Andy Gonzalez and Graham Taylor outrighted

Nny

What it means: Both are off the 40 man roster.

One of those would have been for Nick Johnson.

So we're currently sitting on a 39 man 40 roster.

Which most likely means they cleared a spot for someone to fill in the #5 spot.

Could also mean a position player gets called up, but unlikely. The only one I could see that happening for is Morrison, and no real reason to do it that I see. The only place he'd be is the OF, and at that point, why call up Morrison now when there's Maybin and Carroll already on the 40 man roster in AAA?

So, very likely #5 rotation starter.

Biggest probability is Clay Hensley.

Willie Collazo and Jarret Santos are also options but most likely Hensley. Has MLB track record and is doing well in NOLA.

Could also be precursor to trade or waiver claim though.

I personally think it is West again. I think a lefty in the rotation is extremely important.

West is already on the 40 man. So, unless it's for a position player, which is very unlikely, it's not west.

o_O, I'm surprised West wouldn't be an option. Going with an all righty rotation is something that worries me.

I personally think it is West again. I think a lefty in the rotation is extremely important.

West is already on the 40 man. So, unless it's for a position player, which is very unlikely, it's not west.

o_O, I'm surprised West wouldn't be an option. Going with an all righty rotation is something that worries me.

West could still be our 5th starter, but what Nny is saying is that he is not the mystery roster spot.

I think Willie Collazo would be an intersting add...he has been pitching well in AAA and is a local talent having played at FIU (not that it matters that he is local), but he has put up good numbers and is also a lefty so it is definetly an option to add him as the No. 5 guy....he last picthed 8/3, so lets see what happens with that spot.

West could still be our 5th starter, but what Nny is saying is that he is not the mystery roster spot.

I understand what he is saying, I'm just saying that I believe West becomes the 5th starter. The guy who is added to the 40 man roster is a mystery imo, but it could easily be a hitter considering our current lack of batters on the roster.

Well, the mystery roster spot basically has to be the 5th starter if it's a pitcher. There's plenty of bullpen arms we could call up, there's -0- reason DFA taylor to add a different bullpen arm when there's plenty of options right now. PLus that would then put us on a 14 man staff if we call up both west and a bullpen arm. So, whoever is added to the 40 man roster is the #5 pitcher.

I read somewhere on my phone that Pavano had cleared waivers or someone thought he would clear waivers or _____________ I don't know and I'm not saying lets go get him but it isn't lost on me his relationship with Loria (who advised him throughout his negotiations with the Yankees) and the fact that however mediocre he may be right now there's something to be said for experience and changing leagues vs some kid who looks like a deer caught in the headlights after giving up back to back doubles. Of course it's the incentive dollars that kill you with him perhaps some deal that could be worked out with Cleveland where they absorb some of those dollars by getting a better prospect back in return. If you want to see an incentive-laden contract check out Pavano's at Cots, it's scary.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

As nny has said elsewhere, why Taylor over C. Martinez? or De Aza? Or who knows. That's an interesting DFA. It's not like we are lefty rich to even give away the bad ones. They must really think low of him.

Secondly, if Pavano really has cleared, the Marlins should offer to pay his base (about $500k) and have Cleveland pick up the incentives (a little over $2 mil assuming 10-12 more starts). That's a good trade off if I were negotiating. Cleveland gets to save around $350,000 (still have to pay pro-rated minimum to someone else), and will get some prospect back. I'm guessing a Tucker/Leroux/etc, which isn't that horrible. Even if the Marlins have to pick up a few of the incentives, probably worth it to get a few better innings down the stretch. Keeping Pavano on their team is idiotic as they don't control his rights past this year. Unlike other trade targets, like Ian Snell whose rights are controlled past this year and is young enough to rebound where it was obvious Pittsburgh would get a solid package back and not have to eat salary in the process, Pavano's only worth to Cleveland at this point is to save money or bring something back. His innings are worthless to them, as they don't even have to worry about limiting other younger pitchers innings. It's a good idea to try and get him, and I'm sure the Marlins are/have been in contact with Cleveland to try and make it happen.

I read somewhere on my phone that Pavano had cleared waivers or someone thought he would clear waivers or _____________ I don't know and I'm not saying lets go get him but it isn't lost on me his relationship with Loria (who advised him throughout his negotiations with the Yankees) and the fact that however mediocre he may be right now there's something to be said for experience and changing leagues vs some kid who looks like a deer caught in the headlights after giving up back to back doubles. Of course it's the incentive dollars that kill you with him perhaps some deal that could be worked out with Cleveland where they absorb some of those dollars by getting a better prospect back in return. If you want to see an incentive-laden contract check out Pavano's at Cots, it's scary.

But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Yeah, I believe the issue during the trade deadline came down to the fact that we didn't want to take on his contract, and Cleveland didn't want to pay him to play for us.

I also don't think we really have what it takes. I imagine Tucker would be the best piece but if the Marlins deemed him untouchable for Manny would they trade him now? I mean, it's been a year since and Tucker has battled injuries since.

I think Thompson would have been our best piece, Cleveland supposedly has been seeking ml or close to it ready SP and Thompson was really our only valuable asset in that since that wouldn't take away from the ML club (Like RVH, West, or Miller basically do). I mean, I'm sure we could entice them with something, I just think we lost our best piece to do it.

As nny has said elsewhere, why Taylor over C. Martinez? or De Aza? Or who knows. That's an interesting DFA. It's not like we are lefty rich to even give away the bad ones. They must really think low of him.

No De Aza because he'd be a FA if we did, we wouldn't retain him. I can only assume same for Martinez. That, or they want to keep Martinez after the year, as he'd be a MILB FA if not on our roster. And we still have control of Taylor for two more years I believe.

Because the player in question is irrelevant and adds no value to the organization. He is also easily replaceable by the large # of scrap heap players available every offseason.

News: From The Sports Xchange: Double-A Jacksonville LHP Sean West, who won his third consecutive start Monday, is in line to start for Florida on Saturday in Philadelphia. However, manager Fredi Gonzalez said the team won't name a starter until Friday. West has allowed seven runs and two walks while striking out 12 in 18 innings over his past three starts. He was optioned to Jacksonville on July 11 after going 3-4 with a 4.91 ERA in 10 starts for the Marlins.

I think West will come back up also I agree...

I also think its gonna be West. Lord knows Fredi loves to try and get those matchups and Philly sure does have a ton of lefties.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.