com/VideoImages.aspx?q=play

Guest iFesta Touch

Earlier this year there was talk of a "compromise" in terms of the roof that had various members of this board, including myself, guessing as to what it could be. So is this it?

I don't think so. Renditions of a ballpark at the Government Center site were drawn up earlier this year by HOK. Although they were never released I heard the compromise for fitting the ballpark on such a small site involved suspending the roof over other buildings in the area.

Thats not true.

You think theyd really consider a roof that had some sort of enormous hole in the middle that only allowed water to fall all over the field???? Is that what you think? The roof they're talking about isnt just an oversized umbrella that hangs over the fans.

Is that "sail" going to withstand a hurricane. Please excuse my asking but I am in Chicago and it seems like 120 mph wind would not be good on a sail.

Thats not true.

Is that "sail" going to withstand a hurricane. Please excuse my asking but I am in Chicago and it seems like 120 mph wind would not be good on a sail.

I'm sure they'd take it down in the event of a hurricane.

in the renditions i've seen, there will be a transparent canopy type thing extending from the sail roof to the pole in center field.... thereby protecting the field and the fans from rain.

heres a link to electronic renditions of tampa bays stadium: http://www.majorleaguedowntown.com/VideoImages.aspx?q=play

That thing has "stuck orange Kevlar Olympic Stadium roof" written all over it! The roof at Montreal's old Olympic Stadium was supposed to be retractable. The orange Kevlar roof was supposed to fold up like an "upside down/inside out" umbrella into the inclined observation tower adjacent to the stadium. It worked only ONCE! It got stuck halfway up the lines. Once it was "freed" they lowered it and it was never opened again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.