Economic Crisis

all black marlins hat

It was a bipartisan act of treason.

A majority of House Republicans voted nay.

I know, I have seen the votes. A lot of Democrats voted nay too. It was far from a normal vote, however. I'm not pointing fingers at one party, it is just stupid to do so and it's part of the problem.

A majority of House Republicans voted nay.

I know, I have seen the votes. A lot of Democrats voted nay too. It was far from a normal vote, however. I'm not pointing fingers at one party, it is just stupid to do so and it's part of the problem.

It's not stupid, it's fun.

This is not a democrat vs republican issue. This is a politician vs the American people issue.

:thumbup exactly.

At this point, I am rooting for Obama to win the election. Why? Because we are about to go through one of the worse four year periods in United States history, and my hope is that people will stop and say hmm...That George W. Bush guy was a republican, he sucked. Ok...well we voted in a Democrat and we have a democratic congress...and wow...things are horrible. Hmm...maybe something isn't right with this two party political system, we need to think outside the box, not rely on government to solve problems and do something different.

This might be the only way to bring about change once the people open their eyes and stop being so partisan either way. Republican, Democrat...doesn't matter. We need to drastically reduce the size of Government and return power to the people.

I am not as scared of McCain winning as it is that once he dies (which i believe he WILL die when in office) that we will have President Palin. That has got to be the scariest thought i have ever heard. I don't agree with McCain on many issues, and Obama is very weak on his stance on Foreign Policy, but I really think of it in terms of who would you rather have as President, Obama for 4 years, or McCain for 2 and the other two is Palin? In that respect, the choice is quite obvious

sorry, I got off track, as for the economic issue at hand, i agree with BosnianBaller, we are screwed either way. I trust Obama to correct things more than i trust McCain

I won't disagree that the Dems blew it, although they can now take credit if the economy makes a sudden rebound in the next 6 mo-1 yr (not counting on it).I'm sure there will be a debate question Tuesday as to why both candidates voted for the bill. I await their answers.

I think the likely scenario is they will start getting the blame for the economy in 2 years because it will not be turned around for some time and they will have complete control of the government with substancial majorities is the house and senate .

I won't disagree that the Dems blew it, although they can now take credit if the economy makes a sudden rebound in the next 6 mo-1 yr (not counting on it).I'm sure there will be a debate question Tuesday as to why both candidates voted for the bill. I await their answers.

I think the likely scenario is they will start getting the blame for the economy in 2 years because it will not be turned around for some time and they will have complete control of the government with substancial majorities is the house and senate .

Oh probably.

This is not a democrat vs republican issue. This is a politician vs the American people issue.

:thumbup exactly.

At this point, I am rooting for Obama to win the election. Why? Because we are about to go through one of the worse four year periods in United States history, and my hope is that people will stop and say hmm...That George W. Bush guy was a republican, he sucked. Ok...well we voted in a Democrat and we have a democratic congress...and wow...things are horrible. Hmm...maybe something isn't right with this two party political system, we need to think outside the box, not rely on government to solve problems and do something different.

This might be the only way to bring about change once the people open their eyes and stop being so partisan either way. Republican, Democrat...doesn't matter. We need to drastically reduce the size of Government and return power to the people.

I'm inclined to agree. A failed Obama presidency (guaranteed) will hopefully tell the American people that they have been fooled by this false prophet that resulted in no change whatsoever and actually lowered their quality of life. A lost election for McCain will hopefully tell the Republican Party that they need to stop being so liberal.

Please do not speak ill of my prophet. His eyes and voice control is all I need. Not even the eternal brilliance of el penguino, whose logic and boundless IQ defeat any and all who stand in his way will stop the messiah.

If you have the time, I would suggest you watch this video. I Googled several things stated in this video and they were right. To my knowledge, nothing was edited for the sake of the video. I found this video very interesting.

Great video unfortunately most of us don't care one bit about the government regulations and lack of oversight that caused the mortgage problem. But hey, Nancy Pelosi instructed Barney Frank to hold hearing on how to fix the problems going forward so we have nothing to worry about.

10/03/2008, the day your government panicked and sold you out.

Yeah, pretty much. :thumbdown

Let me add that it was overwhelmingly Democrats that panicked and sold you out. :thumbup

The act of treason was the government's actions that led to the creation of the mortgage mess and the Democrats get the overwhelming share of that blame.

Your intelligent response was most appreciated.

Ever since Obama voted for this monstrosity, you all have been suspiciously quiet. Since you have a tendency to compulsively defend every one of Obama's positions (right or wrong), I am anxious to hear how you will try to talk your way out of this one.

As a side note, are there any leftist posters here who have not resorted to personal attacks against me?

Talk my way out of what? I support the plan.

I don't profess to be an expert on economic policy, but clearly people have different angles on why they oppose it. Some people are principally against the idea of government intervention, or principally against the nationalization of losses(the two principle conservative angles), or principally against government aiding wall street vs. the homeowners(the principle liberal angle). These two opposing ideologies have been united on this issue because they stubbornly stick with their respective principles. I'm not in either camp. Pragmatism is more important than principle, which is why I am ok with the plan, which is why I have no problem with Obama and McCain voting for it.

The other angle is the economist argument that this is actually bad for the country, ie the debate in pragmatism. I don't profess to know a lot about economics. But I know enough to understand that the credit markets are freezing because of the bad mortgages, that these bad mortgages are hurting the economy, and that the effect could start a cyclical disaster. By itself, I wouldn't support the policy on my own theory of how things work and merely the word of the banking industry. But enough people whose opinion I respect, who don't make recommendations based on self-rightouesness and personal greed, say this plan is necessary. So I'm ok with going with it.