5/19 Post Game

I dont really agree with that. Anibal's stuff is fairly average across the board, he gets by on location. When he isnt hitting his spots, he gets rocked.

And you are terrible Raul AND your mom cant cook worth a darn. BOOM.

You're half right, my mother is a fantastic cook.

Oh, and as far as Ani's stuff, what Erick said St. Claire said. Anyone who's really looking at their fastballs can see that Ani has the best movement on his. It's a great fastball. I agree that his other pitches are average though.

I dont really agree with that. Anibal's stuff is fairly average across the board, he gets by on location. When he isnt hitting his spots, he gets rocked.

Oh, and as far as Ani's stuff, what Erick said St. Claire said. Anyone who's really looking at their fastballs can see that Ani has the best movement on his. It's a great fastball. I agree that his other pitches are average though.

I don't know; I'm not going to question the pitching coach who sees him everyday, though. However, I think Josh Johnson has one of the best fastballs in the big leagues. Not just the velocity, but the movement, as well. He just becomes more fun to watch the more and more he pitches. It seems like Josh Johnson is getting better to me (and he was already great).

At their 100% best, there is no doubt in my mind that Ricky's the best among the starters.

Having said that, I think Anibal's fastball is deceptive (because of it's movement) and he throws 4 kinds of pitches for strikes. I wouldn't say any of his pitches are "out" pitches, but given the fact that he can throw a plus changeup, plus fastball, plus curve, and plus slider, that's why he does so well when he throws strikes. I don't think any of his pitches are below average. I think that keeps hitters very very honest when he's throwing his pitches for strikes.

As for the comment from Spike that Anibal locates his pitches well, that's not really very true until recently. He struggled with the strike zone last year, yet still managed an ERA below 4 precisely because when he does get hit he doesn't get rocked.

If Anibal stays healthy and pithces up to his capabilities, there is no reason to expect Anibal not to do very very well. It's just a matter of staying healthy for him, IMO.

I don't know; I'm not going to question the pitching coach who sees him everyday, though. However, I think Josh Johnson has one of the best fastballs in the big leagues. Not just the velocity, but the movement, as well. He just becomes more fun to watch the more and more he pitches. It seems like Josh Johnson is getting better to me (and he was already great).

I agree - JJ's getting better. His fastball is REALLY good and sets him his other pitches well. I think Ricky's secondary pitches are better (all of them), but Ricky's fastball is not as good as JJ's. If Ricky's fastball were 2-3 MPH faster or had better movement I think he would be a dominant starter pretty much every outing.

Anibal was absolutely outstanding however I voted for Hanley. Not really as Fish of the Game, more Fish of the Day for manning up and apologising (heartfelt or not) and getting back to baseball business.

Btw what did Minervini ask Hanley?

He tried 10 different ways to get Hanley to discuss the controversy/apology. And Hanley said that he apologized to his teammates and they've put it behind them. But that wasn't enough; Craig had to go back to the well for more. As I'm watching, I'm think "Enough already, Craig." But he kept going, and Hanley must have felt similarly, because he politely said "Thank you", and walked away.

And as I previously said, I absolutely cannot blame him.

Does anyone remember what Anibal's fastball routinely clocked in at the past couple years? It seems to me he's throwing the ball harder than he ever has (91-93 mph) making his offspeed stuff more effective... hence going depper into games. Cuz I can't remember the last time (if ever) he's gone back to back games where he's thrown 7 IP.

Also, could it be that his arm has finally fully repaired from the torn labrum surgery and this year he's actually been able to strengthen it up??

Does anyone remember what Anibal's fastball routinely clocked in at the past couple years? It seems to me he's throwing the ball harder than he ever has (91-93 mph) making his offspeed stuff more effective... hence going depper into games. Cuz I can't remember the last time (if ever) he's gone back to back games where he's thrown 7 IP.

Also, could it be that his arm has finally fully repaired from the torn labrum surgery and this year he's actually been able to strengthen it up??

That's certainly the hope. It's a really tough surgery to recover from, but maybe he has. I'd still like to see more K/9, but he has had 19 in his last 18.1 IP.