Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins announce first 2 Super Saturday Concerts

Featured Replies

The Marlins never had select or premium game prices on Saturdays because their attendance was so bad as it was. The Saturday ticket prices went up with the emergence of Super Saturday. If you can convince me the tickets didn't go up due to Super Saturday then I'm fine with watching baseball and going home.

 

And so your invalidating the statement that a Super Saturday show should appeal to everyone?

Let me guess you are hispanic?

 

 

As we can tell just by this thread, they are never going to be able to appeal to everyone on Super Saturdays. Everyone has there own tastes. Come for the baseball. And if it makes you feel better, they are charging you more for fireworks, not for pitbull. :rolleyes:

 

While that might be true, they can and should try and meet more tastes on different nights. El Gran Combo, Willie Chirino, Pitbull, blah, blah, blah. Not fun when you do that for half of the people.

I think a majority of the reason that they have who they have because they are cheap and accessible. Most of these artists are already in the Miami area and can be got cheap. I mean it would be great to get U2, or Bruce Springsteen down here for super Saturday, but I think the caliber of Anglo artist that they can get for they money they are willing to spend, they feel they won't get the same return as they would with a local Hispanic artist. I mean I am as anglo as you can get, and I understand that Willy Chorino is gonna draw more than Smash Mouth. My one thing is they need to get younger. Drawing people in their 40s does nothing, their minds are made up when it comes to baseball, and who they root for (Mets, Yankees, wherever they came from). I liked when oar was there, because it was people my age (late 20s) or younger. These are the people we need to get to the ballpark more, they're young, they are rowdy so it makes the stadium more alive, and they have Miami roots so they are actually Marlin fans and not transplants. I wouldn't know any Latin younger acts, but bring them too. Granny might come out to the ballpark for Oscar Leon, but probably not for many more. Some 20 somethings come out for oar or pitbull, pound down some beers and have a blast, maybe they come back more often Hell get even younger with super Saturdays, get some Justin Bieber nickolodion type that attracts teens and tweens. We have to build for a fan base for years to come.

I would love for the price to stay the same as the other games. I don't need any of the garbage acts they feature to get me to go to the baseball game. I don't think it's right for them to charge more for the games on the most popular day to go anyway, and then most of the time play a performances they do that don't appeal to me. I hope they do away with Super Saturday all together an maybe just do fireworks. Most of the acts they have are an embarrassment to the franchise anyway.

 

Super Saturday doesn't make the games cost more, being on Saturday does. Every single team charges more on Saturday.

 

I really don't think any of arguments are valid.

The Marlins never had select or premium game prices on Saturdays because their attendance was so bad as it was. The Saturday ticket prices went up with the emergence of Super Saturday. If you can convince me the tickets didn't go up due to Super Saturday then I'm fine with watching baseball and going home.

 

And so your invalidating the statement that a Super Saturday show should appeal to everyone?

Let me guess you are hispanic?

The Marlins first made Saturday tickets cost more in 2004. So that.

 

And yes, I'm Hispanic. And no, I don't like any of that music. I don't listen to Pitbull or El Gran Combo, so I won't be staying for those. I've only stayed for a few of the concerts; Smash Mouth, KC and the Sunshine Band, Michael Jackson Tribute, Diddy, Village People, and probably some others that I don't remember (I did see some El Gran Combo in 2007 out of curiosity though). I am generally gone during the fireworks.

 

I think your argument isn't valid because where about half of the population is Hispanic, about half the concerts are Hispanic oriented. I also think your argument that the non-Hispanic groups have a wider range of appeal than the Hispanic groups is bunk, mainly because the ticket sales show the opposite.

I would love for the price to stay the same as the other games. I don't need any of the garbage acts they feature to get me to go to the baseball game. I don't think it's right for them to charge more for the games on the most popular day to go anyway, and then most of the time play a performances they do that don't appeal to me. I hope they do away with Super Saturday all together an maybe just do fireworks. Most of the acts they have are an embarrassment to the franchise anyway.

 

Super Saturday doesn't make the games cost more, being on Saturday does. Every single team charges more on Saturday.

