So, some somewhat surprising stats?

mystikol87

For the NL: We are above-average in BB, K, BAA.

10th in overall ERA, but our starters are 6th.

We're 9th in bullpen ERA, right around the NL average in IP and BB, and a little better on K.

Offensively: 7th in runs, 6th in BA, 9th in OBP, SLG, and OPS. Again, basically average.

Of course we are 1st in errors and are not very good defensively.

Just thought it was interesting to take note on an off-day. Our pitching has been pretty decent compared to expectations, and I'm sure the bullpens looks a whole lot better if you take out Veras' debacles. Of course, being so average makes sense considering we're a game over .500.

If our pitching can continue this pace, I think we could possibly make a run if our offense becomes top-5 as we expected it to be.

Excluding Jose Veras, our BP ERA is 3.68

Also, our SP are 4th in IP in the national league

Wow, the b**tard is responsible for .8 ERA roughly. We'd be 7th in bullpen ERA is we took him out.

I was listing overall innings pitched, but that's a silly stat (hey, I made another awesome alliteration!). It's really good to see our starters logging more innings.

I think the main complaint really is consistent pitching. Having a guy get shelled and then having a CG or near-cg performance is mind-nerving.

And while a lot has been made about our bullpen, we currently have four guys performing stellarly (Nunez, Hensley, Badenhop, Leroux), all with good results and peripherals. There's certainly some falling to earth to be had, i.e. Hensley's K rates, but still. You then have Pinto still being who he is. Wood is posting average peripherals and bad results, and Sanches is now back. The main thing really is who's going to be our second lefty?

Really, why this team is only a .500 team right now rests on our OF's shoulders. It's those three guys. We're not suppose to be an "average" offense, we should be a top-5 team at worst. Top-3 and no one's surprised. Having league average number's is not where our offense should be right now. Before the season, the motto was, if our pitching stepped up, we'd be contenders. Our pitching has stepped up, but we're a .500 team.

Outside of our OF, we have a .805 team OPS. I don't think it's obscene to say our OF should be producing in the upper 700's towards .800 OPS. We SHOULD be second in OPS only to the Phillies. But we're not.

We're talking about a difference of 20-some runs. That's two wins right there.

Take out Meyer and it's 3.03. Hard to play the splits like that, but that's 10% of the innings accounting for 40% of the earned runs. Not really good at painting the pen picture.

---

Badenhop 14 IP, 3.86 era, .93 whip, 13 K

Hensley 12.2 IP, 2.13 era, 1.26 whip, 21 K

We're talking about a difference of 20-some runs. That's two wins right there.

.430 OPS out of LF is pretty disappointing. Can't get mad at Maybin or Ross with that amount of suck happening.

Before the year if we said Maybin has 200 OPS points on Coghlan in May, I think we'd throw a parade.

Take out Meyer and it's 3.03. Hard to play the splits like that, but that's 10% of the innings accounting for 40% of the earned runs. Not really good at painting the pen picture.

---

Badenhop 14 IP, 3.86 era, .93 whip, 13 K

Hensley 12.2 IP, 2.13 era, 1.26 whip, 21 K

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.