Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Brian Barden DFA'd, Donnie Murphy called up.

Featured Replies

Before it was Stanton, then we hear Morrison now it is Luna, who are we going to mention next., this is one of the reason i did not renew my season tickets.

Sun-Sentinel article--

 

Looking for offense

 

Utility player Brian Barden was designated for assignment following Friday's game.

 

Barden was a solid defensive player, but was hitting .179 (5 for 28) with 12 strikeouts.

 

Replacing Barden is infielder Donnie Murphy, who is making his first appearance with the Marlins after being called up from Triple-A New Orleans.

 

"I am looking for more offense than defense at that position. Donnie is more of an offensive player than Barden," Rodriguez said.

 

Murphy was hitting .277 with 12 home runs and 35 RBI with New Orleans, where Rodriguez was manager before replacing Fredi Gonzalez on June 23.

 

"I think he will bring not only power, but he is a better hitter than Barden," Rodriguez said.

 

"This is the most power I have ever had in a season so far. I felt good. I was comfortable," said Murphy, who hit .351 in spring training.

I'm praying that Morrison is on the way up, but I know that's most likely not going to happen.

 

 

 

A move that would make little sense. Logan is the 1B of the future, a position that isn't open right now because of Gaby's bat. And rightfully so. Logan is learning LF right now. You don't send down an IFer for an "OFer" that needs the every day ABs.

 

My guess is that if Barden being sent down is true, then Luna gets the call. Also opens a starting position at AAA for Barden to get his work in.

 

From what I remember of Luna in ST, his defense wasn't all that bad at a few IF positions, but his bat was lacking. Seems to have improved that.

 

How long do you actually expect Logan to be in AAA? Really? I know Gaby is 27, so what, 3 years? Your future 1B would be 25 then, Gaby 30. In any case, it's good to know if Gaby gets injured or traded years from now, you can plug in Logan.

 

Hey, would Marlins call up Logan in September? If he ain't called up by then.

 

First of all, it's not my 1B of the future. It's what the org keeps saying. If they keep this thinking then I would expect something to happen next ST. I will say that Logan has the far better glove even tho there has been improvement in Gaby's. But they keep saying "Pitching, defense, speed". Again, their words, not mine. But the national attention we have been getting is our defense sucks, rightfully so. Things are going to be done this off season to change that. Bet the farm on that. You gotta go by what they preach, not our own feelings of what they should do. So that would mean either Gaby needs to learn another position to keep his bat in the line up (much like what happened at The U) or he will be traded for some thing(s) to fill needs at that time. That's if Logan's bat is deemed ready next ST.

 

I would expect a Sept call up and give him a few starts, somewhere, to check him out and let him get a taste of the majors. Could be a start or two at 1B and say it is giving Gaby some much needed rest. Gaby's bat has him being mentioned for ROY, just like Cog's last season, so I wouldn't think they would want to jepordize that. And/or it could be some in the OF, mainly to see how he reacts to the pitching, It's going to be interesting to see how things work out.

Just watching Barden in spring training with playing time, I saw good at bats. Sure, doesnt always translate to the regular season, but I would have loved for him to get some more playing time. He is just not, as most batters, a good hitter off the bench getting one at bat every 10 days. But, I loved his glove. Watching him field and throw reminds me how a real good smooth inflielder looks-like the ones other teams have. I watch other teams turn double plays efficiently and with rythm and then I watch how almost every double play opportunity we have is an adventure. So, I have mixed feelings, I think Barden does need to go down to get PT or he is only a late inning defensive replacement and we do need a bench bat drastically.

 

 

 

Gotta agree with this entire post. Just bolded for another reason. Boni fits that also. I see no reason for either of these two at this level at this time. They need the every day ABs to get their work in.

 

But if you watched Barden in ST, you also saw Luna. Another slick IF glove that is currently being blocked at this level. What I saw of Luna in ST was lack of bat. Never did check his stats to see what he did when I wasn't at a game. And you are right, it dosen't always translate well to the regular season. But sometimes you can see if a player looks comfortable or not at the plate. That can be a determining factor.

