So here's a mini news blast for you

Marlins2003

...in the Dominican Winter League?

That would be right field.

When he's not DHing which is about two times a week, he's out in right field. He and Anderson Hernandez are both on Licey and I was trying to figure out over 22 or so games how they could both have about 90 at bats. The answer is Hernandez is the 2nd baseman and Bonifacio the right fielder.

Say what you will, but I went back about 10+ games in the box scores to confirm it wasn't a one-nighter and he's their regular right fielder. I then started checking just weekend box scores into October, same thing except before that he was playing either center or right field. He played a couple of games at second to start the season with Hernandez at SS and then Hernandez takes over at 2nd and Bonifacio goes to the outfield.

Kinda makes you wonder...

You heard it here first.

Fantastic, moving him to a position that demands even more of the power he is missing.

Personally, it's just me but I've never been a Stalinist when it comes to this thing about where your power hitters ought to play defensively. Over the years I've seen way too many exceptions but I understand your point. And it may just be either a logjam on the Licey team or the plan is for Bonifacio, if he makes the team, perhaps part of his role is fourth outfielder.

Pure speculation.

So?

What is that supposed to mean? It's Marlins related news about a player we just acquired.

It's supposed to mean I think (or at least hope) that this is irrelevant.

If Emilio Bonifacio is our starting RF'er on Opening Day...it'd be pretty sad.

There is nothing irrelevant in a team, even if it's not a starter. If Amezaga is traded, are you going to say "so"? When we signed Wes, did you reply "so"? When we decided on our 4th OFer, I assume your reply will be "who gives a sh*t".

This gives us an idea of Bonifacio's versatility.

So?

What is that supposed to mean? It's Marlins related news about a player we just acquired.

It's supposed to mean I think (or at least hope) that this is irrelevant.

If Emilio Bonifacio is our starting RF'er on Opening Day...it'd be pretty sad.

There is nothing irrelevant in a team, even if it's not a starter. If Amezaga is traded, are you going to say "so"? When we signed Wes, did you reply "so"? When we decided on our 4th OFer, I assume your reply will be "who gives a sh*t".

This gives us an idea of Bonifacio's versatility.

Well, when I read the original post, I felt as if Marlins2003 was kinda implying that this was a sign the team would trade Hermida (and I know Marlins2003 is not very high on Hermida). It seems as if he's implying that this could mean that Bonifacio would become a starter.

I'd have no problem if he's an Amezaga clone, however.

Well, Erick it "could" mean that, only time will tell but it really wasn't my intention to say Hermida was about to moved. The national press is doing that already.

I found it fascinating sh*t because it was the last thing I expected to find when I realized both guys were on the same team and were both getting at bats.

For the record, if you actually read my thread starter you'd know this isn't something that happened around the time he was traded, Bonifacio was already playing the outfield weeks before the deal went down.

There is no way they are considering Emilio to start in RF. I can live with Bonifacio or Amezaga as the 5th OF, but 4th also makes me angry.

C - Baker / (Rabelo)

1B - G. Sanchez / McPherson / Helms

2B - Uggla / Bonifacio / Amezaga

SS - Hanley / Amezaga / Bonifacio

3B - Cantu / McPherson / Helms

LF - Ross / X / Bonifacio

CF - Maybin / Ross / Amezaga

RF Hermida / Ross / Bonifacio

If someone comes out and tells me McPherson (or Cantu) can play LF and satisfy X on the depth chart above, I will be more than happy taking these 13 players into camp.

There is no way they are considering Emilio to start in RF. I can live with Bonifacio or Amezaga as the 5th OF, but 4th also makes me angry.

C - Baker / (Rabelo)

1B - G. Sanchez / McPherson / Helms

2B - Uggla / Bonifacio / Amezaga

SS - Hanley / Amezaga / Bonifacio

3B - Cantu / McPherson / Helms

LF - Ross / X / Bonifacio

CF - Maybin / Ross / Amezaga

RF Hermida / Ross / Bonifacio

If someone comes out and tells me McPherson (or Cantu) can play LF and satisfy X on the depth chart above, I will be more than happy taking these 13 players into camp.

Rabelo?

Anyways...I thought you said you felt Amezaga wasn't coming back after the Bonifacio move. You think Amezaga's staying?

I'm don't speak spanish so when I find stuff it either has to be in english or I try to decipher what one of the awful online translators converts the story into. If I remember Miguel Cabrera was (Miguel) the goat herder :D

There very well could be something on the Licey website or in their game notes that indicates why he's out there, or could shed some light on this. Perhaps someone else fluent in spanish could check it out.

I'm don't speak spanish so when I find stuff it either has to be in english or I try to decipher what one of the awful online translators converts the story into. If I remember Miguel cabrera was the Miguel the goat herder :D

There very well could be something on the Licey website or in their game notes that indicates why he's out there, or could shed some light on this. Perhaps someone else fluent in spanish could check it out.

What's the site?

I can't really find an article on his position change, although right now...Bonifacio is hitting the ball really well. He and D'Angelo Jimenez supposedly led Licey to victory last game. Bonifacio went 3-4.

Anyways...I can't really find anything on the position change.

Hanley looks different on the front page with the Licey uniform, btw.

Anyways...I thought you said you felt Amezaga wasn't coming back after the Bonifacio move. You think Amezaga's staying?

Then Beinfest comes out during the EB press conference and is talking all about AA. I think this organization doesn't need to spend money on Cantu and Amezaga, but I'm not in charge.

Seems to me there are better ways to spend $6 millionish dollars in payroll.

or the plan is for Bonifacio, if he makes the team, perhaps part of his role is fourth outfielder.

Pure speculation.

I don't think it's speculation, I think it's a reasonable inference these jokers in the front office think they can go into the year with EB and Amezaga as the 4th and 5th outfielders.

I'm praying to god they have a card up their sleeve with McPherson or Cantu being able to play some LF. If either of them can do it, we're totally set and just need the backup catcher.

Then Beinfest comes out during the EB press conference and is talking all about AA. I think this organization doesn't need to spend money on Cantu and Amezaga, but I'm not in charge.

As I said Lou...it seems this front office is taking this whole speed / defense thing to the extreme.

I still don't think that Cantu is staying, but we'll see.

As I said Lou...it seems this front office is taking this whole speed / defense thing to the extreme.

I still don't think that Cantu is staying, but we'll see.

They knew ahead of time that EB played some outfield because he did it for the Nats a few times. That's why I was thinking they would trade Amezaga.

I just don't have a bead on what Beinfest is up to. Maybe he was talking up Amezaga to make him more attractive.

The other interesting thing is that Logan Morrison is playing LF in the AFL. He is not ready to play it at the Major League level but I believe they think his bat is going to be ready soon, especially if he lights it up in AA. And he definitely projects to have more power at that position than say a John Raynor. So they may be thinking about Amezaga as someone they could be flexible with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.