 

I really don't think any of arguments are valid.

The Marlins never had select or premium game prices on Saturdays because their attendance was so bad as it was. The Saturday ticket prices went up with the emergence of Super Saturday. If you can convince me the tickets didn't go up due to Super Saturday then I'm fine with watching baseball and going home.

 

And so your invalidating the statement that a Super Saturday show should appeal to everyone?

Let me guess you are hispanic?

The Marlins first made Saturday tickets cost more in 2004. So that.

 

And yes, I'm Hispanic. And no, I don't like any of that music. I don't listen to Pitbull or El Gran Combo, so I won't be staying for those. I've only stayed for a few of the concerts; Smash Mouth, KC and the Sunshine Band, Michael Jackson Tribute, Diddy, Village People, and probably some others that I don't remember (I did see some El Gran Combo in 2007 out of curiosity though). I am generally gone during the fireworks.

 

I think your argument isn't valid because where about half of the population is Hispanic, about half the concerts are Hispanic oriented. I also think your argument that the non-Hispanic groups have a wider range of appeal than the Hispanic groups is bunk, mainly because the ticket sales show the opposite.

Saturday tickets might have been more than regular tickets since 2004, but there was an additional increase that came with Super Saturdays. There's no way walk up fish tank tickets have been 15 dollars for 7 years. I've been getting those tickets for years and distinctly remember an increase in Saturday tickets with Super Saturdays.

 

It's also a moral argument that can't objectively be invalidated. It depends if you think it's right do exclude half the population of the games by having a Spanish speaking performance or one that addressed the crowd in Spanish to make an extra buck. It's a subjective argument.

 

I asked if you were Hispanic not because I think you have a biased toward the Latin performances, but because you probably don't know what it feels like to be non-Hispanic and go to a Marlin game in America and not be able to understand the performer addressing the crowd after the game.

If someone doesn't speak English and they get an act that only speaks English is that person not excluded in the same way?

I would love for the price to stay the same as the other games. I don't need any of the garbage acts they feature to get me to go to the baseball game. I don't think it's right for them to charge more for the games on the most popular day to go anyway, and then most of the time play a performances they do that don't appeal to me. I hope they do away with Super Saturday all together an maybe just do fireworks. Most of the acts they have are an embarrassment to the franchise anyway.

 

Super Saturday doesn't make the games cost more, being on Saturday does. Every single team charges more on Saturday.

 

I really don't think any of arguments are valid.

The Marlins never had select or premium game prices on Saturdays because their attendance was so bad as it was. The Saturday ticket prices went up with the emergence of Super Saturday. If you can convince me the tickets didn't go up due to Super Saturday then I'm fine with watching baseball and going home.

 

And so your invalidating the statement that a Super Saturday show should appeal to everyone?

Let me guess you are hispanic?

The Marlins first made Saturday tickets cost more in 2004. So that.

 

And yes, I'm Hispanic. And no, I don't like any of that music. I don't listen to Pitbull or El Gran Combo, so I won't be staying for those. I've only stayed for a few of the concerts; Smash Mouth, KC and the Sunshine Band, Michael Jackson Tribute, Diddy, Village People, and probably some others that I don't remember (I did see some El Gran Combo in 2007 out of curiosity though). I am generally gone during the fireworks.

 

I think your argument isn't valid because where about half of the population is Hispanic, about half the concerts are Hispanic oriented. I also think your argument that the non-Hispanic groups have a wider range of appeal than the Hispanic groups is bunk, mainly because the ticket sales show the opposite.

Saturday tickets might have been more than regular tickets since 2004, but there was an additional increase that came with Super Saturdays. There's no way walk up fish tank tickets have been 15 dollars for 7 years. I've been getting those tickets for years and distinctly remember an increase in Saturday tickets with Super Saturdays.

 

It's also a moral argument that can't objectively be invalidated. It depends if you think it's right do exclude half the population of the games by having a Spanish speaking performance or one that addressed the crowd in Spanish to make an extra buck. It's a subjective argument.