Before it was Stanton, then we hear Morrison now it is Luna, who are we going to mention next., this is one of the reason i did not renew my season tickets.

 

 

You don't see the difference in the hoopla?

 

My season tickets for 2011 are now 2/3 paid off. I may not renew the full season for 2012, but it will be for far different reasons.

I'm praying that Morrison is on the way up, but I know that's most likely not going to happen.

 

 

 

A move that would make little sense. Logan is the 1B of the future, a position that isn't open right now because of Gaby's bat. And rightfully so. Logan is learning LF right now. You don't send down an IFer for an "OFer" that needs the every day ABs.

 

My guess is that if Barden being sent down is true, then Luna gets the call. Also opens a starting position at AAA for Barden to get his work in.

 

From what I remember of Luna in ST, his defense wasn't all that bad at a few IF positions, but his bat was lacking. Seems to have improved that.

 

How long do you actually expect Logan to be in AAA? Really? I know Gaby is 27, so what, 3 years? Your future 1B would be 25 then, Gaby 30. In any case, it's good to know if Gaby gets injured or traded years from now, you can plug in Logan.

 

Hey, would Marlins call up Logan in September? If he ain't called up by then.

 

First of all, it's not my 1B of the future. It's what the org keeps saying. If they keep this thinking then I would expect something to happen next ST. I will say that Logan has the far better glove even tho there has been improvement in Gaby's. But they keep saying "Pitching, defense, speed". Again, their words, not mine. But the national attention we have been getting is our defense sucks, rightfully so. Things are going to be done this off season to change that. Bet the farm on that. You gotta go by what they preach, not our own feelings of what they should do. So that would mean either Gaby needs to learn another position to keep his bat in the line up (much like what happened at The U) or he will be traded for some thing(s) to fill needs at that time. That's if Logan's bat is deemed ready next ST.

 

I would expect a Sept call up and give him a few starts, somewhere, to check him out and let him get a taste of the majors. Could be a start or two at 1B and say it is giving Gaby some much needed rest. Gaby's bat has him being mentioned for ROY, just like Cog's last season, so I wouldn't think they would want to jepordize that. And/or it could be some in the OF, mainly to see how he reacts to the pitching, It's going to be interesting to see how things work out.

If I had bet the farm on that every offseason they've said it I'd be down 3 farms.

 

Also, I still say in all likelihood they keep Gaby and is fine defense at 1B and put LoMo in LF (where he's started to get a decent amount of playing time recently). This is especially considering that we've got a decent shot of having an OF position or two open up in the next few months.

Sun-Sentinel article--

 

Looking for offense

 

Utility player Brian Barden was designated for assignment following Friday's game.

 

Barden was a solid defensive player, but was hitting .179 (5 for 28) with 12 strikeouts.

 

Replacing Barden is infielder Donnie Murphy, who is making his first appearance with the Marlins after being called up from Triple-A New Orleans.

 

"I am looking for more offense than defense at that position. Donnie is more of an offensive player than Barden," Rodriguez said.

 

Murphy was hitting .277 with 12 home runs and 35 RBI with New Orleans, where Rodriguez was manager before replacing Fredi Gonzalez on June 23.

 

"I think he will bring not only power, but he is a better hitter than Barden," Rodriguez said.

 

"This is the most power I have ever had in a season so far. I felt good. I was comfortable," said Murphy, who hit .351 in spring training.

 

 

 

Looking at Murph's numbers and Luna's numbers in AAA.......Looking at E-Rod's remarks as to why Murph got the call.....

 

What was he seeing while managing AAA that we can't see just looking at the numbers??

If Gaby's end of the year numbers are reasonably close to what they are now, I would expect the Marlins to rethink Morrison being the first baseman of the future. Gaby is an above average first baseman defensively, meaning he is far from a liability there if the Marlins are trying to improve the defense of the infield. Coghlan will probably move into the infield, depending on what is done with Uggla/Cantu, meaning that Morrison will be in LF until Gaby stops hitting.

