Frustrated. Question about watching Marlins Games.

AeroFishOne

Ok, heres the deal.

In one the threads i posted in, a member posted that if you switch to Direct TV and get all the FSN's you can watch all the Marlins games anywhere in the country.

Well i decided to go with Dish network because they had the same package. Well im fighting dish now because evidentally i cant watch any of the hockey games because they all are blacked out. Supposedly this is how it is on all providers according to them. So now im pissed. Does anyone know if im going to be able to get the Marlins games?

Only one person mentioned Direct TV on this board and there is no ill will at all to them. I went with Dish because I have heard better things about it and the customer service, and the in laws have had it for 5 years.

Ahhh. I get it. Nothing wrong with going with what the in laws recommend.

I've had DirecTv since it was first offered in PBC, because of the NFL package primarily. This was before local stations were even offered. Over 10 years now. And I will say that up until just the last 3 years or so the customer service end of it was less than desireable. Especially if one of the repair guys had to come out. It was a guessing game with them. Replace this part and wait and see if it works, etc....... But they have gotten much, much better.

And I got the exact opposite from my in laws. They visited from out of state and my father in law went home and changed from Dish to DirecTv.

MLB TV (the online thing) is okay, but I would recommend getting MLB Extra Innings if you can spare the extra couple of bucks. Usually if you sign up for Extra Innings early enough you can save $30-$50 on the entire season.

MLB TV makes sense if you are frugal and/or travel alot and want to watch games on a laptop. They will also stream the games that aren't televised (a couple of those each year).

Personally I think the comfort of watching the games on TV (Extra Innings) is worth the extra money.

Can anyone confirm that the FSN package operates in this manner for all providers? I'm surprised that you only get access to the other FSN programs and not the games themselves. That seems like a raw deal.

I have cable and don't have the option of getting all of the FSNs but I have always been intrigued with the prospect of getting FSN Florida/Sun Sports without having to deal with Extra Innings.

Yeah evidentally Dish network and MLB got into price war so Dish doesnt carry Extra Innings or Mlb network. So it looks like im going to have to do the Internet thing. On the good side of things, I have an Iphone with the MLB:AT BAT app so it will let me watch the games on my phone as well as the internet. Im also just thinking of connecting my computer to the tv and watch the games on there.

We can't get that Extra Innings thing here but I just connect my laptop to my tv and watch the games on that with MLB.tv

It really is unbelievable value that I can watch as much baseball as I want for about the same price as 2 PS3 games.

I agree. Been using it for the past two years, and it's gotten better in that short time as well. The new interface is looking extremely promising. The only bad part about it all is the internet where I'm at right now (the on base one) sux major, but it's not so bad in the early morning (when the games will be on), so I should be just fine.

The biggest disadvantage with MLB.tv is the blacked out games, which can REALLY suck if you live in Florida, but can be annoying if you live anywhere else inside the US. I myself should be sitting dandy for the next few years, unless the extend that whole "Japan blackout" thing to cover Okinawa (which they didn't last year, so I'm crossing my fingers that they don't change that this year).

MLB TV (the online thing) is okay, but I would recommend getting MLB Extra Innings if you can spare the extra couple of bucks. Usually if you sign up for Extra Innings early enough you can save $30-$50 on the entire season.

MLB TV makes sense if you are frugal and/or travel alot and want to watch games on a laptop. They will also stream the games that aren't televised (a couple of those each year).

Personally I think the comfort of watching the games on TV (Extra Innings) is worth the extra money.

You could always hook your laptop/computer up to your TV. Still going to be lower quality, but if the thing is watching a tv v.s. watching a computer screen, that can easily be fixed.

Well appreciate the info but Imjust going to stick with it. It's way better the time warner cable and atleast I can watch replays and regular non game coverage.does anyone have experience with the MLB: At Bat or whatever the online package is called.

MLB Extra Innings. Yes I have it, and love it. During the season, you are virtually guaranteed a game during the day except on Tuesday's & Friday's unless the Cubs are playing, then you might get at least one game every day (daytime) of the week. The nightime you get at least 4 or 5 games every night except on Sunday night, when there is only one game and its on ESPN. But most nights you get about 7 or 8 games.