There's also no way Fish Tank tickets have been 12 dollars on Wednesdays for 7 years. All the ticket prices have gone up, for every time in every sport.

 

Also, how about excluding half the population by having English speaking performances? That's not enough for you? You think they should be excluded 75% of the time then?

Also, how about excluding half the population by having English speaking performances? That's not enough for you? You think they should be excluded 75% of the time then?

Not really sure what you mean.

Are you saying that 100% of Hispanics at the game can't speak English?

 

 

We are saying the exact same thing as you except in reverse, to show you how fundamentally flawed your logic is.

 

But it almost seems like you are trying to spin this into a "Rab and I being biggoted" thing, which is just precious.

Are you saying that 100% of Hispanics at the game can't speak English?

 

 

We are saying the exact same thing as you except in reverse, to show you how fundamentally flawed your logic is.

lol, you can't just reverse the logic. the difference is that a large portion of Hispanics are bilingual, and English is the lingua franca so they would be able to to understand. Very few non-hispanics can speak Spanish. So you disclude 50% of the population entirely because a portion of Hispanics can't speak English?

lol, you can't just reverse the logic. the difference is that a large portion of Hispanics are bilingual, and English is the lingua franca so they would be able to to understand. Very few non-hispanics can speak Spanish. So you disclude 50% of the population entirely because a portion of Hispanics can't speak English?

 

 

No, you make a conscious decision to market towards a demographic that has, historically, turned out in greater numbers for this type of show. Obviously, there is a cost benefit to this, and the Marlins believe it works out for them in a positive way.

 

But being all super pissy that Pitbull spoke Spanish to the crowd and then saying it's OK for Susanna Hoffs or Bret Michaels to spoke to the crowd in English exclusively is silly.

 

 

Do you need to be able to understand the 5 words a group says between songs to enjoy their show?

English exclusively? Most Hispanics in America speak English. Your making it seam like hispanic-Americans have no association with the English language.

 

Cost benefit for the Marlins has 0% impact on why is should/shouldn't decide to attend the games for being left out

I have a feeling this conversation is going to turn political very soon. So... how bout those Marlins!

English exclusively? Most Hispanics in America speak English. Your making it seam like hispanic-Americans have no association with the English language.

 

Cost benefit for the Marlins has 0% impact on why is should/shouldn't decide not to attend the games for being left out

 

 

Many hispanics in Miami do not speak English. It's hard to find exact numbers, but according to the census bureau, 67.9% of Miami-Dade Residents speak a language other than English in their home, and 50.9% of Miami-Dade residents are foreign born. In Broward, it's significantly lower, at 28.8& speaking a language other than English in their home and 25.3% being foreign born.

 

You are talking about like 2.25 million people between MD and Broward counties who speak a language other than English in their homes and something like 2 million people who were not born in this country.

 

In the US hispanic population, 9 percent do not speak English. I would guess this is siginficantly higher in areas like Miami that have deeply Hispanic communities. Even if 1/4 of those do not speak English (which could be underselling it), that's a huge number.

 

There's an exceptionally sizable group of people who do not speak English in this area, and if they are more likely to come out to a show that is marketed towards them than any other group is, and it affects the Marlins' bottom line, then they have no reason not to market towards them.

 

That you might feel personally insulted by their business decision doesn't matter, except to you. I might be upset that they got rid of Cameron Maybin this offseason, but you don't make business decisions based on the feelings of individual people in the fan base. That's stupid.

 

You are criticizing the Marlins for a bottom line business decision that you have taken offense to (even though it is decidedly not offensive), and you are making a weird, almost latently racist argument to justify it. You don't look good here. I'd drop it. It's business. They aren't excluding you, they are marketing towards a different group. You are taking it personally when it's just business.

 

To be honest, nobody cares if you go or don't. You are trying to argue that the Marlins are erring by making this decision, when I think it's clear they are making a smart business decision, because most non-Spanish speakers (save you) do not feel anything regarding their hispanic acts.

English exclusively? Most Hispanics in America speak English. Your making it seam like hispanic-Americans have no association with the English language.

