I hate FSN

Well, here I am in Orlando, and I'm trying to watch the Marlins game today since there actually isn't a Magic game to preempt me over here.

So what do I get instead of baseball? Some kind of street basketball league game that I've never seen before, even though my DVR says that the Marlins game should be on.

This is getting to the point where I need to call up BrightHouse and yell at them. They don't even let you have FSN on regular cable, I have to have digital to even get this station (despite the fact it's like channel 55 here, and they used to cover it on regular cable until the middle of last year).

So in summary, FSN can go to hell.

I really don't get the baseketball thing either. I was shocked to find FSN showing this stuff and was thoroughly relieved to find that Brighthouse was still offering the free preview of MLB extra innings.

I'm watching on channel 542 and it is the Astros broadcast, which makes it not feel like watching the Marlins.

You hate Brighthouse, not FSN.

Brighthouse isn't pre-empting my games. The only thing they're responsible for is the cable thing, which I can deal with. But FSN has broadcast maybe one or two of the Marlins' games since the season started, thanks to Magic games taking precedence along with various other things.

Are you really surprised? The Lightning were on Sun, so FSN showed the Rays game. Did you expect them to show a Miami team over a Tampa team in Central Florida?

When I turned it on before 8 PM they were showing some kind of indoor street basketball game. All of this while my DVR said the game should have been on.

Well, here I am in Orlando, and I'm trying to watch the Marlins game today since there actually isn't a Magic game to preempt me over here.

So what do I get instead of baseball? Some kind of street basketball league game that I've never seen before, even though my DVR says that the Marlins game should be on.

This is getting to the point where I need to call up BrightHouse and yell at them. They don't even let you have FSN on regular cable, I have to have digital to even get this station (despite the fact it's like channel 55 here, and they used to cover it on regular cable until the middle of last year).

So in summary, FSN can go to hell.

I already beat you to that complaint the other night. Welcome to the club. It's not Brighthouse's fault, it's FSN. They black us out for Marlins because we're in Rays territory.

And then MLB.tv can't let us watch Marlins or Rays games because FSN/SUN have an agreement that Central Florida is blacked out for both the Marlins and the Rays.

Basically, it's FSN's way of saying "if you live in Orlando, be a Rays fan. kthxbye."

You hate Brighthouse, not FSN.

No, he hates FSN. Brighthouse has nothing to do with them blacking out the Marlins up here. That call is completely on FSN/SUN.

I'm almost positive that Brighthouse decides which FSN Florida feed they want. Plus, they didn't blackout the Marlins, they just showed the Rays instead; that's not the same as blacking out.

Right now you're getting mad at them for showing Rays games instead of Marlins games in Rays territory.

I already beat you to that complaint the other night. Welcome to the club. It's not Brighthouse's fault, it's FSN. They black us out for Marlins because we're in Rays territory.

And then MLB.tv can't let us watch Marlins or Rays games because FSN/SUN have an agreement that Central Florida is blacked out for both the Marlins and the Rays.

Basically, it's FSN's way of saying "if you live in Orlando, be a Rays fan. kthxbye."

That's not technically accurate. Central Florida is claimed by both the Rays and Marlins as a home market when it comes to television broadcasting. Under MLB's arcane broadcasting and territory rules, games are blacked out in the home territory unless they are shown on the regional network (ie Extra Innings, MLB.TV, MLB Network, etc are blacked out). It has nothing to do with FSN/Sun having a particular agreement, it has everything to do with MLB's rules dictating they be blacked out. You think we have it bad, check out the horror stories in Iowa and Arkansas, where those markets are claimed by up to 5 teams. yet aren't able to get any of those regional channels and thus are blacked out for all 5 teams. That's why I'm personally shocked some on here were able to catch the Astros broadcast of the game tonight on the free preview of EI.

Personally, I think FSN is savvy enough to realize the value in the Marlins and baseball in general over say Hockey, especially with the purported ratings the fsh have gotten over the years. They were savvy enough to sign a deal and get the over the air broadcast games of the Magic on FSN to force Brighthouse's hand and finally carry FSN after 11 years (and thereby the Marlins). I'm sure baseball advertising is quite profitable, which is why most Marlins games are on FSN while most Rays' are on Sun. If FSN wanted fans in Orlando to be only Rays fans (is there such a thing?!?), both teams games would be shown on the same channel and would be shown purely on a geographic basis. Instead, with a few exceptions throughout the season, both games on any given day will be shown. If you think FSN would rather have shown the Lightening game or an indoor basketball game instead of the fish, you're nuts.

I'm almost positive that Brighthouse decides which FSN Florida feed they want. Plus, they didn't blackout the Marlins, they just showed the Rays instead; that's not the same as blacking out.

Rab, trust me on this. The Marlins are in a shared MLB policy blackout due to FSN/SUN for MLB.tv.

The Marlins and the Rays also cannot be on at the same time, if I'm not mistaken. FSN chooses to air something else, not Brighthouse.

Rab, trust me on this. The Marlins are in a shared MLB policy blackout due to FSN/SUN for MLB.tv.

The Marlins and the Rays also cannot be on at the same time, if I'm not mistaken. FSN chooses to air something else, not Brighthouse.

Nope, they'll both be on at the same time provided the game is not scheduled to be broadcast on the same channel and there is no scheduling conflit w/ other sports w/ their own agreements. Though I'm not a Rays fan (they should have been Orlando's team, and as a result of shady back-door dealings from St. Pete, I will never be able to support them), I often flip back and forth between FSN and Sun, esp during Marlins commercial breaks.

The real problem here is baseball allows any number of teams to claim a particular territory as their home territory, creating this whole fiasco. Also blame the Marlins, who have all but abandoned the Central Florida market but have yet to remove the home territory tag like they had been rumored to do.

Yes, MLB has a blackout policy with every single network in the league, whether it be FSN, NESN, Rogers, or another. (Though I think they now have a deal with Cox 4 and YES Network if you can prove you are already subscribed to cable.) And changing that would actually be an issue between the teams, the league, the networks, and the cable companies.

But that's not what we're talking about here. The problem here was that they weren't showing the Marlins game on FSN because they were showing the Rays game on FSN as the Lightning were playing on SUN.

Oh, and when I meant they weren't blacking it out, I meant on cable. Like, they how they would blackout a game on TBS when the fish were playing the Braves.

Finally, I get both Marlins and Rays games on at the same time.

Nope, they'll both be on at the same time provided the game is not scheduled to be broadcast on the same channel and there is no scheduling conflit w/ other sports w/ their own agreements. Though I'm not a Rays fan (they should have been Orlando's team, and as a result of shady back-door dealings from St. Pete, I will never be able to support them), I often flip back and forth between FSN and Sun, esp during Marlins commercial breaks.

The real problem here is baseball allows any number of teams to claim a particular territory as their home territory, creating this whole fiasco. Also blame the Marlins, who have all but abandoned the Central Florida market but have yet to remove the home territory tag like they had been rumored to do.

Well I speak for Brighthouse strictly at UCF, where FSN is blacked out for Marlin games.