 

The bottom line is that Gaby probably can't play another position. If he's hitting and is inexpensive during club controlled years, I would expect him to be playing first base.

I'm praying that Morrison is on the way up, but I know that's most likely not going to happen.

 

 

 

A move that would make little sense. Logan is the 1B of the future, a position that isn't open right now because of Gaby's bat. And rightfully so. Logan is learning LF right now. You don't send down an IFer for an "OFer" that needs the every day ABs.

 

My guess is that if Barden being sent down is true, then Luna gets the call. Also opens a starting position at AAA for Barden to get his work in.

 

From what I remember of Luna in ST, his defense wasn't all that bad at a few IF positions, but his bat was lacking. Seems to have improved that.

 

How long do you actually expect Logan to be in AAA? Really? I know Gaby is 27, so what, 3 years? Your future 1B would be 25 then, Gaby 30. In any case, it's good to know if Gaby gets injured or traded years from now, you can plug in Logan.

 

Hey, would Marlins call up Logan in September? If he ain't called up by then.

 

First of all, it's not my 1B of the future. It's what the org keeps saying. If they keep this thinking then I would expect something to happen next ST. I will say that Logan has the far better glove even tho there has been improvement in Gaby's. But they keep saying "Pitching, defense, speed". Again, their words, not mine. But the national attention we have been getting is our defense sucks, rightfully so. Things are going to be done this off season to change that. Bet the farm on that. You gotta go by what they preach, not our own feelings of what they should do. So that would mean either Gaby needs to learn another position to keep his bat in the line up (much like what happened at The U) or he will be traded for some thing(s) to fill needs at that time. That's if Logan's bat is deemed ready next ST.

 

I would expect a Sept call up and give him a few starts, somewhere, to check him out and let him get a taste of the majors. Could be a start or two at 1B and say it is giving Gaby some much needed rest. Gaby's bat has him being mentioned for ROY, just like Cog's last season, so I wouldn't think they would want to jepordize that. And/or it could be some in the OF, mainly to see how he reacts to the pitching, It's going to be interesting to see how things work out.

If I had bet the farm on that every offseason they've said it I'd be down 3 farms.

 

Also, I still say in all likelihood they keep Gaby and is fine defense at 1B and put LoMo in LF (where he's started to get a decent amount of playing time recently). This is especially considering that we've got a decent shot of having an OF position or two open up in the next few months.

 

LOL Point. They do keep saying it and then the field play dosen't reflect it.

 

As far as Logan in LF....It really wouldn't be a big surprise to me. Like I have continually said, Gaby's glove has gotten better. I would put him as average right now. It wouldn't be my preference because I like a real good glove at 1B, but it would be an acceptable alternative if his glove keeps progressing. I still don't think it's a long term solution, just temporarily acceptable.

 

That said...Would you have a problem with Gaby learning LF in the off season/ST and switching to let the better glove be at 1B?

If Gaby's end of the year numbers are reasonably close to what they are now, I would expect the Marlins to rethink Morrison being the first baseman of the future. Gaby is an above average first baseman defensively, meaning he is far from a liability there if the Marlins are trying to improve the defense of the infield. Coghlan will probably move into the infield, depending on what is done with Uggla/Cantu, meaning that Morrison will be in LF until Gaby stops hitting.

 

The bottom line is that Gaby probably can't play another position. If he's hitting and is inexpensive during club controlled years, I would expect him to be playing first base.

 

 

 

That's just an opinion, and not shared. But that's cool.

 

Why can't he play another position? Is he so nonathletic as to not be able to handle it? Explain that one, because I'm just not buying into it.

If I had bet the farm on that every offseason they've said it I'd be down 3 farms.

 

Also, I still say in all likelihood they keep Gaby and is fine defense at 1B and put LoMo in LF (where he's started to get a decent amount of playing time recently). This is especially considering that we've got a decent shot of having an OF position or two open up in the next few months.