I work from my home and I love it. I can work and watch a ballgame practically every day. Wednesdays and Thursday afternoons there are usually 3 or 4 games on.

Blackout rules are funky. Depending on your market, they vary. I live in South Fla, so I get Marlins broadcasts, and the away team broadcasts are blacked out. But with say Seattle, I can watch either the Mariners broadcasters, or the say, Angels broadcasters if the two are playing. I can switch back and forth if I wish to do so. Over night replays are blacked out, except for the Marlins for some reason. I have called and asked why and they say its the rules of the FCC and MLB and to talk to them. And if the game is blacked out (the Saturday 6pm starts for instance) and the Marlins are not broadcasting it, we are still blacked out from seeing the opposing teams telecast. This one is one I don't understand. I get it that they want us to watch the Marlins local telecast for the adverts......no problem, I understand that. But if the Marlins aren't broadcasting the game on TV when does it hurt for me then to watch the other teams broadcast ???? The Marlins and the locals are not losing any revenue from my watching the other teams broadcast, so why the black out then ???? If you live outside of a major market, I believe you can watch all the games, but who knows, MLB might have carved up the whole country into teams territory and you get screwed living in Missoula, Montana and you are a Dodger fan and have to be forced to watch Rockies games since they are closer to you, even if its like about 1,000 miles away ! MLB does some fan unfriendly stuff when it comes to this black out stuff.

But overall I really love the MLB Extra Innings package. Its much better than the NFL Sunday Ticket, since the games are played at different times, instead at the same time.

At least for me its simple - buy MLB.tv and I am sorted for the year.

Same blackout rules are in effect for MLB.TV as they are for MLB Extra Innings. But silver lining if you are a Marlins fan and live, say in Chicago. While Chicago games will be blocked out for you but you will get to see EVERY Marlins game.

So the only ones that benefit are the out-of-town Marlins fans. Both MLB.TV or MLB Extra Innings is fantastic, and I have both, because often times I want to watch the Marlins game and another game at the same time. The Super Fan game mix channel is great as you can watch 8 games at once, but often times the Marlins were the odd game out on that channel as they are perceived as a team with less fans, and if you have say -- Mets vs Braves, Phillies vs Dodgers, St. Louis vs San Fran, Yankees vs Red Sox, White Sox vs Tigers, Twins vs Angels -- Marlins vs Nats is not going on that Super Fan channel.....no way. Same goes with KC, Cleveland the Pirates, they along with the Marlins are often not on the Super Fan channel when they play the Nats, Reds or TB.

Can anyone confirm that the FSN package operates in this manner for all providers? I'm surprised that you only get access to the other FSN programs and not the games themselves. That seems like a raw deal.

I have cable and don't have the option of getting all of the FSNs but I have always been intrigued with the prospect of getting FSN Florida/Sun Sports without having to deal with Extra Innings.

If you get the FSN package, you will be blacked out if you live out the area during the Marlins games. MLB makes sure all the games are blacked out if you don't have the Extra Innings package. With DirecTV you have to either get all the FSN's (26 or 27), plus they give you YES, MSG, and ALT (Colorado). However YES seems to blackout a lot of their programming other than the games. Sports South is a comcast station as are some of the others and they often blackout premium programming on those channels, such as ACC Baseball or SEC Baseball because they know you are a DirecTV subscriber and are even upfront about it. They don't want you to see that stuff unless you are a subscriber for Comcast. The cost of the extra FSN's is only $ 12 a month and you get about 30 channels in all, but many of them run the same programming at the same time on the FSN network, or repeat the same programs at different times during the same month. You do however get to see most of the other teams shows that are produced like our "Inside the Florida Marlins". That lets you see team stuff, albeit often flattering and self-serving, but you do get to see interesting stories on the players, managers and organizations from not only the Marlins but around the leagues.

Same blackout rules are in effect for MLB.TV as they are for MLB Extra Innings. But silver lining if you are a Marlins fan and live, say in Chicago. While Chicago games will be blocked out for you but you will get to see EVERY Marlins game.