 

Cost benefit for the Marlins has 0% impact on why is should/shouldn't decide to attend the games for being left out

 

48% of people in South Florida speak a non-English at home. About half of those don't speak English very well.

 

In Miami Dade, there are only about 27% English-Only speakers. I know that skews in my direction, but I don't have the numbers for Broward.

English exclusively? Most Hispanics in America speak English. Your making it seam like hispanic-Americans have no association with the English language.

 

Cost benefit for the Marlins has 0% impact on why is should/shouldn't decide not to attend the games for being left out

 

 

Many hispanics in Miami do not speak English. It's hard to find exact numbers, but according to the census bureau, 67.9% of Miami-Dade Residents speak a language other than English in their home, and 50.9% of Miami-Dade residents are foreign born. In Broward, it's significantly lower, at 28.8& speaking a language other than English in their home and 25.3% being foreign born.

 

You are talking about like 2.25 million people between MD and Broward counties who speak a language other than English in their homes and something like 2 million people who were not born in this country.

 

Even if 1/3 of those do not speak English (which could be underselling it), that's a huge number.

 

There's an exceptionally sizable group of people who do not speak English in this area, and if they are more likely to come out to a show that is marketed towards them than any other group is, and it affects the Marlins' bottom line, then they have no reason not to market towards them.

 

That you might feel personally insulted by their business decision doesn't matter, excIept to you. I might be upset that they got rid of Cameron Maybin this offseason, but you don't make business decisions based on the feelings of individual people in the fan base. That's stupid.

 

You are criticizing the Marlins for a bottom line business decision that you have taken offense to (even though it is decidedly not offensive), and you are making a kind of creepy, almost latently racist argument to justify it. You don't look good here. I'd drop it.

First of all what's the difference what they speak in their home?

 

What's wrong with attracting Hispanic markets by having Hispanic performers who don't only speak Spanish, like the ones I named before.

 

I can guarantee you I am not the only non-Hispanic offended or left out by most of the performances being exclusively marketed to Hispanics. In my opinion the impact of offending a portion of half the fans at least equals how many Hispanic fans do come out to see the exclusive Hispanic performances. I'm an example of one and I know others first hand.

 

It would just be nice for everyone to be able to enjoy a show. Like they did with Nelly, or other performers from American pop culture.

 

It's my right to feel upset that the majority of the performances exclude me because I don't speak the language. And if it's only KIND OF creepy, and LATENTLY racist to you then I wouldn't go out on a limb and say that. If I don't "look good" to you then that's something I'm willing to sacrifice for my opinion.

 

But I'm definitely willing to drop it now.

I think the problem is that when you have a demographic of half white people and half Hispanic, there really isn't one type of music that appeals to both groups.

 

I suppose some mainstream pop might, particularly with a Latino vocalist, but it would have to be a petty big name and it's doubtful that the Marlins could book someone like that.

Some of my best friends are Hispanic...

 

About half of my friends my friends are Hispanic. I've been on this board consistently since 03' and never said anything a shred racist. I don't think the point I was making was racist, but if at least one person thinks it is then I won't continue.

When you take the fact that they are appealing to hispanics as a personal insult, it's a bit weird, don't you think?

 

I'm not saying you are a racist, I'm saying the argument you are making has some really uncomfortable undertones.

When you take the fact that they are appealing to hispanics as a personal insult, it's a bit weird, don't you think?

 

I'm not saying you are a racist, I'm saying the argument you are making has some really uncomfortable undertones.

 

 

I don't care if 100% of the acts are by Hispanic performers, just make it so everyone can enjoy the music. I don't think there is anything weird about that. Is an African American or Hispanic-American standing up for feeling excluded in society looked at as racist?

 

I think it's a touchy subject than can be seen as having racist undertones just by the subject matter alone, but I don't think what I've been saying is racist.

You can't enjoy the music because the acts are speaking in Spanish?

 

I'd say it eliminates a huge aspect of the music for me. Not being able to understand lyrics that is. There's nothing we can debate that can change that either.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.