 

 

LOL Point. They do keep saying it and then the field play dosen't reflect it.

 

As far as Logan in LF....It really wouldn't be a big surprise to me. Like I have continually said, Gaby's glove has gotten better. I would put him as average right now. It wouldn't be my preference because I like a real good glove at 1B, but it would be an acceptable alternative if his glove keeps progressing. I still don't think it's a long term solution, just temporarily acceptable.

 

That said...Would you have a problem with Gaby learning LF in the off season/ST and switching to let the better glove be at 1B?

I don't actually know that LoMo has the better glove (frankly, I don't really know much about LoMo's glove) so let's talk in hypotheticals. If LoMo's glove is better than Gaby... then no, I probably still don't do it. The main reason for this is that the Fish basically made their choice over the last couple seasons. They decided to have LoMo learn LF as to not have Gaby block him and not the other way around. This might have nothing to do with Gaby's 1B glove being better than Wolverine's, it might have everything to do with LoMo being more athletic and better at playing the OF. Really, I'm just trusting the Marlins on this one. They seemed to think this was the best move all around for the organization and I'm just assuming they made the right choice.

If Gaby's end of the year numbers are reasonably close to what they are now, I would expect the Marlins to rethink Morrison being the first baseman of the future. Gaby is an above average first baseman defensively, meaning he is far from a liability there if the Marlins are trying to improve the defense of the infield. Coghlan will probably move into the infield, depending on what is done with Uggla/Cantu, meaning that Morrison will be in LF until Gaby stops hitting.

 

The bottom line is that Gaby probably can't play another position. If he's hitting and is inexpensive during club controlled years, I would expect him to be playing first base.

 

 

 

That's just an opinion, and not shared. But that's cool.

 

Why can't he play another position? Is he so nonathletic as to not be able to handle it? Explain that one, because I'm just not buying into it.

It's not really an opinion when you're backing it up with numbers. But whatever.

 

Also, Gaby was TERRIBLE defensively at the hot corner, where there was a lot more movement necessary and he doesn't have a particularly good throwing arm. On top of that he's a fine defensive 1B (I'll just leave it at that) and LoMo is the more athletic of the two. Doesn't it stand to reason that the more athletic player should play the position that takes more athleticism?

If Gaby's end of the year numbers are reasonably close to what they are now, I would expect the Marlins to rethink Morrison being the first baseman of the future. Gaby is an above average first baseman defensively, meaning he is far from a liability there if the Marlins are trying to improve the defense of the infield. Coghlan will probably move into the infield, depending on what is done with Uggla/Cantu, meaning that Morrison will be in LF until Gaby stops hitting.

 

The bottom line is that Gaby probably can't play another position. If he's hitting and is inexpensive during club controlled years, I would expect him to be playing first base.

 

 

 

That's just an opinion, and not shared. But that's cool.

 

Why can't he play another position? Is he so nonathletic as to not be able to handle it? Explain that one, because I'm just not buying into it.

Read the 6/3 post-game thread. I provided numbers. He's a +3/+4 defender. That's way above average. It's objective proof; not just an opinion.

 

Obviously first base is a different type of position than the hot corner/outfield is; it's not really a lack of athleticism. Sanchez does not appear to have the arm for the outfield and did not play well at third base in the minors.

 

The front office is clearly considering putting Morrison in OF for now. That's why they have been giving him innings there. And the FO probably isn't is irrationally critical of Gaby's defense as you are. I'm sure they've seen the numbers. Notice that Sanchez did not DH during the interleague series. And I highly doubt that Cantu leaving the games now (instead of Sanchez) for the late-inning defensive shake-up has anything to do with the managerial change. Sanchez was lifted because of defensive improvements at third base and his bat was seen as less valuable than Cantu's was. Now that Cantu has been ice cold and Gaby has been hot, Gaby's bat is seen as more valuble, so they've been simply removing Cantu from the game and replacing him with Helms (or Barden who is better defensively than Helms is). This is because Cantu is bad defensively at both 1B and 3B.

