Marlins Sign Danny Richar

MillerTime

Marlins Sign Danny Richar

By Tim Dierkes [December 21 at 11:53am CST] The Marlins signed infielder Danny Richar to a minor league deal, tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Richar elected free agency after being outrighted by the Reds back in November. The 26-year-old hit .290/.330/.438 in 181 Triple A plate appearances this year. The second baseman had labrum surgery in July. He came to the Reds from the White Sox in July of '08 with Nick Masset in the Ken Griffey Jr. trade.

Well... ok.

I guess we have no faith in Coghlan at 2nd?

something wrong with 2B depth?

Thought thats what boner is for

If I were the team, I'd bring in as many alternatives to him as possible. Then beg, borrow, & steal a couple more. No matter what position he plays, his offense is bad enough to be replacement level and he simply doesn't have the skill to develop into better than that. And when you add in the shaky, boneheaded defense and the idiotic baserunning despite great speed, and it all adds up to him hardly being worth a job as a pinch runner, much less a guy you'd want getting starts if you're starter goes down.

Not that I really believe the organization will actually acknowledge these things about their golden-boy. They may have dimmed their outlook some, but its too much pride to swallow at much to give up on the guy that they believed in so heavily last year.

Well... ok.

If I were the team, I'd bring in as many alternatives to him as possible. Then beg, borrow, & steal a couple more. No matter what position he plays, his offense is bad enough to be replacement level and he simply doesn't have the skill to develop into better than that. And when you add in the shaky, boneheaded defense and the idiotic baserunning despite great speed, and it all adds up to him hardly being worth a job as a pinch runner, much less a guy you'd want getting starts if you're starter goes down.

Not that I really believe the organization will actually acknowledge these things about their golden-boy. They may have dimmed their outlook some, but its too much pride to swallow at much to give up on the guy that they believed in so heavily last year.

They have already implied that it will take a terrible spring for Bonifacio not to be starting and batting near the top of the lineup next year.

Well... ok.

They have already implied that it will take a terrible spring for Bonifacio not to be starting and batting near the top of the lineup next year.

They really haven't said that (actually have said he needs to improve in a couple areas of his game to make the team) but you can bet they are watching his progress in the Winter League very closely. A couple others as well. What I like is that they aren't going with their "golden-boy" as being the only option this year. There will be competion at 1B. More than just Gaby and Logan. Jimenez could also come into that mix. Seems as if they learned from last year and are covering their butts at the IF corners this time around, and quite possibly at 2B as well. And we still don't know what we will get in return for Uggla if he is traded. I read the Braves are interested in him for their OF, so I would have to wonder what they have in stock for 2B that may interest us in a package deal. I don't like trading within the division, but if a proposal came along that was too hard to pass up.........

They really haven't said that (actually have said he needs to improve in a couple areas of his game to make the team) but you can bet they are watching his progress in the Winter League very closely. A couple others as well. What I like is that they aren't going with their "golden-boy" as being the only option this year. There will be competion at 1B. More than just Gaby and Logan. Jimenez could also come into that mix. Seems as if they learned from last year and are covering their butts at the IF corners this time around, and quite possibly at 2B as well. And we still don't know what we will get in return for Uggla if he is traded. I read the Braves are interested in him for their OF, so I would have to wonder what they have in stock for 2B that may interest us in a package deal. I don't like trading within the division, but if a proposal came along that was too hard to pass up.........

Who's their "golden boy?"

I believe he is refering to Bonifacio

I believe he is refering to Bonifacio

From the paragraph, it seems like he's talking about Gaby Sanchez...

Actually they did say that Bob. In an article from just a week or so ago Beinfest talked about how much they loved his speed at the top of the lineup and he would be given every opportunity to win a starting job in ST.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.