Bobby Cox to retire after 2010

furcalchick

this just coming out from the espn wire: bobby cox is retiring after next season. i personally think bobby should be gone after this year. he has been a great manager, gave us that 14 year run and a world series, but he has lost it the past few years. he probably cost us the playoffs with the screw ups in just the last month, with overworking/mismanaging the pen, not letting hansen starting the ninth in houston, bad starting lineups, etc. i would really like to remember him for the great times instead of these last few years where he has lost it and retire gracefully.

The Atlanta Braves say Bobby Cox will retire as manager after the 2010 season. The team says Cox agreed to a one-year contract extension for 2010, then will start a five-year consulting agreement to advise the team in baseball operations. Cox managed the Braves from 1978-81, switched to manage the Toronto Blue Jays from 1982-85, then returned to manage Atlanta in 1990.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-braves-cox&prov=ap&type=lgns

this just coming out from the espn wire: bobby cox is retiring after next season. i personally think bobby should be gone after this year. he has been a great manager, gave us that 14 year run and a world series, but he has lost it the past few years. he probably cost us the playoffs with the screw ups in just the last month, with overworking/mismanaging the pen, not letting hansen starting the ninth in houston, bad starting lineups, etc. i would really like to remember him for the great times instead of these last few years where he has lost it and retire gracefully.

The Atlanta Braves say Bobby Cox will retire as manager after the 2010 season. The team says Cox agreed to a one-year contract extension for 2010, then will start a five-year consulting agreement to advise the team in baseball operations. Cox managed the Braves from 1978-81, switched to manage the Toronto Blue Jays from 1982-85, then returned to manage Atlanta in 1990.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-braves-cox&prov=ap&type=lgns

No he didn't, you're not a playoff team.

You can't blame 2009 on Bobby. The team just wasn't that good.

You can't blame 2009 on Fredi, either.

The manager is never to blame for a season. No manager really makes that much of an impact b/c at the end of the day...it's about the players on the field. Still though, it is the manager's job to put his players in the best position to win night-in, night-out. Fredi's had at least a couple of games this year that = head-scratchers, and when I say "couple," I say it, nicely.

No he didn't, you're not a playoff team.

And the Rockies are?

You shouldn't let your hatred for the Braves drive you to say stupid things.

Stop being an idiot.

You think the Braves are a playoff team and that you've failed because of bad management or bad luck? Stop wearing brave colored glasses and face reality.

The Braves with the addition of Hanson, McLouth, LaRoche and Church and the addition by subtraction of Francoeur and now with Hudson back are a playoff caliber team.

Great. The same could be said for a lot of teams, including the Marlins.

The Marlins with the addition of Nick Johnson and the subtraction of Bonifacio from the everyday lineup...along with the fact that they no longer have bums like Graham Taylor and John Koronka in the rotation as they did in May, can be considered "playoff caliber."

At the end of the day, the Rockies are still the current wildcard leaders. The Braves are not.

The Braves with the addition of Hanson, McLouth, LaRoche and Church and the addition by subtraction of Francoeur and now with Hudson back are a playoff caliber team.

The Marlins with the addition of Nick Johnson and the subtraction of Bonifacio from the everyday lineup...along with the fact that they no longer have bums like Graham Taylor and John Koronka in the rotation as they did in May, can be considered "playoff caliber."

At the end of the day, the Rockies are still the current wildcard leaders. The Braves are not.

The current version of the Marlins are not a playoff caliber team.

The current version of the Marlins are not a playoff caliber team.

The month that is going to keep the Marlins out of the playoffs this year is the month they had the likes of Graham Taylor and John Koronka in the rotation. Yet, despite the horrendus 9-20 month of May, the team is still going to win mid-80's. You honestly don't think that Nick Johnson over Emilio Bonifacio for a whole season + not having to run out bums like Taylor and Koronka for a month doesn't equate to at least 4 or 5 more wins, leading us to 90+ wins this year? Really?

What is a "playoff caliber" team, anyways? The Marlins World Series team needed 88 wins to make the playoffs in '03. If the Marlins go 6-2 in these next 8 games...they get to the 88 number, despite the mess that was the month of May. That doesn't tell me that this team is far from being playoff caliber. It tells me that the competition is just stronger this year.

Erick -

I don't like our rotation at all. I think the Phillies and the current Braves are better. If you go position by position and the rotation between the the Marlins and Braves who would you pick? I would go with:

C - McCann

1B - LaRoche

2B - Uggla

3B - Chipper

SS - Hanley

LF - Coghlan

CF - McLouth

RF - Ross / Diaz - Even

SP - Jurrjens

SP - Johnson

SP - Vasquez

SP - Hanson

SP - Hudson

Erick -

I don't like our rotation at all. I think the Phillies and the current Braves are better. If you go position by position and the rotation between the the Marlins and Braves who would you pick? I would go with:

C - McCann

1B - LaRoche

2B - Uggla

3B - Chipper

SS - Hanley

LF - Coghlan

CF - McLouth

RF - Ross / Diaz - Even

SP - Jurrjens

SP - Johnson

SP - Vasquez

SP - Hanson

SP - Hudson

I think you seriously underestimated the Phillies here.

Howard over LaRoche

Utley over Uggla

I'd also go with Ibanez over Coghlan...and I'd say that Victorino is better than McLouth, as well.

