Sanchez won't be ready to open spring training

Sanchez won't be ready to open spring training

By JOE CAPOZZI

Palm Beach Post Staff Reporter

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

JUPITER ? The Marlins might have to wait a little longer than they had hoped for the return of right-hander Anibal Sanchez.

Sanchez, who made just six starts last year after winning 10 games and throwing a no-hitter as a rookie in 2006, said he will begin a throwing program Monday, a key step in his comeback from shoulder surgery that ended his season in June.

But it's a first step. Although the Marlins had hoped he could compete for a rotation spot this spring, Sanchez said Tuesday at Roger Dean Stadium that he is not even sure when he'll be able to throw at full strength.

"I came here early because I'm still doing rehab. But I will not be ready for (the start of) spring training,'' said Sanchez, who was working on conditioning exercises with strength and conditioning director Paul Fournier.

Sanchez said he will start throwing Monday from 45 feet, working his way to 75 feet. Extending the distance will depend on how his shoulder feels.

Asked if he anticipated being able to pitch competitively at some point this spring, he said: "I don't know yet. I will start throwing Monday and see how I feel.''

Sanchez, who nursed a sore shoulder last off-season, hasn't pitched since May 2, when he allowed three runs in 31/3 innings in a loss to the New York Mets. He was optioned to Class AAA Albuquerque and put on the disabled list May 7, sparking a dispute that led Sanchez and the players' union to file a grievance against the team July 31.

They contended that the Marlins knew he was injured when he was demoted, a violation of the collective bargaining agreement. Sanchez wanted compensation for pay lost while on the DL. If he had been paid under terms of his major-league contract, he argued, he would have made some $200,000 more.

A spokesman for the union said Tuesday the grievance has not been resolved. But Sanchez, who was angry about the demotion, said he holds no hard feelings.

"I don't have a problem with the team,'' he said.

Sanchez, who was 2-1 with a 4.80 ERA last season before having surgery June 22, has bounced back from injury before.

As a Boston Red Sox prospect, he missed the 2003 season after having nerve-transposition surgery on his right elbow.

He recovered successfully and was traded to the Marlins in the Josh Beckett deal in November 2005. As a Marlins rookie, he went 10-3 with a 2.83 ERA after a June promotion. The highlight was his no-hitter against the Diamondbacks on Sept. 6, 2006.

So his history gives him cause for optimism.

"Anything can happen," he said. "I had the surgery in 2003 and (then) had a good season.

"I want to prepare for this year. I want to be OK. I don't want to be on the DL anymore. I just want to feel better."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_0116.html

From Marlins website - Frisaro's take - a bit different:

"MIAMI -- Anibal Sanchez is not rushing his return to the Marlins' rotation. Sanchez underwent surgery to his right shoulder last season, and the right-hander says it is doubtful that he will be fully ready once Spring Training begins next month.

"I came here early because I'm still doing rehab," Sanchez told the Palm Beach Post. "But, I will not be ready for [the start] of Spring Training."

A native of Venezuela, Sanchez is one of several Marlins players who are already getting some work done at the team's Spring Training complex at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, Fla.

Acquired from Boston after the 2005 season as part of the Mike Lowell-Josh Beckett trade, Sanchez enjoyed a strong rookie season in 2006. The 23-year-old went 10-3 with a 2.83 ERA in '06, and tossed the fourth no-hitter in Florida history when he blanked Arizona, 2-0, on Sept. 6 of that year.

But in 2007, Sanchez entered Spring Training experiencing shoulder problems. He opened the season as the Marlins' No. 3 starter, but he made just six starts, going 2-1 with a 4.80 ERA.

In June, he had surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews to repair a torn labrum.

Sanchez plans to begin light throwing sessions on Monday, and from there he hopes to gradually build up to being ready for the season. The Marlins are hopeful that Sanchez will rejoin the rotation sometime in '08."

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=fla

With Sanchez out, we're looking at a possible duel between VandenHurk and Hendrickson for the No. 5 spot in the rotation. I hope Rick can step it up this spring because I don't want Hendrickson anywhere close to being a regular starter in a young rotation that already has 2 lefties.

Jesus, with the 810,000 pitchers we have coming into spring training camp I think we can afford to have the guy very slowly work his way through active rehab. June is okay too Anibal, only this time don't hide the fact you're hurting if you are. We want you, we need you back, but healthy.

It is better to use a guy like Hendrickenson as the fill-in until Sanchez is completely healed.