"I am looking for more offense than defense at that position. Donnie is more of an offensive player than Barden,

 

What "position" is that? 4th or 5th slot on the bench?

 

Was he misquoted? Nobody, even most baseball players, who are generally expected to embarrass themselves while elucidating and pontificating about the sport usually spout that sort of gibberish.

 

Yet it's a verbatim quote.

 

"I think [Murphy] will bring not only power, but he is a better hitter than Barden,"

 

Huh? Everyone is a better hitter than Barden, Barden wasn't here to hit, he was here to be a defensive or injury-replacement guy to put his great glove to use in appropriate situations.

 

Rodriguez really does come off as a bit of a buffoon, assuming that you expect your manager to make comments that make at least some sense.

 

Based on his comments and record to-date, I'm not bullish on his longevity.

"I am looking for more offense than defense at that position. Donnie is more of an offensive player than Barden,

 

What "position" is that? 4th or 5th slot on the bench?

 

Was he misquoted? Nobody, even most baseball players, who are generally expected to embarrass themselves while elucidating and pontificating about the sport usually spout that sort of gibberish.

 

Yet it's a verbatim quote.

 

"I think [Murphy] will bring not only power, but he is a better hitter than Barden,"

 

Huh? Everyone is a better hitter than Barden, Barden wasn't here to hit, he was here to be a defensive or injury-replacement guy to put his great glove to use in appropriate situations.

 

Rodriguez really does come off as a bit of a buffoon, assuming that you expect your manager to make comments that make at least some sense.

 

Based on his comments and record to-date, I'm not bullish on his longevity.

Seriously? You're nitpicking his use of the word position?

 

Also, this is the big leagues. Barden has to hit. Not to mention we already have two guys on the bench we can use if we need to replace a guy on the infield and that Barden was generally second in line as a late inning defensive replacement, mainly because putting him in close games in late innings was too much of a liability with this bullpen. We don't need two guy to play 3B replacing Cantu/Gaby.

If Gaby's end of the year numbers are reasonably close to what they are now, I would expect the Marlins to rethink Morrison being the first baseman of the future. Gaby is an above average first baseman defensively, meaning he is far from a liability there if the Marlins are trying to improve the defense of the infield. Coghlan will probably move into the infield, depending on what is done with Uggla/Cantu, meaning that Morrison will be in LF until Gaby stops hitting.

 

The bottom line is that Gaby probably can't play another position. If he's hitting and is inexpensive during club controlled years, I would expect him to be playing first base.

 

 

 

That's just an opinion, and not shared. But that's cool.

 

Why can't he play another position? Is he so nonathletic as to not be able to handle it? Explain that one, because I'm just not buying into it.

 

 

:lol

 

As for your 2nd statement, why should Gaby have to switch positions? He is, statistically (1,000x more important than your opinion), an above average 1B this year, at the big league level. Why should he have to move? Because if he remains the Marlins 1B you'll continue to look foolish?

"I am looking for more offense than defense at that position. Donnie is more of an offensive player than Barden,

 

What "position" is that? 4th or 5th slot on the bench?

 

Was he misquoted? Nobody, even most baseball players, who are generally expected to embarrass themselves while elucidating and pontificating about the sport usually spout that sort of gibberish.

 

Yet it's a verbatim quote.

 

"I think [Murphy] will bring not only power, but he is a better hitter than Barden,"

 

Huh? Everyone is a better hitter than Barden, Barden wasn't here to hit, he was here to be a defensive or injury-replacement guy to put his great glove to use in appropriate situations.

 

Rodriguez really does come off as a bit of a buffoon, assuming that you expect your manager to make comments that make at least some sense.

 

Based on his comments and record to-date, I'm not bullish on his longevity.

 

Barden's role of defensive specialist on the team became useless. The Marlins need more of a bat in that role, right now. You're nitpicking a guy's comments which is unfair because we all know his English sucks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.