So the only ones that benefit are the out-of-town Marlins fans. Both MLB.TV or MLB Extra Innings is fantastic, and I have both, because often times I want to watch the Marlins game and another game at the same time. The Super Fan game mix channel is great as you can watch 8 games at once, but often times the Marlins were the odd game out on that channel as they are perceived as a team with less fans, and if you have say -- Mets vs Braves, Phillies vs Dodgers, St. Louis vs San Fran, Yankees vs Red Sox, White Sox vs Tigers, Twins vs Angels -- Marlins vs Nats is not going on that Super Fan channel.....no way. Same goes with KC, Cleveland the Pirates, they along with the Marlins are often not on the Super Fan channel when they play the Nats, Reds or TB.

Being a fan across the pond means that absolutely every game is available to me on MLB.tv

And if the game is blacked out (the Saturday 6pm starts for instance) and the Marlins are not broadcasting it, we are still blacked out from seeing the opposing teams telecast. This one is one I don't understand. I get it that they want us to watch the Marlins local telecast for the adverts......no problem, I understand that. But if the Marlins aren't broadcasting the game on TV when does it hurt for me then to watch the other teams broadcast ???? The Marlins and the locals are not losing any revenue from my watching the other teams broadcast, so why the black out then ???? If you live outside of a major market, I believe you can watch all the games, but who knows, MLB might have carved up the whole country into teams territory and you get screwed living in Missoula, Montana and you are a Dodger fan and have to be forced to watch Rockies games since they are closer to you, even if its like about 1,000 miles away ! MLB does some fan unfriendly stuff when it comes to this black out stuff.

Are you certain that the opposing team is actually broadcasting the game without blackout?

I'm under the impression that those blackouts are a consequence of FOX having a contract with MLB specifying that they have sole ownership over broadcasting Saturday games that start before 7:05. The Marlins start their games before that time because they would rather start the Super Saturday concert earlier and sacrifice the ability for fans to watch the first hour of the game.

If the Marlins can't broadcast in that window, I don't see why the opposing team could. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just trying to understand the situation better.

I live outside of the South Florida market and Saturday blackout restrictions apply to me also.

I don't think that's true. I've had blacked out games on Saturdays before.

The greatest benefit is the one I mentioned earlier with MLB TV. Some games aren't televised at all so they set up a makeshift camera crew and stream the game anyway and combine it with the local radio feed.

If you have MLB TV outside of the Florida market you can watch radio-only games. There's only a couple of those each year.

Definitely get Extra Innings. I do that here in NoVA. I can't get DirecTV because of the location of my condo need the southern sky. Man I cannot wait for Marlins baseball. Kicking around the idea of heading to Miami for the opening series against LA. The freaking winter here in Buffalo, uh DC, has been brutal.

And if the game is blacked out (the Saturday 6pm starts for instance) and the Marlins are not broadcasting it, we are still blacked out from seeing the opposing teams telecast. This one is one I don't understand. I get it that they want us to watch the Marlins local telecast for the adverts......no problem, I understand that. But if the Marlins aren't broadcasting the game on TV when does it hurt for me then to watch the other teams broadcast ???? The Marlins and the locals are not losing any revenue from my watching the other teams broadcast, so why the black out then ???? If you live outside of a major market, I believe you can watch all the games, but who knows, MLB might have carved up the whole country into teams territory and you get screwed living in Missoula, Montana and you are a Dodger fan and have to be forced to watch Rockies games since they are closer to you, even if its like about 1,000 miles away ! MLB does some fan unfriendly stuff when it comes to this black out stuff.

Are you certain that the opposing team is actually broadcasting the game without blackout?

I'm under the impression that those blackouts are a consequence of FOX having a contract with MLB specifying that they have sole ownership over broadcasting Saturday games that start before 7:05. The Marlins start their games before that time because they would rather start the Super Saturday concert earlier and sacrifice the ability for fans to watch the first hour of the game.

If the Marlins can't broadcast in that window, I don't see why the opposing team could. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just trying to understand the situation better.

I live outside of the South Florida market and Saturday blackout restrictions apply to me also.

Maybe I should clarify that, yes the opposing team is also subject to the Saturday blackout, when we start at 6pm.

But the other games, that we blackout (maybe about 7 or 8 games a year) are usually broadcast by the opposing teams and are blacked out just as if the Marlins were broadcasting the game.

I still don't understand the Marlins not showing several away games every year. If I owned the team, I would make sure every away game is on the air. Is their some MLB broadcast rule as to how many away games must be "no TV" ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.