Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OFFICIAL Marlins Winter Meeting thread

Featured Replies

Marlins fielding teams interested in Andino

 

Pirates possible but nothing seems to be anywhere close..

 

Robert is out of options btw

 

thats why they call it the 'hot stove' right?

 

if anyone wants to give us something (anything) for Andino I say take it.

A low-key trade is in the works that would have the Marlins sending infielder Robert Andino to the Pirates for possibly infielder Brian Bixler. A source familiar with the negotiations say that deal could get done before the Winter Meetings end.

 

Andino, a second-round pick in 2002, is a natural shortstop who is blocked by All-Star Hanley Ramirez. He's out of options. Bixler is a Minor League shortstop who played in 50 games for Pittsburgh in 2008.

 

If the Pirates don't part with Bixler, the Marlins would likely seek a low-level pitching prospect.

 

-- Joe Frisaro

A low-key trade is in the works that would have the Marlins sending infielder Robert Andino to the Pirates for possibly infielder Brian Bixler. A source familiar with the negotiations say that deal could get done before the Winter Meetings end.

 

Andino, a second-round pick in 2002, is a natural shortstop who is blocked by All-Star Hanley Ramirez. He's out of options. Bixler is a Minor League shortstop who played in 50 games for Pittsburgh in 2008.

 

If the Pirates don't part with Bixler, the Marlins would likely seek a low-level pitching prospect.

 

-- Joe Frisaro

 

 

What about Paulino?

I thought these reports were going to be insider reports. :rolleyes:

I've been reading what's been said on this thread, on the internet. I want my money back!

 

Where are the actual updates from the winter meetings? CTMarlinsFan?????????? :confused

I thought these reports were going to be insider reports. :rolleyes:

I've been reading what's been said on this thread, on the internet. I want my money back!

 

Where are the actual updates from the winter meetings? CTMarlinsFan?????????? :confused

 

Oh comeon don't be so harsh poor guy. :thumbdown

I will be reporting on Marlins acton here if I can find stuff out. Other stuff will be going in the general MLB section.

 

Erick,

 

CTs statement about posting inside information was clearly conditional on him being able to find things out. Its not like Beinfest is strolling around looking for people to share "inside information" with.

 

So let me ask you: Whats is more ridiculous? The fact that he hasnt heard anything worth posting?

 

OR

 

the fact that you were apparently naive enough to think that his presence in Vegas would

 

a) somehow cause the Marlins to suddenly make deals

 

AND

 

b) automatically provide CT with an opportunity to hear about it before the press does, even though they are also in vegas and break reports for a living.

 

:thumbup

Yea. Give the guy a break. He said he was there looking for a job and would pass something on if he heard it. It's not like he is constantly on these boards, making 100's of predictions and if one comes true then expects everyone to consider him some kind of genius. Or is constantly showing he thinks he knows far better than the FO or coaches what should be done to help this team. He's a kid looking for work in this crappy economy, and I wish him luck.

 

BUT...Hey CT...Hunt down Beinfest, kick him in the butt, and tell him to get us Salty!!! :lol

I thought these reports were going to be insider reports. :rolleyes:

I've been reading what's been said on this thread, on the internet. I want my money back!

 

Where are the actual updates from the winter meetings? CTMarlinsFan?????????? :confused

 

drunk, passed out, out of money and lost :cool

Hey everyone! I am checking in from LAS VEGAS site of the 2008 Winter Meetings. I have already lost over $100, but I'm not here to gamble, so I'm going to stop while I'm behind.

 

Over the course of the next 3 days (I have to leave town Wednesday night to attend to personal matters) I will be posting from the meetings in this thread. I will be reporting on Marlins acton here if I can find stuff out. Other stuff will be going in the general MLB section.

 

 

Enjoy!

 

 

I will be reporting on Marlins acton here if I can find stuff out. Other stuff will be going in the general MLB section.

 

Erick,

 

CTs statement about posting inside information was clearly conditional on him being able to find things out. Its not like Beinfest is strolling around looking for people to share "inside information" with.

 

So let me ask you: Whats is more ridiculous? The fact that he hasnt heard anything worth posting?