Also...4 Braves in the rotation? I'd say at least one (if not both) of Cliff Lee/Cole Hamels belong in that rotation. Probably Lee.

Also, all things considered, I'm not too sure about Matt Diaz being in the same sentence as Cody Ross, when you factor in defense/versatility + the fact that Diaz has played the majority of his career, as a platoon guy, so I'd say his stats don't really tell the whole story. If he played everyday, I'd say his offensive stats would be similar to Cody's, and I'm not sure about Diaz' defensive statistics...but Cody can play all 3 outfield positions.

Still though, this wasn't really my point.

EDIT: Whoops. You said Braves and Marlins. I thought you were comparing all 3 teams. Sorry about that. I knew I had misread something b/c I know you're better than that, lol. My bad.

I think it will be difficult for the Marlins to finish above third next season. I don't have much confidence in the rotation sans Johnson. If he goes down, things will be catastrophic.

You don't figure the Marlins will have the money to improve the rotation. At the very most they will sign a sixth starter for cheap.

I think it will be difficult for the Marlins to finish above third next season. I don't have much confidence in the rotation sans Johnson. If he goes down, things will be catastrophic.

You don't figure the Marlins will have the money to improve the rotation. At the very most they will sign a sixth starter for cheap.

Food for thought on our rotation:

Our rotation has an ERA of 4.64. That is 10th in the NL. We have a RA of 5.09, a better representation of our staff, which is 13th in the NL. Not good.

The average ERA of a NL staff is 4.31. The average RA is 4.63. The average fip is 4.33.

However, we have a FIP of 4.21 (4.58 RA). That is 7th in the NL. Aka, above average. Our FIP to ERA difference is the highest in the NL, meaning our staff has likely been affected the most by luck/defense. tRA says the same story: it says we should have a 4.63 RA and a 4.26 ERA.

Ricky's bad year as well as our defense is likely almost entirely to blame for us being a below average staff. His tERA (which takes LD% into account, so does damage him rather than FIP which ignores it) is 4.26. That means that he's given up about 22 more runs than he "should" have. Our defense is at -24 runs by UZR. that's 46 runs. Which would then put us at a 4.56 RA, 4.16 ERA. Banking on Ricky not having a repeat (and based off how he's done since his call down, this shouldn't happen again) and our defense improving by Uggla being gone and shifting Coghlan, there's reason to be positive about with our rotation.

^something I posted awhile ago

Take it for what it's worth (was posted earlier in the month so numbers aren't what they are above now)

I can understand being concerned though, why is why I said to take it for what it's worth. It'd be one thing if Ricky really finished the season strong. But he has a 5.50 ERA last month and a 5.17 ERA this month. Volstad has shown -0- signs of keeping the ball in the park. Andrew continues to get hit hard (He has yet to finish a ML season with a LD% below 20%. 22% this year, jesus). West will only be a sophomore next season and this is his first season above A ball. RVH's first year of success and he still does not go deep into games. Anibal has been good but he's always an injury concern.

I'd rather be optimistic though. And I'm definitely not saying we have, like, a Braves staff, just that it could be above average as long as Ricky doesn't f*** up again and what exactly our defense does next year.

Food for thought on our rotation:

Our rotation has an ERA of 4.64. That is 10th in the NL. We have a RA of 5.09, a better representation of our staff, which is 13th in the NL. Not good.

The average ERA of a NL staff is 4.31. The average RA is 4.63. The average fip is 4.33.

However, we have a FIP of 4.21 (4.58 RA). That is 7th in the NL. Aka, above average. Our FIP to ERA difference is the highest in the NL, meaning our staff has likely been affected the most by luck/defense. tRA says the same story: it says we should have a 4.63 RA and a 4.26 ERA.

Ricky's bad year as well as our defense is likely almost entirely to blame for us being a below average staff. His tERA (which takes LD% into account, so does damage him rather than FIP which ignores it) is 4.26. That means that he's given up about 22 more runs than he "should" have. Our defense is at -24 runs by UZR. that's 46 runs. Which would then put us at a 4.56 RA, 4.16 ERA. Banking on Ricky not having a repeat (and based off how he's done since his call down, this shouldn't happen again) and our defense improving by Uggla being gone and shifting Coghlan, there's reason to be positive about with our rotation.

^something I posted awhile ago

Take it for what it's worth (was posted earlier in the month so numbers aren't what they are above now)

I can understand being concerned though, why is why I said to take it for what it's worth. It'd be one thing if Ricky really finished the season strong. But he has a 5.50 ERA last month and a 5.17 ERA this month. Volstad has shown -0- signs of keeping the ball in the park. Andrew continues to get hit hard (He has yet to finish a ML season with a LD% below 20%. 22% this year, jesus). West will only be a sophomore next season and this is his first season above A ball. RVH's first year of success and he still does not go deep into games. Anibal has been good but he's always an injury concern.

I'd rather be optimistic though. And I'm definitely not saying we have, like, a Braves staff, just that it could be above average as long as Ricky doesn't f*** up again and what exactly our defense does next year.

Call me crazy, but I still think this year has been a complete fluke for Volstad? How do you drastically become so bad at one thing, over the course of a year? He rarely ever gave up HR's before this year, now he's a machine at allowing HR's.

I mean, I can't believe he's truly this bad. Maybe somewhere in between?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.