Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rumor: Octavio Dotel new closer?

Featured Replies

Rumors for Florida Marlins

Jul02

Florida Marlins have inquired about Octavio Dotel

Posted by: Brett Lahde | Comments 0 Comments and 0 Reactions Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse says the Florida Marlins have inquired about Pittsburgh Pirates right-handed closer Octavio Dotel.

 

The Marlins’ bullpen currently has a 4.66 ERA, 12 blown saves and 111 walks in 222 1/3 innings pitched and desparately need help if they want to compete in the NL East.

 

Other relief options include Todd Coffey and Carlos Villanueva of the Milwaukee Brewers. The Brewers have let teams know that both of the pitchers are available. Price says that the Brewers are expected to decide early next week whether to sell off players and rebuilt or go for it and make acquisitions.

 

Dotel, 36, is 2-1 with 17 saves and a 4.55 ERA this season with the Pirates.

 

 

 

Possible FO/Loria not ready to throw in the towel on this season??

 

 

 

In same source:

 

 

 

Florida Marlins:

 

  • The team looks like they will stay competitive and not sell.
  • If they become sellers, one exec wonders if Cody Ross and Dan Uggla could become available.

 

I like this rumor. I say go for it. If it doesn't work out there's offseason moves you can make. But yeah...this is a desparation move. And it may not work. It like putting gum over a leaking hole in a dam..won't work for good.

 

I don't want to see this season thrown in....but it's a matter of time. Need to WIN games now.Take Braves series for starters.

Are you guys holding out for Rivera or something?

 

Get him if you can. Give yourself some options. Spread out the workload and tailor the closer spot to strengths/weaknesses of opposing teams 9th inning lineup.

Are you guys holding out for Rivera or something?

 

Get him if you can. Give yourself some options. Spread out the workload and tailor the closer spot to strengths/weaknesses of opposing teams 9th inning lineup.

 

 

Agreed. Pirates are selling him, might as well take him and maybe he can be a bit better as a Marlin.

Are you guys holding out for Rivera or something?

 

Get him if you can. Give yourself some options. Spread out the workload and tailor the closer spot to strengths/weaknesses of opposing teams 9th inning lineup.

 

 

 

No, I'm waiting for nothing. It's not as if Dotel is a free agent and we can just pick him up. He has 18 saves, so I'm sure we'd have to give up at least a prospect to get him. No thanks. We're not a contender. Not even a .500 team, at the moment. We should be looking to sell, if anything.

Are you guys holding out for Rivera or something?

 

Get him if you can. Give yourself some options. Spread out the workload and tailor the closer spot to strengths/weaknesses of opposing teams 9th inning lineup.

 

 

 

No, I'm waiting for nothing. It's not as if Dotel is a free agent and we can just pick him up. He has 18 saves, so I'm sure we'd have to give up at least a prospect to get him. No thanks. We're not a contender. Not even a .500 team, at the moment. We should be looking to sell, if anything.

 

Send them Barden and see if they fall for it?:whistle

3.38 ERA in save situations compared to Leo's 3.67. We'd be trading for theoretically the same guy, just much older. Yeah, no.

3.38 ERA in save situations compared to Leo's 3.67. We'd be trading for theoretically the same guy, just much older. Yeah, no.

 

 

I don't think that Dotel is really an improvement in the closer role, but the one positive thing it would do would be to move Leo up to the setup role, where not only do I think he would pitch better, but even if he remains the same he would be better than everyone there not named Hensley.

 

It'd be an improvement in the bullpen, even if not really an improvement in the closer role.

 

Still, I wouldn't really give up much to improve this team now. Do what's best for the future.

3.38 ERA in save situations compared to Leo's 3.67. We'd be trading for theoretically the same guy, just much older. Yeah, no.

 

 

I don't think that Dotel is really an improvement in the closer role, but the one positive thing it would do would be to move Leo up to the setup role, where not only do I think he would pitch better, but even if he remains the same he would be better than everyone there not named Hensley.

 

It'd be an improvement in the bullpen, even if not really an improvement in the closer role.

 

Still, I wouldn't really give up much to improve this team now. Do what's best for the future.

Exactly. Sure, it'd give us a little bit more depth in the pen for the short term but at 9.5 back, short term isn't what we need to be focusing on.

3.38 ERA in save situations compared to Leo's 3.67. We'd be trading for theoretically the same guy, just much older. Yeah, no.

 

 

I don't think that Dotel is really an improvement in the closer role, but the one positive thing it would do would be to move Leo up to the setup role, where not only do I think he would pitch better, but even if he remains the same he would be better than everyone there not named Hensley.

 

It'd be an improvement in the bullpen, even if not really an improvement in the closer role.

 

Still, I wouldn't really give up much to improve this team now. Do what's best for the future.

 

 

In the unlikely scenario that this would occur, Octavio Dotel would become the setup guy, not Nunez. That's the way it usually works.

3.38 ERA in save situations compared to Leo's 3.67. We'd be trading for theoretically the same guy, just much older. Yeah, no.

 

 

I don't think that Dotel is really an improvement in the closer role, but the one positive thing it would do would be to move Leo up to the setup role, where not only do I think he would pitch better, but even if he remains the same he would be better than everyone there not named Hensley.

 

It'd be an improvement in the bullpen, even if not really an improvement in the closer role.

 

Still, I wouldn't really give up much to improve this team now. Do what's best for the future.

 

 

In the unlikely scenario that this would occur, Octavio Dotel would become the setup guy, not Nunez. That's the way it usually works.

 

I was thinking that as well, but the poster I was replying to was examining Dotel as if he would be out closer. I wouldn't remove Nunez from the role for a guy who is no better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.