 

OR

 

the fact that you were apparently naive enough to think that his presence in Vegas would

 

a) somehow cause the Marlins to suddenly make deals

 

AND

 

b) automatically provide CT with an opportunity to hear about it before the press does, even though they are also in vegas and break reports for a living.

 

:thumbup

 

No one expects your a) and b) to happen. Of course they wouldn't happen - not to mention, a) makes no sense. He wouldn't need to be the catalyst in the Marlins making deals in order for him to get information....

 

However, I bolded the key portion of CT's post. He said he would post info from the meetings. Meanwhile, he hasn't made a posting since the first night of the meetings. Also, he has given virtually zero information. And that is absolutely fine. But if you aren't going to actually keep up with this thread and post updates (however futile your attempts to garner info may have been), then don't make open a thread and make such a post in the first place. He didn't even keep his promise to post "from the meetings," let alone finding out any interesting information.

The Marlins are still reportedly looking at trading for Max Ramirez, with Ryan Tucker and Aaron Thompson coming up as possibilities to go to Texas.

The Rangers would only get one of the two, but either would be a decent haul for Ramirez, a player who probably isn't in their long-term plans. The Marlins might be the only team out there that sees Ramirez as a catcher.

Source: Hot Stove Blog

I personally think it's really cool that CT is at the winter meetings that's someone a lot of us would love to be around, let the guy enjoy it because you know you'd be talking about it if you had the chance.

I personally think it's really cool that CT is at the winter meetings that's someone a lot of us would love to be around, let the guy enjoy it because you know you'd be talking about it if you had the chance.

 

Fair, but I would just say "Yay, I'm at the winter meetings. I hope I run into a couple of baseball guys and maybe I'll end up with something interesting to say." The guy raised expectations (albeit not by a huge amount), and he failed to come through, seeing as he hasn't even posted since monday afternoon/evening.

  • Author

ok stop flaming me folks. I got in off a red eye last night and I am cranky. Here is the deal. I went to the Bellagio for 2 nights and I got to see a few GMs and players, media ect...

 

We stayed at the Hilton, home of the minor league meetings, so any information I did end up getting would have probably already been posted. Plus, it's Vegas, so I kinda spent my time living it up a bit.

 

In other news, my friend got a job!!! 2nd radio for the Daytona Cubs

Some of you took this a little too seriously.

I wasn't bashing CTMarlinsFan...I was, sort of, being sarcastic, and apparently failed. I know it can't be easy to get insider info like this (although he did kinda imply it, but w/e)...I think it's cool that he got to be there; I would've loved to have that experience.

  • Author

Some of you took this a little too seriously.

I wasn't bashing CTMarlinsFan...I was, sort of, being sarcastic, and apparently failed. I know it can't be easy to get insider info like this (although he did kinda imply it, but w/e)...I think it's cool that he got to be there; I would've loved to have that experience.

I had no idea how tough, but ow much fun it would be!

Recap:

 

Deals done: Some scenarios were explored, but no deals got done.

 

Rule 5 activity: In the Major League phase, the Marlins selected lefty reliever Zach Kroenke from the Yankees' Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre club. In the Triple-A phase, Florida picked shortstop Ryan Klosterman from Toronto, along with right-handed pitchers Brett Harker and Ronald Hill. Both were in the Phillies' system. The lone player the Marlins lost was lefty Matt Yourkin, taken by the Giants.

 

Goals accomplished: Before reaching the Winter Meetings, the Marlins accomplished many of their objectives. Three trades before the Meetings aligned the roster with the payroll, reducing the urgency to make any trades in Vegas. The team now continues to explore possible deals that make sense. If it doesn't, it will stay the course until Spring Training.

 

Unfinished business: Adding catching depth continues to be a tiresome process. The lack of quality catching throughout the league, and the cost to acquire it when there is some, makes it difficult for the club to secure a complement for Baker. Now that Treanor has been released, the club should intensify its search.

 

Bottom line: "It will probably be quiet from here through the holidays. Basically, we're the same as everybody else. We'll go home, do our paperwork [Friday] and spend next week in the office, cleaning up and following up." -- Beinfest

 

From the MLB website.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.