Renteria

Iowa

Noticed this on rotoworld:

Edgar Renteria would like to retire as a Cardinal or Marlin.

Renteria's first nine big league seasons came in Florida and St. Louis and he of course made it to the World Series with both teams. Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was apparently one of the ones to talk Renteria into continuing his playing career, and with St. Louis looking for middle infield help, he could be a fit there as a backup and spot starter at both shortstop and second base. But despite his World Series heroics, Renteria's days as a fantasy option are over.

I mentioned this in the Uggla extension thread. If Uggla leaves, Renteria would be a solid fit at 2B.

I don't know that he'd have any better range than Uggla and obviously wouldn't have the offense, but I wouldn't mind seeing him there anyway.

Of course he would. He's a SS.

I mentioned this in the Uggla extension thread. If Uggla leaves, Renteria would be a solid fit at 2B.

I don't know that he'd have any better range than Uggla and obviously wouldn't have the offense, but I wouldn't mind seeing him there anyway.

A rather old one. Jeter's about the same age, isn't he? There's a lot of talk about Jeter's range these days too.

A rather old one. Jeter's about the same age, isn't he? There's a lot of talk about Jeter's range these days too.

Unlike Jeter, Renteria can still play SS. If you can play a good SS, you can definitely play 2B. It takes more athleticism to play SS. I'm pretty sure that Renteria would not only be better than Uggla defensively, but also above average at the position, defensively.

Unlike Jeter, Renteria can still play SS. If you can play a good SS, you can definitely play 2B. It takes more athleticism to play SS. I'm pretty sure that Renteria would not only be better than Uggla defensively, but also above average at the position, defensively.

Those are a lot of generalizations to rely on when we're actually talking about one specific aging shortstop and one specific younger 2d baseman. And I'm not sure Renteria is still considered above average as a SS. But I do agree that he would probably provide pretty good defense at 2d, and like I said, I'd be happy to see him there. I was just saying I didn't think he would improve much on Uggla's range, which has been a specific knock on Uggla's defense.

There's been talk about Jeter's range forever. Part of it is he's declining, part of it is he's never had good range.