Stats guru Bill James predicts big year for Marlins’ Gaby Sanchez

mystikol87

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2009/11/03/stats-guru-bill-james-predicts-big-year-for-florida-marlins-gaby-sanchez/

Boy, would it be HUGE for this team if Gaby could put up an .821 OPS.

If Gaby can start 125 games at 1B and hit .270/.350/.425, it's a huge win. If he goes over that, massive win.

As I've been saying for months, offense is going to be fine no matter what they do as long as they keep Hanley and two of Uggla/Cody/Cantu/N.Johnson.

Bill James certainly makes for good reading but he is not a genius by any means. I will believe that Sanchez is a player when I see it at the major league level. I hope James is right about Sanchez as that would really help out the offense of the Marlins.

lolwut?

Well, obviously he doesn't know anything about production. See that his predictions mention OPS?

Bill James certainly makes for good reading but he is not a genius by any means. I will believe that Sanchez is a player when I see it at the major league level. I hope James is right about Sanchez as that would really help out the offense of the Marlins.

lolwut?

Historically how good are his predictions about minor leaguers?

bad. His projections are always really high.

lolwut?

I don't know? And I'm not saying he's always right by any stretch, I'm just pointing out that to say "he is not a genius by any means" is ridiculous. For example, many scientists who we consider geniuses developed theories which ultimately didn't have tremendous predictive power when subjected to rigorous empirical testing. But that certainly does not mean that a person who helps an "academic" pursuit push so far in the right direction, even if their theories are not perfect, is not a genius.

lolwut?

He predicted Hanley would hit .304 with like a .920 OPS this season.

lolwut?

He predicted Hanley would hit .304 with like a .920 OPS this season.

That's rather anecdotal.

I think there is a better chance that Juan Pierre is the NL Home Run Champion

Than what? That Gaby Sanchez is an average 1B? This is a dumb post.

No, I think that Juan Pierre will be the NL Home Run Champion next season.

You people and misinterpreting posts.

There is no way Sanchez has a big year. His performance during 2009 spring training says otherwise.

I hope you're being sarcastic, because if you are that is a heck of a post.

I think that Sanchez has genuine hitting ability, even though he flaked out in ST whereas players like Bonifacio flaked out in the regular season, but I just really doubt the Marlins ability to be smart enough to get the best offensive players on the field come opening day. With Bonifacio, Coghlan, and possibly Morrison and Cantu, we've got some guys who could be moved around in order to put a good offense on the field with, considering that nobody in their possible positions should equal atrocious play of Bonifacio at third last year, will still probably be a passable defense. But as I indicated before, the Marlins wouldn't surprise me if they arranged things in such a way that a horrible offensive void like Bonifacio is in the lineup every day, accompanied by possible poor production from unproven and unheralded hitters like Carroll, and leave guys like Sanchez who could be legitimate hitters out of the lineup.

I don't really think that Sanchez is going to provide the type of production we could get out of the first base position. But considering we had Cantu and Ross Gload there for good amounts of last year, we can certainly afford to start Sanchez there if it means not having a void like Bonifacio in the lineup, leaving a Morrison or Cantu to play other positions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.