Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Joe Thurston

Featured Replies

I know I've said this before but it bears repeating. We need to call this guy up. Now. Right now. Like tonight. Waive Omar Poveda, put Thurston on the 40-man, send down Cousins/Martinez and call him up. Dude is straight raking in AAA (.321 .402 .455) and can play 2B, 3B, LF and RF. What is the reason he's still down there while Helms and Cousins are here?

 

 

 

It... does not... make... sense.

I'm creating a new rule: If you haven't shown even a little at the major league level by the time you are old enough to have earned a Phd, nobody is allowed to make a thread asking why you haven't been called up.

  • Author

I'm creating a new rule: If you haven't shown even a little at the major league level by the time you are old enough to have earned a Phd, nobody is allowed to make a thread asking why you haven't been called up.

 

That rule should be omitted if Wes Helms is on your team.

Not really.

 

Over the last 5 years, Wes Helms has a .657 OPS.

 

Joe Thurston has a .630 OPS at the major league level.

 

He's 32 in the PCL over 130 PAs. I could not care less what his numbers are.

 

Might as well call up Vinny Rottino too.

  • Author

Not really.

 

Over the last 5 years, Wes Helms has a .657 OPS.

 

Joe Thurston has a .630 OPS at the major league level.

 

He's 32 in the PCL over 130 PAs. I could not care less what his numbers are.

 

Might as well call up Vinny Rottino too.

 

If there's someone else to waive off the 40-man, I wouldn't be against it. He's been good the last two years with decent defense. He can't be any worse than Cousins.

 

And yeah, count OPS, sure. But Helms is a sh*t 3B. Really sh*t. Thurston can play numerous positions pretty decently. Way better PH/late inning replacement/rest day sub. If we're paying Helms a mil to do what he does, why not give Thurston league minimum and try him out? Worst comes to worst he goes back down. Its not like we need his spot on the 40-man for some highly regarded prospect about to come up.

Have u noticed he has major league experience? He looks like a helms level hitter, at best, and he is no cousins in the outfield, and not that its necessary but Peterson is hitting better in the Minors. So lets stick with the youth.

The PCL has a way of producing inflated numbers, the Marlins have had a lot of big boppers in Albuquerque over the years like Stratton and McPherson that couldn't hit squat in the majors. Thurston would be player to call up only in an emergency, certainly isn't worth sacrificing a 40 man spot for.

Scott Cousins had a .797 OPS at AAA last year at 25. Joe Thurston had a .736 OPS at AAA last year at 31.

 

And Scott Cousins is a very good defensive outfielder.

 

I can't even believe I'm arguing about Joe bleeping Thurston... He's terrible. Jesus.

I'd rather have Oscar Salazar on the team, if you're gonna create a thread about something like this...

Like, maybe he's better than Wes Helms. That's not even guaranteed. And Wes Helms has a guaranteed contract, so he's not going anywhere.

 

Maybe he's better than Cousins or Peterson. But those guys are actually young and might have potential. Thurston is 32. He's probably going to be out of baseball in two years.

 

Crap is crap. Crap doesn't stop being crap because of 120 good PAs in the PCL at 32 years old.

I actually think I'd rather have Wes Helms on the team (never thought I'd say this).

 

But yeah, we kinda already have a bench filled with left-handed hitters. As far as I'm concerned, a right-handed bat would be better if we're calling someone up.

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

It's super super high, .372.

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

It's super super high, .372.

 

Whats his LD%? Where are you getting those stats? I'm sure not high enough to justify that, since it would have to be 26%, although he does have some speed based on his SB numbers,

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

It's super super high, .372.

 

Whats his LD%? Where are you getting those stats? I'm sure not high enough to justify that, since it would have to be 26%, although he does have some speed based on his SB numbers,

I calculated his BABIP myself.

 

Getting minor league splits is a bitch since minorleaguesplits closed.

  • Author

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

No room for that kind of BA on the team with a .161 and .000 here, both of which can only play outfield spots. And who cares how old he is? He's a bench guy. Petersen and Cousins are probably both career bench guys. So who cares? Its not like Cousins and Petersen are future starters or any type of decent prospect.

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

No room for that kind of BA on the team with a .161 and .000 here, both of which can only play outfield spots. And who cares how old he is? He's a bench guy. Petersen and Cousins are probably both career bench guys. So who cares? Its not like Cousins and Petersen are future starters or any type of decent prospect.

1) Because that's TOTALLY how that works. Don't act dumb, you know that PCL .300 isn't MLB .300. You know Thurston is basically doing nothing but facing terrible, scrubby pitchers. Acting dumb to drive your point just makes you seem dumb, it doesn't make your point seem better.

 

2) Cousins is totally gone.

 

And it matters because PeteyPipes and Cousins might surprise you. Thurston has been established as horrible.

  • Author

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

No room for that kind of BA on the team with a .161 and .000 here, both of which can only play outfield spots. And who cares how old he is? He's a bench guy. Petersen and Cousins are probably both career bench guys. So who cares? Its not like Cousins and Petersen are future starters or any type of decent prospect.

