BA's John Manuel Top 20 Prospects

MarlinsLou

3. Mike Stanton, OF, Marlins

Why he's here: No one in the minors combines Stanton's athletic ability and physicality with his sheer power.

What he'll be: Stanton is a bigger, stronger version of Marlins special assistant Andre Dawson. He has 40-homer potential and fits the right-field profile perfectly.

When he arrives: The Marlins haven't been shy about promoting prospects aggressively, but Stanton struggled a bit in Double-A last season. If he struggles at first in his first big league action in 2010, don't give up on him.

For the rest - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/12/23/top.prospects/index.html

In 2008, the overall BA top 20 had:

Cameron Maybin was # 8 overall. He graduated with to many plate appearances this season to be ranked. He would probably still be in the top 10 if not. Top 15 in a worst case scenario.

Mike Stanton was #16 last year.

Logan Morrison was # 18 overall. He fell out, presumably because of his injury and lack of power again. I would imagine he is somewhere in the top 50.

---

Personally, I think the writer is jumping the gun a little bit thinking Stanton will come up this year (September call up if anything). But nice to see him there.

For some reason I thought that was top 20 Marlins prospects (when I just saw the thread title) and was wondering why Stanton was 3rd. Then I realized it was top prospects in baseball and I was thoroughly impressed. In terms of ceiling, there is no doubt Mike belongs up there. But I do wonder what the chances are of him becoming a .230, 25 HR hitter as opposed to .270, 35 HR player and that keeps me from becoming too overly optimistic over a player that still has to prove himself at upper levels.

For some reason I thought that was top 20 Marlins prospects (when I just saw the thread title) and was wondering why Stanton was 3rd. Then I realized it was top prospects in baseball and I was thoroughly impressed. In terms of ceiling, there is no doubt Mike belongs up there. But I do wonder what the chances are of him becoming a .230, 25 HR hitter as opposed to .270, 35 HR player and that keeps me from becoming too overly optimistic over a player that still has to prove himself at upper levels.

My vision of Stanton is either he becomes Darryl Strawberry or he becomes Willie Mays/Andre Dawson type of player either way he will have a solid career. He will be a very good slugger or a HOFer. He has all the tools he just needs to cut out the Ks but most sluggers will strikeout a lot any way. Even if he became Reggie Jackson would that be so bad?

I think the way we have seen Stanton, that if he becomes Mark Reynolds 2.0, we should all be very happy. But we have seen Stanton since he joined the minors be really determined to fix things and to limit his problems, I think this year he's going to limit the amount of strikeouts he has and improves each week of the season.

I honestly believe Stanton will be a September call up this year, just to get a feel, then spend the beginning of '11 in AAA, and then he'll get the callup in probably June '11 to be the full time RFer.

I think we should all have high hopes of Stanton as a future Marlins player, he looks like a keeper and not a tease like Hermida was.

A big difference that I see between Hermida and Stanton is that the former was at times completely lackadaisical. What is strange is that when Hermida first came up during that 2005 stretch run he seemed to have a lot of competitive spirit. After that, I just never really saw any kind of fire from him and never saw him seem to care about his performance. Stanton doesn't seem to feel any kind of entitlement, he seems very humble and I imagine the type of player who is going to do his darndest to play to the best of his abilities. That is certainly encouraging.

My vision of Stanton is either he becomes Darryl Strawberry or he becomes Willie Mays/Andre Dawson type of player.....He will be a very good slugger or a HOFer... Even if he became Reggie Jackson would that be so bad?

lol

I mean, I hope you are right. But Reggie? WILLIE MAYS???? Stanton is a top 3 prospect - Willie was maybe one of the 3 greatest position players of all-time. This is definitely too ambitious.

If he can become Mark Reynolds with better fielding in RF, that would be great. Anything better is gravy. Willie Mays would be once-in-a-lifetime good.

My vision of Stanton is either he becomes Darryl Strawberry or he becomes Willie Mays/Andre Dawson type of player.....He will be a very good slugger or a HOFer... Even if he became Reggie Jackson would that be so bad?

lol

I mean, I hope you are right. But Reggie? WILLIE MAYS???? Stanton is a top 3 prospect - Willie was maybe one of the 3 greatest position players of all-time. This is definitely too ambitious.

If he can become Mark Reynolds with better fielding in RF, that would be great. Anything better is gravy. Willie Mays would be once-in-a-lifetime good.

Mike Stanton is a much more talented type of player than Reynolds who is just a farly decent power hitter Stanton is the real 5 tools player that package that you saw in Mays, Dawson, Dale Murphy and Bonds. I am not saying he is a guarenteed HOFer. He is a complete package player One of the few who does not come around very often. Strawberry was one of those but he never really worked hard at his craft and was better than many more others only because he oozed talent and had one of the prettiest swings ever seen. Most people can say he could have been so much more...

lol

Mike Stanton is a much more talented type of player than Reynolds who is just a farly decent power hitter Stanton is the real 5 tools player that package that you saw in Mays, Dawson, Dale Murphy and Bonds. I am not saying he is a guarenteed HOFer. He is a complete package player One of the few who does not come around very often. Strawberry was one of those but he never really worked hard at his craft and was better than many more others only because he oozed talent and had one of the prettiest swings ever seen. Most people can say he could have been so much more...

Mark Reynolds is a fairly decent power hitter?

lol

Mark Reynolds is a fairly decent power hitter?

Well he is not that bad of a hitter but 223 Ks. He however isn't Dave Kingman like hitter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.