1) Because that's TOTALLY how that works. Don't act dumb, you know that PCL .300 isn't MLB .300. You know Thurston is basically doing nothing but facing terrible, scrubby pitchers. Acting dumb to drive your point just makes you seem dumb, it doesn't make your point seem better.

 

2) Cousins is totally gone.

 

And it matters because PeteyPipes and Cousins might surprise you. Thurston has been established as horrible.

1) His minor league equivalency numbers based on what he's doing right now in NO: .272/.338/.433, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 10/21 BB/K. Park adjusted: .269/.336/.428. Tell me you wouldn't take that over Cousins/Petersen.

 

2) I made this thread before the Cousins demotion.

While the BA and OBP are nice, a .134 ISO in the PCL isn't blowing anyone away. I don't know his babip #s, but if the BA normalized even to .300, his OPS would barely be over .800, which is very eh for a 32 yr old in the PCL.

 

No room for that kind of BA on the team with a .161 and .000 here, both of which can only play outfield spots. And who cares how old he is? He's a bench guy. Petersen and Cousins are probably both career bench guys. So who cares? Its not like Cousins and Petersen are future starters or any type of decent prospect.

1) Because that's TOTALLY how that works. Don't act dumb, you know that PCL .300 isn't MLB .300. You know Thurston is basically doing nothing but facing terrible, scrubby pitchers. Acting dumb to drive your point just makes you seem dumb, it doesn't make your point seem better.

 

2) Cousins is totally gone.

 

And it matters because PeteyPipes and Cousins might surprise you. Thurston has been established as horrible.

1) His minor league equivalency numbers based on what he's doing right now in NO: .272/.338/.433, 2 HR, 8 RBI, 10/21 BB/K. Tell me you wouldn't take that over Cousins/Petersen.

 

2) I made this thread before the Cousins demotion.

MLEs are bulls***, which is why Stanton didn't come up and hit .300. And that's that Stanton didn't play in a sh*tty league. BTW, how are his MLE HRs the same as his MiL HRs?

 

Also, you made that post after his demotion.

  • Author

MLEs are bulls***, which is why Stanton didn't come up and hit .300. And that's that Stanton didn't play in a sh*tty league. BTW, how are his MLE HRs the same as his MiL HRs?

 

Also, you made that post after his demotion.

 

So they didn't pan out for Stanton. Doesn't make them bulls***. And it was before I heard about it. Whatever.

MLEs are bulls***, which is why Stanton didn't come up and hit .300. And that's that Stanton didn't play in a sh*tty league. BTW, how are his MLE HRs the same as his MiL HRs?

 

Also, you made that post after his demotion.

 

So they didn't pan out for Stanton. Doesn't make them bulls***. And it was before I heard about it. Whatever.

They're always bulls***.

  • Author

MLEs are bulls***, which is why Stanton didn't come up and hit .300. And that's that Stanton didn't play in a sh*tty league. BTW, how are his MLE HRs the same as his MiL HRs?

 

Also, you made that post after his demotion.

 

So they didn't pan out for Stanton. Doesn't make them bulls***. And it was before I heard about it. Whatever.

They're always bulls***.

So I guess you're smarter than Bill James, who has said they're the most important concept he's come up with.

MLEs are bulls***, which is why Stanton didn't come up and hit .300. And that's that Stanton didn't play in a sh*tty league. BTW, how are his MLE HRs the same as his MiL HRs?

 

Also, you made that post after his demotion.

 

So they didn't pan out for Stanton. Doesn't make them bulls***. And it was before I heard about it. Whatever.

They're always bulls***.

So I guess you're smarter than Bill James, who has said they're the most important concept he's come up with.

Concept... Did he call it the best thing he ever came up with? No. Because it doesn't work right.

 

BTW, what were Nic Ungs' MLEs that year cornfield was calling for him?

 

Joe Thurston is the new Nic Ungs.

  • Author

MLEs are bulls***, which is why Stanton didn't come up and hit .300. And that's that Stanton didn't play in a sh*tty league. BTW, how are his MLE HRs the same as his MiL HRs?

 

Also, you made that post after his demotion.

 

So they didn't pan out for Stanton. Doesn't make them bulls***. And it was before I heard about it. Whatever.

They're always bulls***.

So I guess you're smarter than Bill James, who has said they're the most important concept he's come up with.

Concept... Did he call it the best thing he ever came up with? No. Because it doesn't work right.

 

BTW, what were Nic Ungs' MLEs that year cornfield was calling for him?

 

Joe Thurston is the new Nic Ungs.

MLEs are for offensive players only, not pitchers (at least James' MLE formula).

 

Also, I'm not saying "OMG START THE GUY RIGHT NOW BECAUSE HE'S HITTING IN THE MINORS!". I'm saying call him up and give him a shot as long as we have guys up here not doing sh*t on the bench. Thurston is much more versatile than anyone else we have on the bench right now and I'm convinced he could hit well enough to stay up here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.